LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 127 users in the forums

Kaden Smith - TE- Stanford, claimed by NY Giants

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by elguapo:
This guy is incredible. His vert is great for contested catches and while not fast he has great hands and wins all 50/50 balls. Most his best plays were on 3rd down dam!!!! This guy will be our #2

He has to go thru Ross Dwelley first and oNe dOeS nOt siMpLy tAkE hIs sPoT

Hahahaha so true. That's their tell when they are bluffing
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
This guy is incredible. His vert is great for contested catches and while not fast he has great hands and wins all 50/50 balls. Most his best plays were on 3rd down dam!!!! This guy will be our #2

32 inch vertical plus he's 6 foot 5 inches. Definitely an ally oop play in the back endzone for a TD - kind of player.
This was a head scratcher pick for me....this draft was chalk full of TE talent and while it was a 6th rd pick they should have been able to maneuver around to get someone better IMO.

Foster Moreau in the late 4th would have been much better IMO.

whatever I guess, I'm not gonna hold my breath on this kid.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This was a head scratcher pick for me....this draft was chalk full of TE talent and while it was a 6th rd pick they should have been able to maneuver around to get someone better IMO.

Kyle's proven to be able to strike gold at the TE position in the 5th round. This guy was one round later, so maybe Kyle strikes silver instead of gold.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Kyle's proven to be able to strike gold at the TE position in the 5th round. This guy was one round later, so maybe Kyle strikes silver instead of gold.

TE2...already has a better skill set than Celek and looks like a great option on seam routes especially in the RZ.
Not gonna question this FO when it comes to TEs. But if you can walk and cover this guy it's a problem
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Not gonna question this FO when it comes to TEs. But if you can walk and cover this guy it's a problem

You're putting way too much stock in his 40 time. He's not going to be running go routes.
7.08 sec 3 cone drill
4.47 sec 20 yard shuttle
Both of which are faster than DK Metcalf's times...

Shanny got Celek open a bunch of times, but he kept dropping the damn ball. This guy appears to catch everything.
[ Edited by WolfTotem on May 2, 2019 at 3:50 AM ]

Yeah, he's a Niner now so I'm rooting for him!

I just thought this draft was hot fire at TE and they could have gotten a better prospect.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
People get way to caught up in 40 times, I have no issue with the Smith pick, he was productive in 2 seasons at Stanford, 7 TDs, there's a reason I hate the combine, it makes no sense to judge a player by what they do in shorts vs on tape.

I never said anything about 40 time. I never said anything about the combine. In fact the one thing i said was he couldn't get open in yhe pac 12. That was from watching "tape" not watching combine highlights.

Yeah, he's a Niner now so I'm rooting for him!

I just thought this draft was hot fire at TE and they could have gotten a better prospect.

Kaden was considered by quite a few draft analysts as among the top 10 TE prospects in this class. Saw him projected to the Patriots in some mocks. Smith had 600+ receiving and comes from one of the college TE factories in Stanford (Ertz, Fleener, Jim Dray a few names out there). Knock was he came out a little too soon. So perhaps a bit of rawness, but the outside of a lack of straight line speed, he shows a solid all-around skillset and seemed to be more than worth the pick at that point in the draft. Could be a decent throwback style, traditional tight end.

Looks like this guy has a big catch radius...doesn't seem to have alligator arms going across the middle...NICE...
Originally posted by krizay:
People get way to caught up in 40 times, I have no issue with the Smith pick, he was productive in 2 seasons at Stanford, 7 TDs, there's a reason I hate the combine, it makes no sense to judge a player by what they do in shorts vs on tape.

I never said anything about 40 time. I never said anything about the combine. In fact the one thing i said was he couldn't get open in yhe pac 12. That was from watching "tape" not watching combine highlights.

Wouldn't worry about it. With all the weapons at Kyle's disposal, he'll be able to get open.
  • thl408
Anyone know how well does this guy run blocks?
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by krizay:

Wouldn't worry about it. With all the weapons at Kyle's disposal, he'll be able to get open.

Kyle could get any one of us open on a crossing route. No one should be worried.
Originally posted by thl408:
Anyone know how well does this guy run blocks?

I want to know as well. That'll be important taking over Celek's role.
Share 49ersWebzone