LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

Mitch Wishnowsky - Punter (Utah) is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by walker807:
Mitch doing his part pinning teams back and letting the defense feast. I think I've only seen one shanked punt all year too. Tweet was from Wagoner:

49ers P Mitch Wishnowsky has dropped 26.1% of his punts inside the opponent's 10-yard line this year. That's second-best in the NFL. And 52.2% of his punts inside the 20, which is best in NFL by ~4%.

For a 4th rounder he better be. Lol jk, there's people still crying about him being a 4th rounder pick.

Nice!!!! Mitch has turned into a pro bowl punter. A lot of us wanted Chauncey Gardner but getting a pro bowl punter with a 4th round pick isn't such a bad pick at all. I'm glad to eat some crow on this one
  • thl408
Mitch doing his part pinning teams back and letting the defense feast. I think I've only seen one shanked punt all year too. Tweet was from Wagoner:

49ers P Mitch Wishnowsky has dropped 26.1% of his punts inside the opponent's 10-yard line this year. That's second-best in the NFL. And 52.2% of his punts inside the 20, which is best in NFL by ~4%.

For a 4th rounder he better be. Lol jk, there's people still crying about him being a 4th rounder pick.

I cried about a punter being a 4th round pick. But when Wish punts like those stats show, that justifies selecting a punter in the 4th round. Stud.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Mitch is no small part of our defensive success. He's flipped so many fields and pinned so many teams
When did Mitch make the pro bowl?
So do you guys think the turnaround was getting rid of Hightower?

Possibly, feels like having him stop doing kickoffs has helped too.
Punting is a craft. He has always had talent but has developed his game. Andy Lee was ok his first few years then became a stud for us.
  • irief
  • Veteran

Possibly, feels like having him stop doing kickoffs has helped too.

This seems like the answer. His leg isn't the strongest, which is apparent on his kickoffs.
He's having a good season, but would have to have been at least a perennial pro bowler since year one to be worth a 4th.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran

Absolutely. Hightower was a dud
Originally posted by Goatie:

Absolutely. Hightower was a dud

Wait. What? You mean he didn't go on to help the highly touted Bears ST squad flip the field and contribute to the win/loss column before being one of the first teams eliminated? And no fakes? Very surprised.

Originally posted by 49ers808:

Not yet but this year he is the best punter in the nfl.
2nd in punt percentage inside the 10
1st in punt percentage inside the 20
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by 49ers808:

As an avid Utah fan I've been so high on this kid since we drafted him. This thread has been quite a downer for me since it's inception just because of where we selected Mitch. Punters should really never be drafted that high, but he isn't in control of where he gets selected. But after 200 pages of I'm pleased to see people finally warming up to him.
[ Edited by NotAFinga42 on Dec 14, 2022 at 12:48 AM ]
  • irief
  • Veteran

That's great but how much is that due a good Niners offense punting from better field position? He's near the bottom for Average and even worse for net Average.
Originally posted by irief:

That's great but how much is that due a good Niners offense punting from better field position? He's near the bottom for Average and even worse for net Average.
Do you even think about what you're posting?

you want us to fail early on drives so he can fulfill your punting net needs… ridiculous
Share 49ersWebzone