LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

DE Nick Bosa "Smaller Bear" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With Ford and Buckner I don't see him getting 14 sacks. That's a lot of competition to get to the qb 1st.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
With Ford and Buckner I don't see him getting 14 sacks. That's a lot of competition to get to the qb 1st.

Finally a good problem to have. Hopefully Oline O coord and qbs are wetting their pants

KC last yr...

Houston -9 sacks (in 12 games)
Ford- 13 sacks
Jones-15.5 sacks

Hopefully we score a s**t ton of points and teams will be forced to throw the ball
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I love Nick, but he's no Aldon.

Aldon had everything Nick has and more. Elite hands, elite length, wide arsenal of attacks and counters, etc. I don't think Nick will ever be as good as Aldon was in his prime, but that's not saying much. Aldon was a special player on the football field.

I expect Nick to have a Ryan Kerrigan-esque career. He'll never be the best in the league, but he'll show up and kick ass every year of his career.

Aldon played on a STACKED D and had a special player at T next to him. He was awesome year 1 and 2, but when he was selected the majority of the zone save a small handful were pissed, or had no clue who the eff he was because he wasn't expected to be taken anywhere near where we did take him. He wasn't the prospect Nick was, so why can't Nick be the better player year one if he was the better prospect coming in? I'll refrain from a prediction, but to say he can't play as well as Aldon rookie season is ridiculous.

Obviously Bosa should have the better career because of Aldon screwing up his life.

I think what people are saying is Aldon had everything to be not just a great rusher, but possibly the best of all time. Bosa doesn't have that full skillset to be that elite but he has enough to be an All-pro imo.

I think Kerrigan is a good comp. Kerrigan has quietly had a very good career with numerous amounts of game changing plays. Maybe not the 15+ sack seasons but very consistent at getting the ball back to the offense with forcing turnovers.
seasons Originally posted by Waterbear:

Aldon had everything Nick has and more. Elite hands, elite length, wide arsenal of attacks and counters, etc. I don't think Nick will ever be as good as Aldon was in his prime, but that's not saying much. Aldon was a special player on the football field.

I expect Nick to have a Ryan Kerrigan-esque career. He'll never be the best in the league, but he'll show up and kick ass every year of his career.

Aldon played on a STACKED D and had a special player at T next to him. He was awesome year 1 and 2, but when he was selected the majority of the zone save a small handful were pissed, or had no clue who the eff he was because he wasn't expected to be taken anywhere near where we did take him. He wasn't the prospect Nick was, so why can't Nick be the better player year one if he was the better prospect coming in? I'll refrain from a prediction, but to say he can't play as well as Aldon rookie season is ridiculous.

Obviously Bosa should have the better career because of Aldon screwing up his life.

I think what people are saying is Aldon had everything to be not just a great rusher, but possibly the best of all time. Bosa doesn't have that full skillset to be that elite but he has enough to be an All-pro imo.

I think Kerrigan is a good comp. Kerrigan has quietly had a very good career with numerous amounts of game changing plays. Maybe not the 15+ sack seasons but very consistent at getting the ball back to the offense with forcing turnovers.

I just looked up Kerrigan's stats: 3 INTS, all returned for TDs, 25 Forced Fumbles and 84.5 sacks in 8 seasons (the last two seasons just shy of his career best in sacks).

Hell yeah I'll take that from Bosa. I'll take that from anybody.
[ Edited by RTFirefly on Jun 18, 2019 at 1:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:

What's crazy is Kerrigan is getting better IMO. He's got back to back 13 sacks seasons, if Bosa get's to that level I'll be super excited
Originally posted by NYniner85:

What's crazy is Kerrigan is getting better IMO. He's got back to back 13 sacks seasons, if Bosa get's to that level I'll be super excited

Guaranteed Bosa is gonna level the midget this year and I will be posting the GIF everywhere
Guaranteed Bosa is gonna level the midget this year and I will be posting the GIF everywhere

• Giedi
  • Veteran

KC last yr...

Houston -9 sacks (in 12 games)
Ford- 13 sacks
Jones-15.5 sacks

Hopefully we score a s**t ton of points and teams will be forced to throw the ball

I think Kyle can definitely move the ball - there were 5 games over 400 yards last year. If Kyle can get that red zone game going, he'll be scoring a lot of points. Harbaugh, with that 2011 defense, only had 3 games over 400 yards in 2011 and got into the playoffs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Personally, I wouldn't want to limit Bosa to just all-pro. I think the difference between All pro Kerrigan and Hall of fame Charles Haley is mental, rather than physical. I think a big part of being a LEO is anticipating the play and being able to diagnose it and stop it. He's like the post up center in a heavy half court offense. The defense basically revolves around the LEO, in the Seifert/Carroll defense. A big part of Aldon's production comes from the interplay between Cowboy and Aldon, and how Buckner may have to sacrifice some sacks in his role to absorb double teams to free up Bosa. In other words, Haley knew when to change up the gap penetration between him and his DT to screw up the pass rush protections. When you can mentally do that, you really can give the OLine fits.

That's some good parenting right there.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 18, 2019 at 4:04 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I'm hoping Nick Bosa is a *much* better Aldon Smith.
https://www.chargers.com/team/players-roster/joey-bosa/logs
[Joey Bosa] Registered 19 sacks in the first 20 games of his career, topping LB Aldon Smith (18.5) for the most in a player's first 20 games in NFL history.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Rookie Aldon Smith - 14 sacks,

Nick Bosa? - I'm betting he'll get close to Aldon's record - but he won't beat Aldon's rookie sack record.

I'm still of the opinion Aldon Smith was average at best. It was apparent he benefited immensely from cowboy getting double teamed (and holding o linemen regularly). And became painfully obvious when cowboy was playing injured. Aldon's production fell off a cliff. Did he even record 1 sack with the Raiders? That is what has me absolutely jubilant about this years D line. No matter who is not doubled, I'm confident of them beating their man. Hell, even ST and AA should see a spike in their numbers.
[ Edited by ronniefreakinlott42 on Jun 18, 2019 at 10:43 PM ]
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:

Nick Bosa? - I'm betting he'll get close to Aldon's record - but he won't beat Aldon's rookie sack record.

I'm still of the opinion Aldon Smith was average at best. It was apparent he benefited immensely from cowboy getting double teamed (and holding o linemen regularly). And became painfully obvious when cowboy was playing injured. Aldon's production fell off a cliff. Did he even record 1 sack with the Raiders? That is what has me absolutely jubilant about this years D line. No matter who is not doubled, I'm confident of them beating their man. Hell, even ST and AA should see a spike in their numbers.

He was hitting the drugs and alcohol heavily by the time he came to the Raiders. With the 49ers when he was starting out in the NFL he was actually pretty clean by Aldon standards anyway. He was on his downward spiral massively. So you have to include that in your evaluation. Sure he benefited from Justin Smith. But he was so far gone by the time he got to the Raiders you do have to remember that. He was just massively out of it and his downward spiral to rock bottom was well under way. With the 49ers at least by comparison to his later years with the Raiders he was actually pretty controlled. At least for the first few years anyway. My guess is when he came into the NFL he wanted to make an impression stay relatively clean at first at least by his standards. As life went on he spiraled downward and the addiction got stronger and stronger as often times happens to heavily addicted people.

So I'm just saying playing with Justin Smith or the lack of playing with him was not the only thing going on. Later on his life was in a death spiral. He was headed down. He was headed off a cliff. He would have had the same for us in the later years if he stayed a 49er. 1 sack or less. Aldon was just so far gone. People were just giving him a chance based on reputation and past history.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jun 18, 2019 at 11:09 PM ]
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:

Ah yes... Heard this one a million times. It's incorrect. Aldon did benefit from Justin but he had plenty of sacks that he created himself. Aldon also had an injury at the same time Justin did, but played through it. People like yourself seem to forget that fact.
Share 49ersWebzone