LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
The Niners can opt to let him go to the Olympics. It doesn't really matter what the contract says. He would just miss OTAs and some portion of training camp. The Bills let him go there with no problem. I'm sure if Goodwin begs enough, they'd let him go there, but I can't imagine Kyle being happy about it

And I disagree that just because they didn't draft his replacement, it means hes a roster lock. There's always alternatives. Like going after John Ross for example. If you REALLY wanted that burner badly. I wouldn't waste draft picks on it personally, since I don't think having a burner is that critical for this offense though.

The point is he can't just go do it, SF would have to let him. If you watch his ista stories he's getting ready for ball.

We have no real idea about Ross even being available...this draft was chalk full of elite speed and we opted to go in another direction. Kid isn't getting cut this yr.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Nah I think Trent Taylor makes it over Bourne.

I would sure hope so. Bourne doesn't really offer anything that's out of the ordinary imo. Trent's short area quickness is definitely something to build on. He was a 3rd down machine those last 6 games of Jimmy's debut.
Originally posted by Rascal:
You have to look at the available data in hand. To totally discard it and call it "asinine" is just disingenuous.

well we should have drafted andy Isabella at 36 then, if we're going off of stats.

That would have really got you going haha.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 29, 2019 at 6:00 AM ]
Originally posted by illinois9er:

I would sure hope so. Bourne doesn't really offer anything that's out of the ordinary imo. Trent's short area quickness is definitely something to build on. He was a 3rd down machine those last 6 games of Jimmy's debut.
agreed
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the size thing must matter to kyle lynch now because we has went out and gotten two big guys. and unlike the secondary, kyle must think the current wide outs can be beaten out easily. we did not draft those two guys for depth . i am totally fine with taylor and bourne gone. goodwin better not think he can just set around and get ready to go to the olympics assuming he has a roster spot.if hurd gets cut. then kyle lynch deserves to get ripped. going into their third year.. the "well we can not hit on every pick" is getting pretty old
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

agreed
how about if we judge taylor on what he does now and not what he did in the long forgotten six games of jimmys first season. how long are you guys going to cling to that stuff. here lets keep goodwin cuz he was amazing for six games two years ago. here lets keep taylor cuz he was amazing for six games two years ago. here lets keep winborn cuz he had 16 tackles vs the giants on monday night football.. i think taylor was a one year wonder and the nfl figured him and the rest of our little guys out. thus the reason why kyle woke up. listened to many of us and got a couple of bigger guys to help out
Originally posted by cciowa:
how about if we judge taylor on what he does now and not what he did in the long forgotten six games of jimmys first season. how long are you guys going to cling to that stuff. here lets keep goodwin cuz he was amazing for six games two years ago. here lets keep taylor cuz he was amazing for six games two years ago. here lets keep winborn cuz he had 16 tackles vs the giants on monday night football.. i think taylor was a one year wonder and the nfl figured him and the rest of our little guys out. thus the reason why kyle woke up. listened to many of us and got a couple of bigger guys to help out

Sure he's actually got NFL playing time and showed what he can do....we're talking about UDFA WRs that weren't good enough to get drafted.

Also if we're gonna say that how much longer does Jordan Matthews get? What the s**t has he done in a couple yrs?

Sure he's actually got NFL playing time and showed what he can do....we're talking about UDFA WRs that weren't good enough to get drafted.

Also if we're gonna say that how much longer does Jordan Matthews get? What the s**t has he done in a couple yrs?
Imo he's playing chess-he can have a big package, speed package, mix it up etc. let's hope this pans out and everyone stays healthy
You have to look at the available data in hand. To totally discard it and call it "asinine" is just disingenuous.

Just an example of why it's silly. Goodwin's 17 ypc in 2017 was good for 3rd. Poindexter's 18 ypc was good for 26th. Nevermind the level of competition.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I'm not saying he doesn't like big WRs....I'm saying you're not really looking at what he values, you're looking at what YOU value. Listen mate, you need to realize this league isn't the same league in the 90s. Speed, separation, and spreading the field thing now. Guys like Brandon Cooks, Hilton, AB, OBJ, Hill are who the NFL covets. Also, I care about who my teams has at DB when talking about other teams WRs. They have size across the board for that. FYI your boy DK dropped for a reason.....

Matthews is on a vet min deal. He's a pure big slot WR and we just got two guys that can play his position. He's gone more than likely.

Hurd ISN'T just a WR and if you listen to Kyle explain the pick you'll get it. Bringing in Poindexter or who ever the hell he is, doesn't change the mentality of what Kyle values. He also brought in Dunbar last yr who's a big WR that made it to the PS. That's who Poindexter will be battling this yr. If he makes the team cool, he's not gonna replace a slot WR BECAUSE he's not a slot WR. He will be replacing a guy like Bourne (if that even happens).

I keep giving you crap about loving big WRs BECAUSE that's all you talk about. You could careless if they can run a damn route lol and I keep telling you THAT IS what Kyle values. You're beating your head against a wall.

Great they did a lot of homework in a deep WR class...what the f**k does that have to do with who they keep? They drafted two guys, who they will keep. Poindexter will be trying to get snaps from Bourne, Matthews, and our PS WRs throughout TC. Different WRs have different roles. ya gotta understand that.

90s? Was Megatron from the 90s? Is Julio Jones from the 90s? Is Mike Evans from the 90s?

So, bigger WRs can't run routes?

So, they did a lot of homework and "what the fxxk does that have to do with who they keep"? Well, unless you are blind and deaf, we had 2 small WRs who couldn't handle the hits, 1 guy couldn't top 400 yards and the other barely got over 200 yards, that's fxxking why!!!

How do they define "insanity" again? "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". We have tried the small guys (and failed), is time to try something different. And I do believe that is exactly what Lynch and Shanahan are trying to do.

the size thing must matter to kyle lynch now because we has went out and gotten two big guys. and unlike the secondary, kyle must think the current wide outs can be beaten out easily. we did not draft those two guys for depth . i am totally fine with taylor and bourne gone. goodwin better not think he can just set around and get ready to go to the olympics assuming he has a roster spot.if hurd gets cut. then kyle lynch deserves to get ripped. going into their third year.. the "well we can not hit on every pick" is getting pretty old

Hurd will not be cut. I'm confident in that. They pretty much never cut rookies. Even with Joe Williams, they just made up some fake injury and stashed him on IR
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

matthews gets a fair shot like everyone else... i am just saying. i am glad they got two wide outs. sure i had hopes we would have gotten a secondary or offensive lineman guy in the third.. but i have always said.. we have the most over rated by our own fan base. underwhelming wide out corps in the nfl and i am fine with blowing it up.. it would not shock me at all if mathews and the two kids easily beat out people like bourne, , taylor. even goodwin. . with the moves they have made to get three new wide outs. it is obvious the coaches feel. our current group of wide outs can be beaten out
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Hurd will not be cut. I'm confident in that. They pretty much never cut rookies. Even with Joe Williams, they just made up some fake injury and stashed him on IR
i agree, i think hurd is a good player. would rather have had butler. lol.. just saying. by getting another wide out in the third. a punter in the fourth and basically drafting for depth when we had starting spots in need on the offensive line and secondary.. the third year. the third draft has the feet of kyle lynch to the fire in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
90s? Was Megatron from the 90s? Is Julio Jones from the 90s? Is Mike Evans from the 90s?

So, bigger WRs can't run routes?

So, they did a lot of homework and "what the fxxk does that have to do with who they keep"? Well, unless you are blind and deaf, we had 2 small WRs who couldn't handle the hits, 1 guy couldn't top 400 yards and the other barely got over 200 yards, that's fxxking why!!!

How do they define "insanity" again? "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". We have tried the small guys (and failed), is time to try something different. And I do believe that is exactly what Lynch and Shanahan are trying to do.
totally agree about the little guys.. people like you and me have been lectured,, well size is over rated. big guys do not fit the system here.. well they must have had a change of heart thank god,. the nfl figured out. hey. if we jam those little guys. they can not get open and we stop the niner offense. no matter the qb.. now in regards to your defining insanity.... keeping the same guys in the secondary and on the o line and hoping things are better. that reeks of insanity but thats a whole other story for a whole other thread

agreed

I'm totally fine with judging him on how he does this year. It's convenient to say that the league figured him out when he was coming off of freaking back surgery lol. Have teams "figured out" guys like Amendola and Edelman? You don't "figure out" elite short area quickness and foot speed.
Share 49ersWebzone