LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Biggest question I have regarding this regime's approach to acquisitions and free age

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
But the Niners don't need competition in the secondary, especially not from a guy like Verrett; they need proven reliable talent. Same for wideout. This team has no number one wideout; how does an underwhelming Jordan Matthews change any of that?

Of the guys available this year who exactly meets your requirement?
But the Niners don't need competition in the secondary, especially not from a guy like Verrett; they need proven reliable talent. Same for wideout. This team has no number one wideout; how does an underwhelming Jordan Matthews change any of that?

Ha! So you think there were proven, reliable CB's just out there and available?

Verrett was cheap, and has been a stud when healthy, I'd much rather a guy like that, besides Witherspoon and Moore have shown flashes of starting Corner ability, it's just about development and consistency.

The team has had offensive production, it now gets Jimmy back, and an extra year of development, a #1 WR would have been nice, but certainly not a necessity. The WR market has gone mental, very average players are getting paid big $ for little production, would rather develop our own guys.
"Biggest question I have regarding this regime's approach to acquisitions and free age"

???? Is this some kinda San Francisco throw back to the Hippy era? I'm down if it is.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
So would changing your handle.
Hmmm.... I have always planned to eventually change it to 6_Golden_Rings, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
We should build a temple with an altar at Levi's, and start searching for virgins to throw on it?
Good idea. There is an abundance of virgins here on the forums who will suffice.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
We should build a temple with an altar at Levi's, and start searching for virgins to throw on it?
Good idea. There is an abundance of virgins here on the forums who will suffice.

I thought yours was funny cuz on my friend's site I've posted for years very occasional remarks about football gods and sacrifices.
I thought yours was funny cuz on my friend's site I've posted for years very occasional remarks about football gods and sacrifices.

There should be a cult. We can fight to the death to determine who the high priest will be.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Verrett was cheap, and has been a stud when healthy, I'd much rather a guy like that, besides Witherspoon and Moore have shown flashes of starting Corner ability, it's just about development and consistency.

The team has had offensive production, it now gets Jimmy back, and an extra year of development, a #1 WR would have been nice, but certainly not a necessity. The WR market has gone mental, very average players are getting paid big $ for little production, would rather develop our own guys.

I understand what you're saying but rebuilds and "developing talent" aren't exact sciences. It fits the 49ers narrative to think of young guys as being sure fire bets to groom and blossom into productive players. That doesn't always happen though. Odds are Solomon Thomas is who he's shown to be. Same for Armstead and Ward. The book on Witherspoon will likely be definitive in year 3 and his year 2 regression doesn't have the arrow pointing upward.

The CB market was super thin, so I get that. And I can't discount the signings of Ford and Coleman, which I thought were great. But coverage was a mess last year and there were safeties to be had.

In terms of wide receiver I think if they packaged the #2 pick, a player, and a second rounder next year they could have swung a deal for the #6 pick and Beckham. Maybe they tried that and were denied but it sounds like they refused to deal the #2 pick.

Even if that was too rich for their blood, it woulda have been nice to see Tyrell Williams. He has top receiver potential.

I just think there are still too many holes heading into the draft. You're not going to get a top flight wideout, and unless they trade down, they won't be picking a corner or safety until the second rd.

I have the sense that the longer contracts and knowing Jed won't fire them as hastily as he did Tomsula, Kelly, and Baalke is eating away at the urgency to build a better roster quicker.

I understand what you're saying but rebuilds and "developing talent" aren't exact sciences. It fits the 49ers narrative to think of young guys as being sure fire bets to groom and blossom into productive players. That doesn't always happen though. Odds are Solomon Thomas is who he's shown to be. Same for Armstead and Ward. The book on Witherspoon will likely be definitive in year 3 and his year 2 regression doesn't have the arrow pointing upward.

The CB market was super thin, so I get that. And I can't discount the signings of Ford and Coleman, which I thought were great. But coverage was a mess last year and there were safeties to be had.

In terms of wide receiver I think if they packaged the #2 pick, a player, and a second rounder next year they could have swung a deal for the #6 pick and Beckham. Maybe they tried that and were denied but it sounds like they refused to deal the #2 pick.

Even if that was too rich for their blood, it woulda have been nice to see Tyrell Williams. He has top receiver potential.

I just think there are still too many holes heading into the draft. You're not going to get a top flight wideout, and unless they trade down, they won't be picking a corner or safety until the second rd.

I have the sense that the longer contracts and knowing Jed won't fire them as hastily as he did Tomsula, Kelly, and Baalke is eating away at the urgency to build a better roster quicker.

Tyrell Williams just does not fit what we do, he's fine in a Go/Post role, but we ask much more than that and he simply can't do it, it's also funny that people assume he's a redzons threat because he's tall, he's terrible in the redzone, in fact he was hardly on the field in RZ situations.

We can't know what the Giants wanted for OBJ or what we were willing to give up, so pointless speculating, it was obviously less than the Browns gave (which was quite a lot).

Also how can you put out this thread about injury hit players but want OBJ???????

People forget the Witherspoon changed sides and dealt with injuries, he started poorly, but if you look at it, hhe only really gave up one or two plays a game (they were just big ones) all mixed in with some questionable penalties. Certainly not giving up on him yet.

Solomon has one more year for me, DL is tough and he was a RS Sophomore, still growing and still learning and his sister's suicide has clearly effected him.

I agree on the safety issue, I'd have liked Earl or Ha ha, but we've got to remember there are 31 other teams out there.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

You beat me to it I was just going to say I probably know a few that would easily qualify

For the money we paid for Verrett, I can't complain. Kwon would hurt if he doesn't work out. Matthew's Coleman are pretty good signings. I'm a little worried about Ford and think we should still draft an edge rusher to back him up if he goes down week 6 or has chronic back problems. The key is that we need to maximize the value we get back on our number 2 pick. Then find at least one DB and the draft that's better than our scrubs. Also maybe still keep talking with dix work something out.
Verrett will be the VALUE steal of the 2019 Free Agent season. You saw it here first.
Originally posted by genus49:
Jerrick McKinnon had ZERO injury history, and then tore his ACL.

Sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

This.

This sport is physical. Some guys just get unlucky. You can't just take off everyone with injury history off your wish list.

Hell the big names that everyone was clamoring for have had some recent injury issues - Antonio Brown, OBJ, Earl Thomas.

You hope for the best and try to build up your roster so you have the depth to recover if someone can't play.

Don't forget we took a chance on Richard Sherman when most people thought he was over the hill after his achilles injury. He balled out despite a couple of games being missed.

Let's hope our new training/recovery hires win MVP next season.

Both of you completely missed the OP's original point.

That is a good point. One example is the Chiefs. They signed Breeland at CB. We know who Breland is and it's very underwhelming. KC desperately needs an upgrade at CB and they just signed a VERY meh player. At least Verrett has the chance to be great. We already have meh. We don't need more.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
the good free agents who don't get injured, ain't signing no "team friendly" deal. That's why we get stuck with these fragile players.
Share 49ersWebzone