There are 182 users in the forums

WHAT IF... we stay healthy this year and go 6 & 10 or worse..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Lynch would be gone if Jimmy fails since he pulled the trigger on that one. Then if we get a new a GM he will probably want to pick his coach, so I doubt Shanny stays.

why would he be gone because he pulled the trigger? It was just a 2nd round pick for a potential franchise QB. Anyone could have done that. Tbqh, if Jimmy didn't impress that much in that 5 game winning stretch, they could have just cut bait right there and went for Sam Darnold or something.

also, I think you can find a GM that is willing to work with Shanahan considering that there is this big trend in the NFL to "find the next McVay". GMs would love to work with a coach like that, since it makes them look good

I'd give Lynch another year if he gets Bosa. However, if he drafts QW and our edge presence and sack totals are still trash because Ford isn't enough, then yeah, its gonna get real dicey for Lynch. I'd definitely consider firing him if QW doesn't improve the defense as much as people think it does.

I think Lynch would be gone because he took the QB Shanny didnt want, we all knew who he wanted to run the offense. On top of that, we wasted 3 years bc he took the wrong QB.

I still think Jimmy will be good and was the right choice, but if im wrong this will hurt Lynch a lot.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lynch is gone then. If we only win 6 games and it isn't because of injuries, it'll be because of a lack of talent. Saleh would be toast and the search for a good experience successful GM should start...but knowing Jed it would just be an internal promotion.

What if we draft Bosa and a receiver and a safety and still go 6-10. How do you blame Lynch when he is drafting the guys we all say he should. I doubt that we will go 6-10 if healthy. At least 8-8. Better to expect 8-8 and be surprised if they do better than over predicting. We put a lot of the blame for last seasons record on injuries but the truth is we haven't been good for awhile. We still need players and hopefully some of the recent draft picks will develop this year.

Yep, very good point. Just because Shanny seems to talk a good game and looks the part, we are giving him a pass?

8-8 sounds about right, but nevertheless still disappointing. We have wasted 2 x 1st round picks in Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster who have both busted out. On top of that, the FO never did enough in free agency in 2017 and 2018. So, on the personnel front, Lynch will need to take most of the blame.

Having said that, Shanny also had his hand in picking the personnel. The first year was a complete train wreck. He was the one who wanted Brian Hoyer because he already knew his system. If it wasn't for Bill Belichick who called up to offer up Jimmy G on a silver platter, my God we would have gone 1-15. And I don't care what people say about how the roster was trash, he still worked with Lynch to bring in a bunch of people who amounted to nothing apart from Juice may be. But, either way there was no excuse for going 1-15 if the coaching was supposedly as good as people made it out to be. I won't kill him for going 4-12 last year because Jimmy G was out. But, let's just say he still has a lot to prove including his hand-picked DC whom I have zero confidence on.

Problem is Jed gave both of them 6-year contracts which he will have to adhere to if not for anything just to show and prove to people he is not about hiring and firing to ensure the 9ers can still make effective hiring post-Lynch & Shanny. I don't know what the answer is, while I understand is not ideal to fire anyone before those 6-year contracts are up, but if things are still going bad, I just don't see how we can wait until the end of the 6 years.

May be fire Lynch first and then give Shanny one more year under the new GM and if Shanny still can't turn around the team, let him go after year 4.
Considering our previous record 6-10 is an improvement.

We are in a tough division with a tough schedule. I'm hoping for 6-9 wins, but need to see the draft and pre season before I take a proper educated guess.

I think Kyle and John are safe but Saleh not so depending on how it shakes out.
We are only a 4 win team.

Lynch should be gone if, if, if...

Jimmy only won a few games...

If 6-10 saleh should be gone.

Wow...some interesting IFs.

Well, yeah we won 4 games last yr. Minus our FR Qb, who, incidentally only played 6 games the previous yr. JimmyG hasn't started yet. How on earth can he be categorized after 10 games in two yrs? Cripes let's give the guy a couple seasons....16 game seasons. We also won 4 games with 5 players on the OL , no backups, and the center was hurt all yr, , neither OG was a starter yet both started 16 games, we had two starters on D, we had a 2nd yr DC, who frankly is NOT experienced enough to have kept the job 2 yrs, and we had no pass defense. Saleh did stop the horrendous runs up the gut, Bob.

Lynch should be gone if ....well, let's see ...took over a team with 2 starters. TWO. One on O, old Joe at LT, and DeFo, our stalwart on D. Two starters out of 22... Think about that a moment. When a new team comes into the league...like the Houston Texans some yrs back. They get to pick players from other teams but each team can protect x number of guys. Those brand new franchises come into the league way better off than we were when lynch got here. He had TWO starters.

That is as bad as it gets. So lynch is just getting started, and deserves at least two seasons where he actually had a team to put on the field. Ok, we are now getting there and let's give him a couple , ok, 3 yrs with talent on hand to see what he can't do. As of right now we have DeFo, Solly who has been played out of position 2 yrs running. ERROR...DC and Zgonina under him.

Bad ERRORs. Now with Kocurek at DL and Woods at DB as coaches, we are finally at a place to start. Why on earth Saleh, a good man, but grossly inexperienced was not upgraded last yr IDK. Maybe they see greatness there. So far we have seen a guy who doesn't blitz and has been of Zero help to the DL and DBs. If there was a mistake by Lynch it was allowing this nice gentleman to continue into yr. 2, not to mention yr 3.

Yes, jimmyG only won 8 games or whatever, but he had NO OFFENSIVE LINE, and no D. NONE. Pretty hard under those conditions to win any thing under those circumstances. This yr hopefully he has a healthy richburg, and vast improvement of Laken and Person ...as backups. And let's hope for at least the #2 pick in our draft going to a starting OG. Then we need another starting OG, PLUS an OG and OT in the pipeline. Ie guys we get this yr who could start next yr.

If 6-10, everyone stays healthy (they won't ...law of averages)....then Saleh is gone. Ok. I hope with woods and kocurek that saleh wins games this yr. But if he isn't at 4-4 by mid season, and we still can't stop anybody, then i fully expect Kocurek or woods to be elevated to DC position. Don't wait for end of yr. Do it by midseason. If saleh can't get 4 Ws in 8 games, move over and let the pros from Dover run the D. Actually, i am in favor of doing this NOW.

All that said, we WILL have injuries, its the nature of the game. I just hope for vastly reduced injuries. And also some real talent in draft, both Edge and Safety. And while at it, pick up a Corner too, plus another LB. If we get new direction with the DC helpers, great. But if not, then i hope we dont' wait til end of yr. to elevate Kocurek or Woods. We will know enough by midseason if saleh can produce or not.

Finally , lynch. The guy finally has enough talent...i thot it would take a full 3 yrs, but going into season 3 i think he has enough talent to be rated. Let's wait til end of draft and until JL gets a shot at cuts , esp on teams like MN, KC, and others who have blown it on salary cap spending .JL is good there. So let's see. It's no secret that at end of last two yrs we had 1/3 of our team injured...either PUP, IR or whatever. We had the worst injuries in the league last yr and for 5 yrs running. That nightmare has to stop. Just hope it is this yr.

Either Bosa or Q, maybe Allen. Plus a starter OG, Plus S starter. Then a 2nd tier ER, another DB, and another OL. If he does that we come out great. Wait a few days first.

But 6-10? Unless JL takes a dive off the high board into an empty pool, no way we only win 6. My concern? Kyle insisting on a high pick for another WR. I say screw that. He has 10 targets already, and finally needs to let Lynch finish off the roster. No more draft picks for WR. Get those in FA, UDFA ,AAF, but do not waste our few picks on a position already overstocked with targets.

If kyle wants a #1 WR, get him NEXT yr. kyle has been indulged so far with WR picks. Not this yr. And it better not be with our 2nd pick. That is for holes at OG, OT, C, CB, S, and we got plenty of guys for JG to throw to. Finish off the D roster adn draft OL to protect JimmyG.

6-10 with minimal injuries is a joke. If we get hit with a slug more injuries...then...IDK WTF to do.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 20, 2019 at 9:53 AM ]
^^

Lol its a possibility, there have been better teams than us who had losing seasons. Not sure why people are getting so upset over this what if scenario.
Some heads are going to roll, but it won't be the ones at the top. I can't really see 6-10, with or without Jimny IF we draft well and are relatively healthy. More context is needed though. What kind of 6-10 team? Are we getting stomped? Are we losing all the close games? Do we beat good teams, but lose to bad ones? Or vice versa? Lot of factors to consider, but 6-10 would be extremely disappointing.
Lynch would be out. 50/50 on Kyle.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Most likely will happen.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
^^

Lol its a possibility, there have been better teams than us who had losing seasons. Not sure why people are getting so upset over this what if scenario.

Personally it's more likely in my opinion - what do we do if we go to the playoffs? I mean 10-6 will get you to the playoffs most of the time. I'm not saying we'll go to the playoffs (unless we draft Bosa ) but I think that's the better question. I think if we go 2-14 and everybody is healthy, clearly something is wrong and a regime change may be comming the next year. At least that's how I look at how Jed looks at things.
Not a realistic scenario, absent catastrophic injuries--a repeat of last season, which is unlikely. This team is deeper now on most squads, and will be deeper still by pre-season.

But, for the sake of discussion, if the worse case scenario occurs, then the orcs will be crying for entrails. They always do, because its easier and less risky to go negative. Their gods have let them down, and must pay a price.

I think York will let it ride through JL's and KS's contracts, rather than play the coach du jour game that has locked this team in dark misery for decades.

IMO, we have bright WCO schemer and a GM who works well with him. The coaching staff is much stronger than last season. Players are hungry for success. LA's been exposed, Seattle's old and self-emolating, and AZ is still a long way from being consistently competitive. Good times are ahead!

Originally posted by NCommand:
Shanny will be here full term because he's proven as an offensive genius and has proven here, he made magic with what he had to work with and the team never quit on him.

Lynch and Saleh have proven little to nothing thus far. They'll go long before Kyle.

The team never quit on Nolan early on too. There's a point though when they break off and that guy said what if we go 6-10 while healthy. At that point guys inside the team will be questioning him. You can be a very good coordinator but lousy coach, good coach but lousy at assembling personnel.

He won't get fired this year no matter what but if we fail his seat is hot year 4. You just don't get 5 years in the NFL.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Ladies and gentlemen...I give you...Wayne Newton
Originally posted by ninerjok:
What if all kinds of people on this website quit sending out bad vibes with all their pessimism and negative energy about every single thing.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
i have a feeling that both lynch and shanny stays but Saleh is gone.

Agree
We won't go 6-10 or worse if we stay healthy. Our floor is 8-8 and our ceiling is yet to be determined. Top to bottom this FO/Coaching regime is the best the 49ers organization has had for a quarter century and JY would be stupid to listen to their detractors.
Share 49ersWebzone