Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by DaBum:
The real question will be, who plays on game days assuming all are healthy. Kyle usually only activates 5 WR's on game day. With the extra running backs available to us now, who of all the offensive skill positions plays on game days?

My thinking is;
Jimmy & Mullen at QB,
Tevin, Breida & Mckinnon at RB
KJ at FB
Kittle & Dwelly at TE
Pettis, Deebo, Goodwin, Taylor, Hurd and I am going to say James. Hurd's potential versatility allows us to carry 6 on gameday and one less TE.

You forgot Mostert who counts as a RB. The 6th WR isn't possible with them.

You're right. Mostert makes it too. I also think they go with one less on the DL on gameday. Other than Ford....... Buckner, Armstead, Day, Thomas, Blair, Bosa and either Steet or Taylor can play multiple positions. I think they only carry 8 instead of 9 on the DL.

That seems very unlikely with Kocurek and Saleh's comments. Kocurek's system involves heavy rotation of players to keep fresh players in and get after it. This system will tire out players faster because they will be asked to crash in more. Not the type of system to carry less DL.
The real question will be, who plays on game days assuming all are healthy. Kyle usually only activates 5 WR's on game day. With the extra running backs available to us now, who of all the offensive skill positions plays on game days?

My thinking is;
Jimmy & Mullen at QB,
KJ at FB
Kittle & Dwelly at TE
Pettis, Deebo, Goodwin, Taylor, Hurd and I am going to say James. Hurd's potential versatility allows us to carry 6 on gameday and one less TE.

You're right. Mostert makes it too. I also think they go with one less on the DL on gameday. Other than Ford....... Buckner, Armstead, Day, Thomas, Blair, Bosa and either Steet or Taylor can play multiple positions. I think they only carry 8 instead of 9 on the DL.

That seems very unlikely with Kocurek and Saleh's comments. Kocurek's system involves heavy rotation of players to keep fresh players in and get after it. This system will tire out players faster because they will be asked to crash in more. Not the type of system to carry less DL.

You may be right and that's a good point. But I would hope that the DL players who make it should be able to play at least 1/2 the possible defensive snaps which would allow for 8 players. That said, Kyle will make final decisions on the 46 on game day. It will be interesting how the 46 tilts as far as offensive players vs defensive players.

My thinking is;
Jimmy & Mullen at QB,
KJ at FB
Kittle & Dwelly at TE

You may be right and that's a good point. But I would hope that the DL players who make it should be able to play at least 1/2 the possible defensive snaps which would allow for 8 players. That said, Kyle will make final decisions on the 46 on game day. It will be interesting how the 46 tilts as far as offensive players vs defensive players.

^^ are we just going to ignore that you said Dwelly will be our TE2?
Originally posted by Waterbear:

or Smith

or Smith

Toilolo is TE2. Trust me on that.
Toilolo is TE2. Trust me on that.

That's the thing that stuck out to me the most lol.
I may have been wrong and wrote Richie James off too soon. He may be challenging on the outside vs Bourne (and Matthews?) instead of competing directly against Taylor in the slot.
Originally posted by OsBoogie:
I may have been wrong and wrote Richie James off too soon. He may be challenging on the outside vs Bourne (and Matthews?) instead of competing directly against Taylor in the slot.

I'm not saying he's AB but his physical measurements are almost identical to him. I really think people are underestimating him because of his draft position and coming from a small school.
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I'm not saying he's AB but his physical measurements are almost identical to him. I really think people are underestimating him because of his draft position and coming from a small school.

Many, including myself, just were not happy with what he did with his opportunity to step in for Taylor last season in the slot. However, perhaps he should have been an outside guy all along.

In that case, he has more upside than Bourne, and is a ST contributor.

As for Matthews, he's never been much of an outside guy. I think this hurts him as long as both Taylor and Hurd are healthy.
[ Edited by OsBoogie on Aug 1, 2019 at 6:05 AM ]

I mean ABs physical measurements aren't anything special at all. I get what you're saying though.

AB wins because he's got amazing feet, great hands, an is a crazy worker. Richie is growing on me and the fact he can play inside/outside PLUS has ST ability gives him a good shot.

I think Matthews is as good as gone. Maybe they keep 7 WRs
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean ABs physical measurements aren't anything special at all. I get what you're saying though.

AB wins because he's got amazing feet, great hands, an is a crazy worker. Richie is growing on me and the fact he can play inside/outside PLUS has ST ability gives him a good shot.

I think Matthews is as good as gone. Maybe they keep 7 WRs

Yeah it's a slippery slope of me bringing up AB lol. I know it's just numbers but Richie was better in the 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle and smoked him in the vert and broad. We just haven't seen enough of James outside to form any opinion but I hope we keep him and an excited to see him develop.

You know what's funny? That's who I thought Richie James reminded me of as a Sophomore in college. Then he got hurt, and I completely forgot about him during Junior year and the draft process.

This release and hip drop is nasty as hell.

Originally posted by Heroism:

You know what's funny? That's who I thought Richie James reminded me of as a Sophomore in college. Then he got hurt, and I completely forgot about him during Junior year and the draft process.

This release and hip drop is nasty as hell.

Yeah I was just listening to Striking Gold and Crocker really likes him. He said that he almost "kissed his knees" and that's not something just anyone can do.
[ Edited by illinois9er on Aug 1, 2019 at 7:42 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for CatchMaster80.
I have no idea which guys are going to be on the final roster but one thing I am sure of is that our receivers will be much better than the last couple of years. Add that to a hopefully healthy group of RB's and a healthy Jimmy and we should have some fun watching Kyle use his full playbook.
Share 49ersWebzone