LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 373 users in the forums

Which unit will be our strength this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which unit will be our strength this season?

I honestly can't call it. We got our franchise QB and top tier TE, but then we got Defo and Bosa on defense.

I think it's a thin line, and I can't wait to find out!
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Apr 26, 2019 at 9:40 PM ]
I gotta say offense for now. I mean we have Kittle, a bunch of explosive RBs, GArroPolo and now we've stacked our wide receiving core with some physical players. The only thing that concerns me the interior line hopefully we can address that a little in the draft.

On defense we have a pretty crappy secondary other than aging Sherman.
I think our defense should be a lot better as our defensive line is better at least on paper. The LB's have been upgraded too. We should have a better front 7. The problem is the D Line is thin IMO and has several very injury prone players. So one or more of them could easily go down quicker than you think. In that case the offense may still be a bit better. Jimmy G back and Kittle. An excellent RT in his 2nd year. Some young WR's coming along and some new ones. Perhaps that unit will be better. I would suspect the offense is likely to be a bit better but the defense should make some strides toward improvement.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think our defense should be a lot better as our defensive line is better at least on paper. The LB's have been upgraded too. We should have a better front 7. The problem is the D Line is thin IMO and has several very injury prone players. So one or more of them could easily go down quicker than you think. In that case the offense may still be a bit better. Jimmy G back and Kittle. An excellent RT in his 2nd year. Some young WR's coming along and some new ones. Perhaps that unit will be better. I would suspect the offense is likely to be a bit better but the defense should make some strides toward improvement.

I agree.

There is some good talent on defense, but it remains to be seen how everything gels together. Worst case is they bring energy like a headless chicken. Best case is they can consistently put offenses on their heels.

The offense has some rhythm going. Hopefully, Jimmy G can slide right in and keep up the momentum.
Don't know, but I think defense should be pretty dam good this upcoming season.

Sherman two years removed from injury, new edge rushers.

Question is our new LB core and S positions?
I'm gonna give a slight edge to the offense provided everyone is healthy.I think Coleman is gonna help Jimmy G and the running game more than most people realize. I think if Pettis and Deebo starting with some Goodwin and Hurd sprinkled in is gonna free stuff up for Kittle too. I'm excited to see this offense.

I'm still concerned about LB depth and FS on defense. Got a feeling Ward is gonna get hurt again and I'm worried Colbert wont be able to perform well.
[ Edited by E-49er on Apr 26, 2019 at 11:40 PM ]
Both sides of the ball have added a ton of new talent, but one unit has Shanahan, the other has Saleh. That's the tie breaker.
  • thl408
With healthy Jimmy and Kyle. I think easily it's the offense.
special teams
  • jcs
  • Veteran
It better be DLine with the resources spent there both in F/A and draft capital.

It better be the offense taking back to back receivers!
  • All22
  • Veteran
This is a great question because John and Kyle have done a great job at super-stacking some positions with talent. You guys always want to trade our depth but I think that's short term thinking.

QB - JG, Mullens, CJ is a really nice QB rotation.
RB - Coleman, Jet, Breida, Hurd, Juice, is a rotation with every imaginable skill. I'd put our RB back field up against any in the league.
WR - Deebo, Pettis, Goodwin, Taylor - Lots of speed and separation.
DL - Ford, Buck, AA, Thomas, Bosa, Blair etc. Lots of depth inside, lots of edge rush, and 3 potential pro bowlers players

That's a lot of depth and talent that should make us impervious to injury in some key areas.
The poll results pretty much confirms my intuition. I'm liking how it's practically even. I feel like we're going to be a balanced team, instead of one unit just carrying our season. Something will tip the scale and establish our identity though. I don't think we know who we are yet, but this season is when we may finally find out.

Hopefully it's Jimmy G and the offense, but I feel like our defensive front if going to make a lot of noise this year in the same manner when Julius Peppers had his crew in Carolina.
Originally posted by All22:
This is a great question because John and Kyle have done a great job at super-stacking some positions with talent. You guys always want to trade our depth but I think that's short term thinking.

QB - JG, Mullens, CJ is a really nice QB rotation.
RB - Coleman, Jet, Breida, Hurd, Juice, is a rotation with every imaginable skill. I'd put our RB back field up against any in the league.
WR - Deebo, Pettis, Goodwin, Taylor - Lots of speed and separation.
DL - Ford, Buck, AA, Thomas, Bosa, Blair etc. Lots of depth inside, lots of edge rush, and 3 potential pro bowlers players

That's a lot of depth and talent that should make us impervious to injury in some key areas.

No such thing IMO. You lose your best player at a position you get worse. Even DL. If we lose Buckner that's a whole lot of production gone. Same for kwon, Ford/Bosa, and Sherm.

I really hope we stay healthy.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Both sides of the ball have added a ton of new talent, but one unit has Shanahan, the other has Saleh. That's the tie breaker.

Ultimately, I agree with this!
Share 49ersWebzone