LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Unique new way to build a SB dynasty.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I seem to remember his father having one of the best offensive lines I've ever seen. Look, you just don't rewrite the way the game is played overnight. Putting all this pressure in Jimmy G to always be on is A game when he hasn't even proven he can do it for a whole season isn't something they are doing on purpose. They just honestly think what they have is good enough just like their analysis of our suspect defensive backfield. If the o-line stinks this year, we will definitely be putting more resources into it, hopefully we just don't get the qb killed in the meantime.

Agree, and also keep in mind, what ended Steve Young's career wasn't a missed block by the OLineman. Jimmy got hurt *outside* of the pocket, not inside it. I don't recall clearly, but I think I remember Jimmy could have just headed out of bounds and instead cut it inside to get more yardage. That wasn't on the OLine, that was Jimmy taking a risk and losing the bet.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Seeing posts like this crack me up. I've been one of what seeems like a few that defended him in the SB f li r not running the ball. Because he did call plays that had players open but the players didn't execute. Which left Shanny taking the blame. But a lot of posters in here as well.

Been seeing a whole lot of Shanny scheming posts lately. Players still need to execute REGARDLESS of what he draws up.

It sure feels like some are setting very very high expectations for a team that had the #2 pick
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I seem to remember his father having one of the best offensive lines I've ever seen. Look, you just don't rewrite the way the game is played overnight. Putting all this pressure in Jimmy G to always be on is A game when he hasn't even proven he can do it for a whole season isn't something they are doing on purpose. They just honestly think what they have is good enough just like their analysis of our suspect defensive backfield. If the o-line stinks this year, we will definitely be putting more resources into it, hopefully we just don't get the qb killed in the meantime.

Agree, and also keep in mind, what ended Steve Young's career wasn't a missed block by the OLineman. Jimmy got hurt *outside* of the pocket, not inside it. I don't recall clearly, but I think I remember Jimmy could have just headed out of bounds and instead cut it inside to get more yardage. That wasn't on the OLine, that was Jimmy taking a risk and losing the bet.
I'm sure you know this. Maybe not everybody does.

Walsh made his career F-up by bringing in the dirtbag Lawrence Phillips (serial woman beater, later convicted of selling hard drugs and killed himself in prison) for a look-see. Phillips whiffed on a blindside blitz pickup and that was the end of Young's career.
Originally posted by KamLeon:
How do you catch a unique rabbit?

??????
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Seeing posts like this crack me up. I've been one of what seeems like a few that defended him in the SB f li r not running the ball. Because he did call plays that had players open but the players didn't execute. Which left Shanny taking the blame. But a lot of posters in here as well.

Been seeing a whole lot of Shanny scheming posts lately. Players still need to execute REGARDLESS of what he draws up.

It sure feels like some are setting very very high expectations for a team that had the #2 pick

That's Kirazy!

I dont think the word expectation is the right word. I think it's more of a hope. 10 wins in the last two years should tamper down any expectations to another disappointing year. Having said that, picking Bosa gives a lot of the WBzoners lots of hope for this season.
We have one of the better qbs to execute this concept also. He reads defenses well and has a quick release. This also makes me question the Beathard pick even more.
Originally posted by jcs:
Doc, regarding the OLine, I think quickness and speed over strength. Again how much *power* do you need as an OLineman to block for a screen pass or draw play? You need quick quickness and agility. Same thing with the zone run. You need timing and coordination more than power and strength.

So you are looking for OLinemen that are different from all the power and gap blocking teams out there. You still need good athletes, dont get me wrong, but it's the timing, coordination and all five olinemen thinking the same thing every single snap. I.e. the intangibles more than the tangibles that matter with shanahan.

I think you can find good athletic quick but maybe under-powered OLinemen in the later rounds, or maybe undrafted. The key is finding linemen with the ability to subdue thier individuality and meld their mind with the rest of the oLine guys and act as one mind vs a power man on man blocker where its mano a mano. Keep in mind even the backups have to mind meld too!
The Key is having a great Oline coach that can mold talent...we haven't had one of those since McKittrick

This is perhaps the most underrated aspect of the Patriots' success the last few years. Damn Dante Scarnecchia is like the Bill Walsh of OL coaches.......I've rarely seen an OL coach held in such high regard. Brady getting killed in Denver in the 2015 Championship Game prompted Belichick coaxing him out of retirement.
The focus of the Patriots winning the Super Bowl against the Rams was isolating Aaron Donald and making him a non factor. Without that it's likely the Rams win the game.

For all of his all world talent, he has weaknesses in his game that could be exploited. I hope the film from the SB can be used by our offensive and defensive coaches to take down the Rams.

Another thing I'd like to see is maybe some 22 personnel.....2 RBs, 2 TEs........it's what sprung the Patriots for their only TD drive in that game, and was put together on the sideline right before the drive. It's exciting that the 49ers can run the most diverse personnel groupings in the NFL, hands down, not even close. It's annoying that the Patriots get all the credit for running 21 personnel like they're the only team using it....but this year people will see they're not alone and there's a better team at it.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
That's Kirazy!

I dont think the word expectation is the right word. I think it's more of a hope. 10 wins in the last two years should tamper down any expectations to another disappointing year. Having said that, picking Bosa gives a lot of the WBzoners lots of hope for this season.

And then there's that
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
I'm sure you know this. Maybe not everybody does.

Walsh made his career F-up by bringing in the dirtbag Lawrence Phillips (serial woman beater, later convicted of selling hard drugs and killed himself in prison) for a look-see. Phillips whiffed on a blindside blitz pickup and that was the end of Young's career.

That was one of the worst weeks in my life. The other was witnessing Eddie giving up control of the 49ers to his sister.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
We have one of the better qbs to execute this concept also. He reads defenses well and has a quick release. This also makes me question the Beathard pick even more.

BeatHard may still develop, but my gut says he's another colin Kaepernick that has a problem speed reading defenses.

Wilton Speight is an intriguing undrafted signee. He could be a bigger and stronger armed Mullens. I'm pulling for him to make the practice squad this year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by jcs:
Doc, regarding the OLine, I think quickness and speed over strength. Again how much *power* do you need as an OLineman to block for a screen pass or draw play? You need quick quickness and agility. Same thing with the zone run. You need timing and coordination more than power and strength.

So you are looking for OLinemen that are different from all the power and gap blocking teams out there. You still need good athletes, dont get me wrong, but it's the timing, coordination and all five olinemen thinking the same thing every single snap. I.e. the intangibles more than the tangibles that matter with shanahan.

I think you can find good athletic quick but maybe under-powered OLinemen in the later rounds, or maybe undrafted. The key is finding linemen with the ability to subdue thier individuality and meld their mind with the rest of the oLine guys and act as one mind vs a power man on man blocker where its mano a mano. Keep in mind even the backups have to mind meld too!
The Key is having a great Oline coach that can mold talent...we haven't had one of those since McKittrick

This is perhaps the most underrated aspect of the Patriots' success the last few years. Damn Dante Scarnecchia is like the Bill Walsh of OL coaches.......I've rarely seen an OL coach held in such high regard. Brady getting killed in Denver in the 2015 Championship Game prompted Belichick coaxing him out of retirement.

Agree with both points. Maybe Kyle can get Alex Gibbs to unretire and come work for Kyle.

But in all seriousness I am hoping Kyle is a good enough OC to coach up that OLine along with John Benton.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
step 1: draft a punter in the 4th round when you have much bigger needs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
That's Kirazy!

And then there's that

B O S A!!!
I wasn't quite sure what thread to post this article in, or how, but I thought it was well worth reading. link

There are a lot of debatable points in the article, but I found his concept to determine how a team is built and the quality of the players to be sound. I didn't agree with a lot of the values he placed on certain players, but the result can be changed with your own values. I prefer it to the 'Tiers' offered up by Oscar & David.

" I go beyond the futility of second-guessing individual decisions made by paid professionals at 4949 Centennial and try instead to read between the lines of those moves. My objective is to better understand the logic of Lynch-Shanahan in their efforts to rebuild this franchise."

"a championship-caliber team must have above-average starters (preferably with a sprinkling of elite talent at key positions like QB and EDGE) and "solid" backup"

"But how do we assess quality?"

Should CB1 be placed in Tier A along with QB & EDGE? Should the tiers be ranked different, from team to team. A 4-3 team values LB's less than a 3-4 team? One thing it does show is the difference between the starting team in 2017 and the 2019 team.
And no, it doesn't guarantee wins. It's a totally subjective concept to evaluate the team and examine why Shanny/Lynch sign certain players
Share 49ersWebzone