LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Which RB do you trade

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which RB do you trade

I don't think any one will give up anything in the off season for RB unless it is for a top tier play...
Originally posted by English:
Where is the "none of them" option?

This. I choose the "none of them" option. With Wilson hopefully being on the PS this year (assuming nobody claims him), it's great that he was able to get in some game experience last year in this scheme. He could step in this year anytime as/where needed (injuries, etc.). He now knows more of what's expected of him...responsibilities, making adjustments to cut out the fumbling, etc.
  • thl408
I know it's been done before, trading away a free agent that just signed, but I don't think that goes over well for future free agents. "We want you here, sign with us." A week later, trade them to another team. So I think trading Coleman should not be an option.

Jet won't have any value imo. He has proven little and is coming off a bad injury. So trading him is pointless. Might get a 7th rounder, maybe.
Wilson is a dime a dozen guy. I don't think he has value either.

So the only player worth trading is Breida. Unless the return is a player that can help immediately (OG, WR, CB, FS), it's better to keep him as a safety blanket in case Jet isn't the player they thought they signed. I love Breida but I don't think he gets an early day 3 pick (4th rounder). Anything less isn't worth the risk imo.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
McKinnon.

He is probably not going to start the year healthy. My prediction is that the Niners will stash him away on the PUP list. Coleman will be the #1 RB, with Breida as the backup. Mostert as the ST guy.

Wilson is still on the practice squad

I don't disagree in theory. The only trouble is that McKinnon will have little trade value until he has proven he is back to full go.
Originally posted by thl408:
I know it's been done before, trading away a free agent that just signed, but I don't think that goes over well for future free agents. "We want you here, sign with us." A week later, trade them to another team. So I think trading Coleman should not be an option.

Jet won't have any value imo. He has proven little and is coming off a bad injury. So trading him is pointless. Might get a 7th rounder, maybe.

So the only player worth trading is Breida. Unless the return is a player that can help immediately (OG, WR, CB, FS), it's better to keep him as a safety blanket in case Jet isn't the player they thought they signed. I love Breida but I don't think he gets an early day 3 pick (4th rounder). Anything less isn't worth the risk imo.

Very nice post. I think they will all be on the team. If everyone is healthy, I imagine Coleman and McKinnon will get the most snaps. They have Coleman and Freeman type capability in that both offer extra ability as above average receivers and can be used similar to how Kyle used that duo in Atlanta.

In the meantime, signing Coleman also gives the team more capability to take their time with getting McKinnon back on the field, if they chose too.
Originally posted by dj43:
I don't disagree in theory. The only trouble is that McKinnon will have little trade value until he has proven he is back to full go.

Yep. McKinnon has no trade value and looking at his dead cap, he will not be a release option until next year imo.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Wilson has no trade value - the correct answer is McKinnon, but even he maybe has no trade value either.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 18, 2019 at 11:00 AM ]
  • thl408
The most recent productive RB that was traded, off the top of my head, is Jay Ajayi (MIA to PHI). He was traded for a 4th rounder, but he was coming off a monster season where he showed workhorse ability. That's the reason why I don't think Breida can fetch a 4th rounder or better. So Breida for a 5th rounder? Not worth it imo.
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:

Right on.

I didn't see your post until after I posted.

For a team that struggled to keep RBs healthy last season, this is an abundance of blessings. You don't trade any of them, unless, as you suggest, another team with an abundance in areas we need comes knocking...and that will not happen until after the trade.

I see Coleman/Breida as a great pairing early in the season as McKinnon is brought back slowly. No need to rush him until he is fully ready. The team has too much invested in him now to make a hasty decision that would depreciate his future value.

Mostert is that great combination of an ace ST guy who can also do an acceptable job at a regular position. Gotta keep him.

I believe Wilson is still PS-eligible so try to stash him there although I would not be surprised to see another team claim him. In the meantime, he isn't worth more than a 7th, if that.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
I think it is safe to assume that if you believe the report that teams called the 49ers after to Coleman signing to see about interest in moving a RB, that interest almost for sure was in Breida. It wouldn't be Coleman. It's not likely there would be calls in March about Wilson. Mostert did some nice things last year but certainly isn't proven and is primarily a ST contributor. McKinnon could draw interest but that's not going to come until teams see him playing again. No one is going to trade for him in the middle of his rehab. That leaves Breida, who would be attractive due to his production, age and contract. The 49ers won't move a RB until they know exactly what McKinnon's status is going to be and what he looks like on the field.

Keep em all and let the chips fall in training camp.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Keep em all and let the chips fall in training camp.

That's what's going to probably happen. I'd like to see if McKinnon can make it through TC.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Where is the "none of them" option?

But that wouldn't be in line with the speculation. No fun

A do nothing option should be included in evrry speculation. Keep 'em all.
I agree with this, but since it wasn't an option I would go with Jet. Easy deal to move, has name recognition, is more similar in play style to Coleman than Breida so he doesn't bring a change of pace to the table.
No team will trade any pick worthwhile for a RB coming off an ACL injury, so McKinnon is out.
We'd be foolish to trade Brieda with such little salary.
Coleman isn't going anywhere, he just got here.
Mostert is special teams ace. So no.
Wilson doesn't have trade value.
So how bout we just keep our nice stable of backs so we don't have to go calling Alfred Morris again. Thanks.
wilson and mossert
Share 49ersWebzone