There are 273 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I have no idea which guys are going to be on the final roster but one thing I am sure of is that our receivers will be much better than the last couple of years. Add that to a hopefully healthy group of RB's and a healthy Jimmy and we should have some fun watching Kyle use his full playbook.

Yeah, it should be fun this year - I hope they're not going to be pressured into winning all their games. One step at a time - I think is best.
Bourne has been so good. This sums up how I feel now.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/126761-training-garoppolos-reception-verretts-highlight-practice-report-roundup/

Cam Inman, Bay Area News Group
Bourne making a strong case to be on the 53-man roster amid "crazy competition."
Originally posted by John_Candy:
Bourne has been so good. This sums up how I feel now.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/126761-training-garoppolos-reception-verretts-highlight-practice-report-roundup/

thanks for posting this. Makes me happy. Big Bourne fan. He took a step back last year, but watch those catches when Jimmy G first showed up in 2017. He was a hands catcher. Great RAC. Went over the middle fearlessly. Had chemistry right off the bat. I really think he has the potential to be a good WR on this team.
If Bourne and James keep making a case to both make the roster, I don't know how KS will decide the best 6 to keep. Maybe Hurd ends up with a fake injury, or PS K.Smith and list Hurd as the #3 TE/OW? Tough decisions ahead if nothing unforseen happens.
All Hurd has been allowed to do to this point is block and block he has. I'm starting to think he's moved to 2nd or 3rd TE by label which opens up another WR spot to retain Bourne (Z) and James (S/ST).

We all know the X, Y, Z spots are going to be interchangeable anyhow. Big time now.

LOL.

Seconds later I see this.

[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 2, 2019 at 6:25 PM ]
He hasn't taken a single snap inline as a TE, tho. I also haven't heard anything about carrying the ball as a RB. It sounds like he's just a WR at this point, which isn't surprising given he's a rookie in a complex offense.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 2, 2019 at 6:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
He hasn't taken a single snap inline as a TE, tho. I also haven't heard anything about carrying the ball as a RB. It sounds like he's just a WR at this point, which isn't surprising given he's a rookie in a complex offense.

Basically exactly what I wrote in the other thread, would be a lot to ask from a rookie to learn the playbook as a WR and TE.
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Basically exactly what I wrote in the other thread, would be a lot to ask from a rookie to learn the playbook as a WR and TE.

This is why I believe he might get stashed on an injury list early on. This allows the coaches more time to evaluate the other guys ahead of him and also allows Hurd a chance to get a better grasp of the offense.

If Hurd kicks a** over the next few weeks, then who the heck knows what will happen. My guess is someone is getting traded or KS will be forced to carry 7 WR's and be light at another position.
Damn, I keep reading Kendrick Bourne is doing well. I was thinking he was the odd man out. He's starting to grow on me,I don't like to judge but his damn instagram; this damn guy party's all kinds and seems like he's more into that. I remember seeing a story where he said he just parties on weekends blah blah blah... looking like matthews may be the odd man out, so much for buying that 81 off Taylor if that's the case

No, TE by label only. He's still a big slot. I know Kyle has him out at Z now but his role is essentially blocking in the run game; a big part of what Bourne did last year for us. The next step 'might' be to start sliding him inside more and see how he does as a big slot. We'll see...just getting creative with the roster. In the end, it's all about the active 46 anyhow.

This, dude isn't a TE...he a raw slot WR at this pt. I'm not sure we will see him active on games days early this yr.

Imo he was a project pick with massive upside, still think he was over drafted (67th meh) hope I'm proven wrong.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
What's the highest pick we can get for Bourne? 6th?
Originally posted by JMC52:
What's the highest pick we can get for Bourne? 6th?

What's the highest pick we can get for Mathews?
I predict that which ever receiver we cut ends up in Seattle and has a big year. Seahawks need receivers and any one of these guys could thrive playing with Wilson.
Max McCaffrey
Share 49ersWebzone