LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 418 users in the forums

"Big Play" Dre Greenlaw-OLB-Arkansas is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree, and the 49ers will have great depth next year with Kwon back. If Deebo and Emanuel develop and stick around next year - I don't know if they need to draft anybody high in the WR and LB spots. With Skule and Brunskill developing also, it seems like the OLine has decent depth. QB and RB has good depth too, and if Dwelly continues to develop, even the TE spot has some depth there too. I think DLine (because of Ford's injury/bad knees) and Sherman's age - that I'd look at DB and DLine in next year draft.

WR/OL should be looked at early IMO. I'm gonna say no to DL early.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Edge should be a priority. Blair will be out for a chunk of 2020 due to injury. Ford has chronic knee issue and plays limited snaps.

We should target edge with our 1st round pick with the idea to eventually replace Ford in a few years.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Edge should be a priority. Blair will be out for a chunk of 2020 due to injury. Ford has chronic knee issue and plays limited snaps.

We should target edge with our 1st round pick with the idea to eventually replace Ford in a few years.

agree, plus Arik likely gone. Keep restocking the cupboard.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Dude has the work ethic and is coachable

He really learned quick watching Warner and Kwon...next man up was no prob for DG. I hope Azeez follows suit
Originally posted by LVJay:

He really learned quick watching Warner and Kwon...next man up was no prob for DG. I hope Azeez follows suit

Agreed. Two great young guys to learn from two studs in front of them. Keep up the great play Greenlaw
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agreed. Two great young guys to learn from two studs in front of them. Keep up the great play Greenlaw

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:

Let's hope nobody offers Saleh a head coaching job next year, that way we can keep the LB coaching steady and continuous.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Agree, and the 49ers will have great depth next year with Kwon back. If Deebo and Emanuel develop and stick around next year - I don't know if they need to draft anybody high in the WR and LB spots. With Skule and Brunskill developing also, it seems like the OLine has decent depth. QB and RB has good depth too, and if Dwelly continues to develop, even the TE spot has some depth there too. I think DLine (because of Ford's injury/bad knees) and Sherman's age - that I'd look at DB and DLine in next year draft.

ON the WR's and OLine - Unless McGlinchy somehow regresses this year (hopefully his recent troubles are just due to minor health issues) that OLine depth looks good. If Staley retires this year (hopefully after a super bowl win) I can see ShanaLynch going after an OLinemen in the mid to later rounds, possibly after trading back on that first rounder. As for Hurd, we don't even know what we have in him - and don't forget Taylor still has a shot at getting back on the team if he's 100% healthy. So, overall, unless Staley retires, I don't think ShanaLynch should look to offense this next draft cycle. I think - if there is an offensive concern - they probably could address it via free agency. I think that defensive line needs to be bolstered, I just don't think they will retain Aarik simply because I think they won't be able to afford him, and Dee Ford's injury continuing to affect his play time.
2 games and so far holding down the position. Good job
ON the WR's and OLine - Unless McGlinchy somehow regresses this year (hopefully his recent troubles are just due to minor health issues) that OLine depth looks good. If Staley retires this year (hopefully after a super bowl win) I can see ShanaLynch going after an OLinemen in the mid to later rounds, possibly after trading back on that first rounder. As for Hurd, we don't even know what we have in him - and don't forget Taylor still has a shot at getting back on the team if he's 100% healthy. So, overall, unless Staley retires, I don't think ShanaLynch should look to offense this next draft cycle. I think - if there is an offensive concern - they probably could address it via free agency. I think that defensive line needs to be bolstered, I just don't think they will retain Aarik simply because I think they won't be able to afford him, and Dee Ford's injury continuing to affect his play time.

I don't see SF just letting AA walk after developing him and not really reaping the benefits until now. IMO he will at the very least be tagged (possibly shopped if a deal can't be made). I also think AA wants to stay in SF. He's born and raise in Northern California. AB outlined a way they can get everyone resigned (Buck/Kittle/AA etc). Just restructuring JG's contract can free up like $19M. giving extensions to Juice/Tarrt and even K'Waun can lower the cap this upcoming yr... No one wants to push money down the road BUT they're gonna have like $200M in space come 2022. Backload Buck/Kittle you know they're here for the LT.

Also, I'm referring to the IOL. Person is on a team-option the next couple yrs and they can save around $2.5M moving on from him. Someone like Humphrey/Biadasz/Muti could be around end of the 1st to late 2nd. They would be upgrades and cheaper.

As far as WR it's more about the talent that will be available then it being a massive need. IMO Goodwin is gone and Pettis at this pt is just a body. Bourne is a depth piece and realistically they can upgrade at all three of those spots. The talent that should be around in the top 50 is much better than any three of those dudes.

Ford, is a package player...he's a pin your ears back and hit the QB. He wasn't brought in to play 1,000 snaps. I'm fine with how he's played/role. Up until today he hasn't missed a game. I'm fine using a later pick on a edge rusher to develop.

We will see, FA and who we resign will determine everything

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yup was kinda bummed Azeez went out, hopefully he's back for this game.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

yeah he's been a full participant at practice I believe. He's gonna play
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Thanks for the update NY, gonna be a frickin exciting game. I have a huge amount of faith in the LB's especially with the way Greenlaw stepped right in and made plays.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I don't see SF just letting AA walk after developing him and not really reaping the benefits until now. IMO he will at the very least be tagged (possibly shopped if a deal can't be made). I also think AA wants to stay in SF. He's born and raise in Northern California. AB outlined a way they can get everyone resigned (Buck/Kittle/AA etc). Just restructuring JG's contract can free up like $19M. giving extensions to Juice/Tarrt and even K'Waun can lower the cap this upcoming yr... No one wants to push money down the road BUT they're gonna have like $200M in space come 2022. Backload Buck/Kittle you know they're here for the LT.

Also, I'm referring to the IOL. Person is on a team-option the next couple yrs and they can save around $2.5M moving on from him. Someone like Humphrey/Biadasz/Muti could be around end of the 1st to late 2nd. They would be upgrades and cheaper.

As far as WR it's more about the talent that will be available then it being a massive need. IMO Goodwin is gone and Pettis at this pt is just a body. Bourne is a depth piece and realistically they can upgrade at all three of those spots. The talent that should be around in the top 50 is much better than any three of those dudes.

Ford, is a package player...he's a pin your ears back and hit the QB. He wasn't brought in to play 1,000 snaps. I'm fine with how he's played/role. Up until today he hasn't missed a game. I'm fine using a later pick on a edge rusher to develop.

We will see, FA and who we resign will determine everything

I can see your point on backloading Jimmy, Kittle and Buck - and freeing up cap space for Arik. However, with the injury situation the way it is on this team - backloading creates a whole new set of issues with regards to the cap if anyone of these backloaded players is injured. One option, is to let Arik go and retain cap flexibility and be able to replace Arik via draft and free agency, the other option is your option which is to retain Arik and back load some of our core players to do so, however you lose cap flexibility - and potentially entering cap hell.

I think what New England has done is opted for cap flexibility vs retaining some of their more talented players despite developing them. Jimmy G is a clear example of them having to choose between the cap and the player. I think releasing Trent Brown and Nate Solder are the other examples of this. New England has done a brilliant job of continuing to develop new players (Jimmy G/Jacoby Brissett - for example - and letting them go) and I think that is the path to how New England has been able to achieve a dynasty in the age of the salary cap.

However, that means that ShanaLynch has to continue to be as good in player evaluations as New England, and that's not an easy task to do.

I think Ford's health is deteriorating and no guarantee that next year he'll be able to even play half of what he's doing now, so I agree, a later round pick (maybe trade down that 1 for a 2nd?) to bolster that rush end is a good idea next year. As for the WR's - it's a strong class and I can see them drafting another WR, but I think if Deebo continues to develop, and they retain Emanuel and like what they see in Hurd they might just skip this WR draft. I can see Borne, Pettis, and Goodwin leaving the team - and being replaced by promising free agents and undrafted guys instead.

Man if they can swing a free agent deal and get Joey Bosa here when his contract is up, I'll be boggled. That would be like the Dee Ford/Jimmy Garoppolo deal!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Thanks for the update NY, gonna be a frickin exciting game. I have a huge amount of faith in the LB's especially with the way Greenlaw stepped right in and made plays.

I think Niners will do fine against Packers, I just hope we come out unscathed...we'll need all horses for the road trip
Share 49ersWebzone