LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OsBoogie:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
An UDFA that's been in the same system for two seasons is not the same or worse than a vet coming off the street that's been on two different teams with no TC. But you keep comparing the last two seasons and bring up Bourne as a rookie, what about what Matthews done in his first year in the league?

I compared yards, yes, but so did you with Bourne and Matthews without looking at both of their situations. Sure I did with Goodwin and Matthews and it does favor Goodwin, but my point was to compare how effective Matthews was coming off the street somewhat. Not to show that Matthews is better than Goodwin.

And you're proving my point with mentioning 5 guys having more receiving yards a game, simply put, Bourne had QB's that like to spread the ball around.

I'm comparing who they are now. The most recent seasons. A UDFA in his second year in the league with Beathard and Mullens out performing a vet with Foles even if it's his first year in the system, to me, shows more promise for the second year player.

and proving your point? The eagles also had 5 guys with more YDS/G than Matthews last year. I'd say they also spread the ball around with the 2nd TE having nearly as many YDS/G as Matthews did. The Eagles are not happy with Agholor and were looking to trade him, yet Matthews was still the 5th receiving option on the team.

I don't see this huge value you seem to see in Matthews. Stats or actual play.

I think the problem is you're forgetting is the he's had nagging injuries the last three seasons. So of course he's gonna struggle to stick to a team, see significant time on the field or make any kind of real impact. But after all that, he was still good enough to come off the street and start.
I was thinking Goodwin might be a surprise cut early on. Listening to Kyle talk then hearing quotes from Marquise it feels like there is a bit of a disconnect. However I'm starting to think Bourne will be getting the boot along with possibly James unless both show a huge jump in their game.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
haven't posted in a while. My predictions.

Makes the team:
Deebo Samuel
Marquise Goodwin
Dante Pettis
Trent Taylor
Jordan Matthews
Richie James (special teams)

Stashed on PUP list just like Joe Williams for an "injury" :
Jalen Hurd

Cut:
Kendrick Bourne
Max McCaffery
Shawn Poindexter (practice squad)
Malik Henry (practice squad)

I concur. Pup is the key
If our #3 pick is put on Pup i will be surprised...and then amazed. This guy is touted as one of Kyle's 6 WR/TE/RB , and i fully expect him to be on the field opening day. If he is really injured that is another matter.

There are two downsides to getting more...and better WRs. First off that means we have to cut a starter WR...or two...and second, there is only 1 football, and :

Brieda
Coleman
Au jus,
Kittle
Toloilo
TT or Kaden , perhaps both
Hurd
Deebo
Bourne,
Goodwin
Plus 1 i am forgetting.

All for 1 football. Go figure.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 3, 2019 at 12:36 PM ]
Remember when people thought Dunbar was T.O 2.0 because he was 6'5 haha
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
If our #3 pick is put on Pup i will be surprised...and then amazed. This guy is touted as one of Kyle's 6 WR/TE/RB , and i fully expect him to be on the field opening day. If he is really injured that is another matter.

There are two downsides to getting more...and better WRs. First off that means we have to cut a starter WR...or two...and second, there is only 1 football, and :

Brieda
Coleman
Au jus,
Kittle
Toloilo
Hurd
Deebo
Bourne,
Goodwin
Plus 1 i am forgetting.

Same. If anything of that nature happens it will be IR, this way he can still practice in camps but then get "stashed" away.

But even that would be frustrating to use a key 3rd round pick on a player who you have to stash instead of getting him playing time and developing him would be very annoying and surprising. Now if he's still dealing with the knee injury that's another thing but pretty sure only way to get on the PUP is if you don't practice at all.

Hopefully he'll be healthy enough in camp because that time is critical for a young player. Once regular season starts it's more about game planning versus technique work so IMO he either makes the 53 or he's on the IR. No in between.

Brieda
Coleman
Au jus,
Kittle
Toloilo
Hurd
Deebo
Bourne,
Goodwin
Plus 1 i am forgetting.

Better than having one receiving option and 11 footballs!
^^^well...there is that...

The two i forgot were Pettis and Jet. Man, unless we keep the O on the field all game... i just have a hard time seeing how all these ball catchers are going to be kept happy..

It is now a pretty safe bet that JL nixes any more guys who catch the ball in FA or draft next yr
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 3, 2019 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Remember when people thought Dunbar was T.O 2.0 because he was 6'5 haha

ohhhh yes lol...one poster wouldn't stop with the nonsense. Kept telling me he was 6'5 and he is actually 6'3 per the combine. He must have been a relative or something.
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
I was thinking Goodwin might be a surprise cut early on. Listening to Kyle talk then hearing quotes from Marquise it feels like there is a bit of a disconnect. However I'm starting to think Bourne will be getting the boot along with possibly James unless both show a huge jump in their game.

Of all our receivers on the roster, who demands an immediate double team/safety help? Goodwin would have to go Charles Haley in the locker room to get cut IMO.

Brieda
Coleman
Au jus,
Kittle
Toloilo
Hurd
Deebo
Bourne,
Goodwin
Plus 1 i am forgetting.

I think all this means don't expect anyone cracking 1000 yards or if it does happen, only one person is likely to do it. I can see multiple receivers this year having big games showing that they can be the guy, but no one will get enough opportunities where their numbers will look like it. It's not a bad problem to have. Probably in the 49ers best interests cap wise if Kittle is the only guy to get over 1000 lol.

• 91til
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for 91til.

Brieda
Coleman
Au jus,
Kittle
Toloilo
Hurd
Deebo
Bourne,
Goodwin
Plus 1 i am forgetting.

my dude naming our FB, 3rd TE and 6th WR before Pettis
Originally posted by 91til:

Brieda
Coleman
Au jus,
Kittle
Toloilo
Hurd
Deebo
Bourne,
Goodwin
Plus 1 i am forgetting.

Viva El Gato!
Originally posted by 91til:

Brieda
Coleman
Au jus,
Kittle
Toloilo
Hurd
Deebo
Bourne,
Goodwin
Plus 1 i am forgetting.

Not only forgot Pettis but also Jet....good grief...next yr FA and draft looking good for OG/C and DB, rds 1,2,3,4.

And no Coach...no more receivers. So far we got 12...and they all are not making the squad.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
ohhhh yes lol...one poster wouldn't stop with the nonsense. Kept telling me he was 6'5 and he is actually 6'3 per the combine. He must have been a relative or something.

6-3 but actually 6-1* lol

Dude claimed Dunbar would be a starter and make game-winning plays lol.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 3, 2019 at 2:17 PM ]
Im greedy when it comes to QB, RB, and WR. The more the better. Really don't want any of them go. Going to be tough to part with a couple of those WR after TC.
Share 49ersWebzone