There are 113 users in the forums

Nick Bosa-DE-Ohio State is a Niner(Politics-free)

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Obviously Bosa should have the better career because of Aldon screwing up his life.

I think what people are saying is Aldon had everything to be not just a great rusher, but possibly the best of all time. Bosa doesn't have that full skillset to be that elite but he has enough to be an All-pro imo.

I think Kerrigan is a good comp. Kerrigan has quietly had a very good career with numerous amounts of game changing plays. Maybe not the 15+ sack seasons but very consistent at getting the ball back to the offense with forcing turnovers.

Personally, I wouldn't want to limit Bosa to just all-pro. I think the difference between All pro Kerrigan and Hall of fame Charles Haley is mental, rather than physical. I think a big part of being a LEO is anticipating the play and being able to diagnose it and stop it. He's like the post up center in a heavy half court offense. The defense basically revolves around the LEO, in the Seifert/Carroll defense. A big part of Aldon's production comes from the interplay between Cowboy and Aldon, and how Buckner may have to sacrifice some sacks in his role to absorb double teams to free up Bosa. In other words, Haley knew when to change up the gap penetration between him and his DT to screw up the pass rush protections. When you can mentally do that, you really can give the OLine fits.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Guaranteed Bosa is gonna level the midget this year and I will be posting the GIF everywhere

That's some good parenting right there.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 18, 2019 at 4:04 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I'm hoping Nick Bosa is a *much* better Aldon Smith.
https://www.chargers.com/team/players-roster/joey-bosa/logs
[Joey Bosa] Registered 19 sacks in the first 20 games of his career, topping LB Aldon Smith (18.5) for the most in a player's first 20 games in NFL history.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Rookie Aldon Smith - 14 sacks,

Nick Bosa? - I'm betting he'll get close to Aldon's record - but he won't beat Aldon's rookie sack record.

I'm still of the opinion Aldon Smith was average at best. It was apparent he benefited immensely from cowboy getting double teamed (and holding o linemen regularly). And became painfully obvious when cowboy was playing injured. Aldon's production fell off a cliff. Did he even record 1 sack with the Raiders? That is what has me absolutely jubilant about this years D line. No matter who is not doubled, I'm confident of them beating their man. Hell, even ST and AA should see a spike in their numbers.
[ Edited by ronniefreakinlott42 on Jun 18, 2019 at 10:43 PM ]
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:

Nick Bosa? - I'm betting he'll get close to Aldon's record - but he won't beat Aldon's rookie sack record.

I'm still of the opinion Aldon Smith was average at best. It was apparent he benefited immensely from cowboy getting double teamed (and holding o linemen regularly). And became painfully obvious when cowboy was playing injured. Aldon's production fell off a cliff. Did he even record 1 sack with the Raiders? That is what has me absolutely jubilant about this years D line. No matter who is not doubled, I'm confident of them beating their man. Hell, even ST and AA should see a spike in their numbers.

He was hitting the drugs and alcohol heavily by the time he came to the Raiders. With the 49ers when he was starting out in the NFL he was actually pretty clean by Aldon standards anyway. He was on his downward spiral massively. So you have to include that in your evaluation. Sure he benefited from Justin Smith. But he was so far gone by the time he got to the Raiders you do have to remember that. He was just massively out of it and his downward spiral to rock bottom was well under way. With the 49ers at least by comparison to his later years with the Raiders he was actually pretty controlled. At least for the first few years anyway. My guess is when he came into the NFL he wanted to make an impression stay relatively clean at first at least by his standards. As life went on he spiraled downward and the addiction got stronger and stronger as often times happens to heavily addicted people.

So I'm just saying playing with Justin Smith or the lack of playing with him was not the only thing going on. Later on his life was in a death spiral. He was headed down. He was headed off a cliff. He would have had the same for us in the later years if he stayed a 49er. 1 sack or less. Aldon was just so far gone. People were just giving him a chance based on reputation and past history.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jun 18, 2019 at 11:09 PM ]

Ah yes... Heard this one a million times. It's incorrect. Aldon did benefit from Justin but he had plenty of sacks that he created himself. Aldon also had an injury at the same time Justin did, but played through it. People like yourself seem to forget that fact.

Aldon was also hurt that year. He had labrum surgery right after the Superbowl. Not sure why people choose to ignore this.

Anyone thinking Aldon's production was inflated by Justin Smith needs to get their eyes checked or something because that's one of the silliest misconceptions I see 49er fans perpetuate. It's flat out dumb.

Imagine thinking the guy sending DAVID BAHKTIARI flying onto his ass with a beautiful power-to-hump move was only good because of Justin Smith lol. I've got a whole folder of Aldon demolishing some of the best tackles in the NFL, one-on-one, often times from the complete opposite side of the DL as Justin.

Speaking of Aldon, he was a master of Nick Bosa's favorite move: the jab-double swipe

[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 18, 2019 at 11:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

Aldon was also hurt that year. He had labrum surgery right after the Superbowl. Not sure why people choose to ignore this.

Anyone thinking Aldon's production was inflated by Justin Smith needs to get their eyes checked or something because that's one of the silliest misconceptions I see 49ers' perpetuate. It's flat out dumb.

Imagine thinking the guy sending DAVID BAHKTIARI flying onto his ass with a beautiful power-to-hump move was only good because of Justin Smith lol. I've got a whole folder of Aldon demolishing some of the best tackles in the NFL, one-on-one, often times from the complete opposite side of the DL as Justin.

Speaking of Aldon, he was a master of Nick Bosa's favorite move: the jab-double swipe

Anyone thinking Aldon's production was inflated by Justin Smith needs to get their eyes checked or something because that's one of the silliest misconceptions I see 49er fans perpetuate. It's flat out dumb.

Aldon was a football stud, plain and simple....complete idiot and addict off the field. It's such a shame.

Bosa seems to have the skills, love of the game, and he's not gonna be getting 15 DWIs so that's a huge plus
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Aldon was a football stud, plain and simple....complete idiot and addict off the field. It's such a shame.

Bosa seems to have the skills, love of the game, and he's not gonna be getting 15 DWIs so that's a huge plus

Can't wait to see Bosa play in a real NFL game. I am not speculating on rookie stats between Bosa vs Alldrunk, but I fully do expect Bosa to make a huge impact. Between Bosa and Ford, we should see our nunbers at their positions go up, but just as importantly, and maybe more importantly, everyone else should look better. I am expecting a huge uptick in sacks, hits, and hurries. And I hope the midget gets absolutely flattened a few times both at Levi and in Seattle.

Even if he's just good that's a huge improvement. Heck anything above average is an improvement.

Ah yes... Heard this one a million times. It's incorrect. Aldon did benefit from Justin but he had plenty of sacks that he created himself. Aldon also had an injury at the same time Justin did, but played through it. People like yourself seem to forget that fact.

Of course this is all true. Group think runs rampant in sports fandom, but 49er fans regurgitate this nonstop and it pisses me off. It's a super-ignorant way to act like you know something abut football because you recognize one stunt. Basically, you know just enough to make yourself look stupid.

Aldon destroyed tackles when he had one-on-one match ups, and he humiliated RBs who tried to help out. Best combination of power, get off, length, plan, and lateral agility I've seen in a long time.

My favorite part of Aldon's game was his explosive acceleration to the QB once he cleared color. Once he won the rep, he closed on the QB like no other.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

My favorite part of Aldon's game was his explosive acceleration to the QB once he cleared color. Once he won the rep, he closed on the QB like no other.

Yep agreed. That's what set him apart from others imo. Then his length helped get hands on the QB sooner too, man I miss prime Aldon

Exactly. I chuckle at the cowboy made Aldon narrative. Smith was an incredibly special talent.
Share 49erswebzone