There are 169 users in the forums

Mitch Wishnowsky - Punter (Utah) is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
At UCLA, hotel is next to football practice field. Punter is booming punts over the lites, and then aiming for different markers on sidelines. Also he had several kicks that came down what seemed impossible to catch. Wobblers, whatever they call them.

Just reminded me we got this guy who can kick wobblers, balls that come down at a crazy angle, can kick "grubbers" i believe they are called that are worm burners on the ground and then POP UP. With that kind of talent, i hope this is the yr they give WISH the green light more than once....actually a lot...to kick balls that are really, touchy to catch. The wind at home helps but he can do it without wind. When will we see all his trick stuff.?

Watching this kid kick next to the Hotel (is on UCLA campus along with RonReagan Hospital) kick the trick stuff, made me wonder why kyle didn't use it more than once (that i can recall)..
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
At UCLA, hotel is next to football practice field. Punter is booming punts over the lites, and then aiming for different markers on sidelines. Also he had several kicks that came down what seemed impossible to catch. Wobblers, whatever they call them.

Just reminded me we got this guy who can kick wobblers, balls that come down at a crazy angle, can kick "grubbers" i believe they are called that are worm burners on the ground and then POP UP. With that kind of talent, i hope this is the yr they give WISH the green light more than once....actually a lot...to kick balls that are really, touchy to catch. The wind at home helps but he can do it without wind. When will we see all his trick stuff.?

Watching this kid kick next to the Hotel (is on UCLA campus along with RonReagan Hospital) kick the trick stuff, made me wonder why kyle didn't use it more than once (that i can recall)..

They should've made him do those kicks last year when the season was lost.
Originally posted by Alfienator:

Excellent point.

Is this the UCLA punter? if yes then it is David Aker's kid, Luke Akers
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

Is this the UCLA punter? if yes then it is David Aker's kid, Luke Akers

Oh, that's too cool. The ones up and over the lights tho...awe inspiring. Those were not for distance tho. His distance punts are way lower. Probably the high jobs are ones aiming at 3-5 yd line and almost all bounced backward. High hang time let's guys get down and really be able to down punts inside 10. At least that's what it looked like. The "wobblers" or whatever WISH calls his, came down for Luke in a funky arc, and spinning completely erratically.
Kind of like catching a bunch of sharp knives. Helluva punter.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 4, 2021 at 1:08 PM ]
I am very disappointed with Wishnowski. His punts were mediocre yesterday. I would like to see them bring in another punter to challenge Wish. He is definitely not living up to being a 4th round draft pick.
Originally posted by Alfienator:

Excellent point.

Totally agree.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I am very disappointed with Wishnowski. His punts were mediocre yesterday. I would like to see them bring in another punter to challenge Wish. He is definitely not living up to being a 4th round draft pick.

This. He's been mediocre since we got him. Still don't see anything that made us use a damn 4th round pick on him that we couldn't get from an undrafted guy. I thought it would be for his threat to run it on 4th down but of course we haven't seen it yet.
Yes, but he can tackle like no other punter.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

This. He's been mediocre since we got him. Still don't see anything that made us use a damn 4th round pick on him that we couldn't get from an undrafted guy. I thought it would be for his threat to run it on 4th down but of course we haven't seen it yet.

Agreed

Originally posted by 49ers808:

Said it before and will do so again. I put this on the ST coach, who has not covered himself in glory by any means and with kyle running the O and watching every play on D (and probably making a bunch of the calls), he just hasn't had time to spend on STs, one of the things GOAT BW spent lots of time on. WISH has never , not once punted his Wobbler that comes down like a helicopter about to crash, and his grubber on K.O, which runs on the ground and then hops up 15 feet in the air. He's got others too, but thing is ST coach nor kyle have ever called for them.

Heck, give JL some extra duties and have him oversee the ST Coach and get WISH using some of his really tricked up kicks. It is supposed to be 1/3 of the game, and including punts, both coverage and returns, K. O.s and coverage and returns…as it is our STs have been bottom of the barrel and we can do better…a lot better. But it takes coaching and then a will to use the trick stuff.

As for the crappy KO and PR coverage…that is inexcusable. We need to , have to , do better.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Further solidifying his position as the 4th best punter in the NFC west, and horrible kicker to boot. 4th round pick.....indeed!

But keep making excuses for him, like people did for Solly. If only they brought an Aussie rules coach to take over ST, then we'd finally see the old man shine.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
There's gotta be some UDFA guy out there that can kick the ball into the damn end zone
I said it then and I will say it now.

Picking a punter with a draft pick is absolutely moronic.

Instead of drafting Chauncey Gardner Johnson who is a solid starting safety for the Saints now, we traded back and got an okay punter and TE who didn't make the team.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I said it then and I will say it now.

Picking a punter with a draft pick is absolutely moronic.

Instead of drafting Chauncey Gardner Johnson who is a solid starting safety for the Saints now, we traded back and got an okay punter and TE who didn't make the team.

Totally agree! Now just wait for all the BS metrics and excuses that'll be posted. They'll tell us not to believe our own eyes, or that it's somehow everyone else's fault he's no good. Bye now players show whether they have it or not, and Mitch clearly doesn't. Especially not for a 4th round pick of a punter. He's practically a liability on STs, especially kickoffs and holding for field goals.
Share 49ersWebzone