There are 130 users in the forums

Mitch Wishnowsky - Punter (Utah) is a 49er

  • bud49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,091
I'm anxious to see how Lynch and Shanahan spin this pick, media needs to grill them in this one.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 49,051
Punter was a need and we got the best one in the draft and we got more picks. If he's good, it won't matter.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We drafted a 27 year old punter with a 4th round pick. There were lots of other needs for this team to fill. There were still some good players available on the board. Just a ridiculous pick. You can get a punter in the 7th round or UDFA.

This team needs to watch film on how the Patriots draft. These last 2 picks especially prove they don't know what they are doing.


......

You can't get the best punter in the draft in the 7th or as an UDFA. The 4th is early, but this guy would have been gone by our next pick. Pinion gave us zero advantage with field position. This will most likely change with Mitch.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We drafted a 27 year old punter with a 4th round pick. There were lots of other needs for this team to fill. There were still some good players available on the board. Just a ridiculous pick. You can get a punter in the 7th round or UDFA.

This team needs to watch film on how the Patriots draft. These last 2 picks especially prove they don't know what they are doing.


......

Patriots took a long snapper in the 5th a couple years ago. Bad example of a team if you want to criticize taking special teams too early.

A 5th is not the same as a 4th. With the Patriots track record they can do what they want. This team needs to go to the film room and watch how the Patriots deal and pick in the draft.
Here for the comments and the Webzone didn't disappoint.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,796
Only the blind homers love this pick, ridiculous to take a punter in the 4th round.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Only the blind homers love this pick, ridiculous to take a punter in the 4th round.

Ridiculous pick. We got Bosa so the rest is gravy for me but im not a fan of this draft at all past round 1.

every pick seems pre-mature by a round or 3.
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 27, 2019 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
A 5th is not the same as a 4th. With the Patriots track record they can do what they want. This team needs to go to the film room and watch how the Patriots deal and pick in the draft.

Patriots do whatever the hell they want in the draft. Seems 9ers are following suit.
Originally posted by Garce:
Punter was a need and we got the best one in the draft and we got more picks. If he's good, it won't matter.

I would have been good with the 2nd best punter in the 6th or 7th round.

On a team that was this bad? Oh gawd,....is Lynch out of here in 1 year or 2?
Originally posted by bud49:
I'm anxious to see how Lynch and Shanahan spin this pick, media needs to grill them in this one.

I hope Shanahan just stares at them and says "We needed a Punter, so who gives a f**k if it was in the 4th or 5th? He's a guy we expect to be a starter for this team for 10 years."

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by teylo31:
People justifying a punter in the 4th is hilarious

There's nothing wrong with it if you get a good one. Dickson was fantastic for Seattle. They don't regret it.

The issue is what they aren't addressing. But punters can easily be worth 4ths.

Special teams is so undervalued by the fans and most of the good teams understand how important it is.

You really think Seattle cared about people laughing at them for taking a punter in the 5th? He was by far one of their most important players last season.
Good read on his background... https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/16/mitch-wishnowsky-utah-australian-punters-prokick
  • Garce
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 49,051
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Garce:
Punter was a need and we got the best one in the draft and we got more picks. If he's good, it won't matter.

I would have been good with the 2nd best punter in the 6th or 7th round.

I am not thrilled about it either but we drafted an instant starter in the 4th with the best available at the position.

The dude we would have drafted at any other position likely isn't a starter. So I think you can justify in that line of thinking.
Share 49erswebzone