LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

"Big Play" Dre Greenlaw-OLB-Arkansas is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can see him being traded for a third round pick as we go with Al-Shaair and have some other young guys developing at LB
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I can see him being traded for a third round pick as we go with Al-Shaair and have some other young guys developing at LB

I wouldn't. Let him play it out. Good player on a cheap rookie deal. The pick isn't worth it. We need all hands on deck in 2022. Plus all you need is one injury and there goes your depth.
  • thl408
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I wouldn't. Let him play it out. Good player on a cheap rookie deal. The pick isn't worth it. We need all hands on deck in 2022. Plus all you need is one injury and there goes your depth.

True, if Greenlaw plays well in 2022 then perhaps he can fetch a comp pick if he signs elsewhere as a free agent and the teams goes with Warner/AAShaair for the future. If Greenlaw gets injured again then he can come back for a reasonable deal if there's some extra cap space to use. I didn't see enough from Flanigan Fowles or Marcel Harris to be comfortable with either one of them as first off the bench in case of injury.
Originally posted by thl408:

True, if Greenlaw plays well in 2022 then perhaps he can fetch a comp pick if he signs elsewhere as a free agent and the teams goes with Warner/AAShaair for the future. If Greenlaw gets injured again then he can come back for a reasonable deal if there's some extra cap space to use. I didn't see enough from Flanigan Fowles or Marcel Harris to be comfortable with either one of them as first off the bench in case of injury.

To add, there's still the chance we can sign him longterm, or perhaps Shaair takes a step back so I say keep the LB room stacked.

To add, there's still the chance we can sign him longterm, or perhaps Shaair takes a step back so I say keep the LB room stacked.

I'd only say hold on to him because of Warner. If Warner comes into next season looking like All-Pro Fred and not lost for half the season then trade Greenlaw or Azeez for as much as you can get. It would not shock me to see another unheard of guy step up like Azeez did this last season. Warner taking a step back was the real shocker IMO but with a new DC kind of understandable.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Greenlaw is the type of kid that would give hometown discount. Show the kid some loyalty and he'll pay you back!
Originally posted by walker807:

I'd only say hold on to him because of Warner. If Warner comes into next season looking like All-Pro Fred and not lost for half the season then trade Greenlaw or Azeez for as much as you can get. It would not shock me to see another unheard of guy step up like Azeez did this last season. Warner taking a step back was the real shocker IMO but with a new DC kind of understandable.

Warner came on at the end of last year. I'd have an offer ready for Greenlaw at the end of next season (2 or 3 years, so he is still relatively young and can still cash in on a big deal at the end of that 2nd contract) and see what happens. We have a lot of good problems on the horizon. Hopefully we can continue to bring in talent the way we have in the last 3 drafts.

There are great players, great locker room people, great people off the field, and great on the field tone setters. Greenlaw is a good player that falls into the latter two categories. You have to keep those kinds of people around. Think Jauan Jennings or Deebo on defense. Greenlaw is an on the field tone setter.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Feb 7, 2022 at 2:46 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I forgot about him. Too bad it's his last season in SF. He will probably be a Steeler next year.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I forgot about him. Too bad it's his last season in SF. He will probably be a Steeler next year.

He's a prime candidate to get paid next offseason by someone else

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
XTEND HIM
No matter what happens with him in the future, I will always remember and appreciate that play against the Seahawks.
Originally posted by fropwns:
XTEND HIM

I concur. We can let Shaair go even though he's a stud
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by fropwns:
XTEND HIM

I concur. We can let Shaair go even though he's a stud

I would actually redo the LB's and let Greenlaw and Shaair go. Both seem fragile.
So solid. So underrated.

Name me a better trio of LB's than Al-Shaair; Dre Greenlaw & Fred Warner....
Share 49ersWebzone