LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

2019 Depth Chart Tracker/53-man Roster Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Current Roster Outlooks, 75 players signed, with Analysis of each position group.

QBs:
Locks: Jimmy Garoppolo(2022), Nick Mullens(2019)
Close Locks: C.J. Beathard(2020)
Fighting: N/A
Longshots: N/A

Analysis: Jimmy and Mullens are the obvious top 2 QBs, while Beathard would be the 3rd QB if the team keeps 3 QBs.

RBs:
Locks: Jerick McKinnon(2021), Tevin Coleman(2020), Matt Breida(2019), Raheem Mostert(2021), Kyle Juszyczk(2020)
Close Locks: N/A
Longshots: Jeff Wilson Jr.(2019), Matt Dayes(2019)

Analysis: McKinnon is a lock, as his $3.7M becomes GTD on April 1, and cutting him now or after April 1 would result in negative cap savings. Coleman, and Mostert's salaries are also GTD for 2019. Juszcyzk is obvious, he's the most dynamic FB in the NFL. This leaves Breida as a potential trade candidate, but my hunch is the 49ers will keep all 4 on the 53, and the 46 man active game day roster, if the Chargers or any other team can carry 2 Kickers on the 46, then the 49ers can carry all 4 backs, and Juszcyzk on the 46. Wilson, and Dayes are longshots, unless the 49ers do deal one of their backs.

WRs:
Locks: Dante Pettis(2021), Marquise Goodwin(2021)
Close Locks: Jordan Matthews(2019), Trent Taylor(2020)
Fighting: Kendrick Bourne(2019), Richie James Jr.(2021)
Longshots: Steven Dunbar Jr.(2019), Jordan Smallwood(2020), Max McCaffrey(2019)

Analysis: As of now Pettis and Goodwin are the only locks for the 53, with Goodwin's base salary of $2.95M becoming GTD on April 1. Matthews received a $300K signing bonus, but no other GTD money, and Taylor is the teams best slot WR, but Matthews can play both on the outside and in the slot, so Matthews and Taylor could be vying for the same spot in the starting lineup. Bourne, and James should end up fighting for 1 spot with the 49ers likely to draft a WR early on in the draft, look for someone like DK Metcalf, Marquise Brown, A.J. Brown, or Parris Campbell early on. Dunbar, Smallwood, and McCaffrey are definite longshots in my opinion.

TEs:
Locks: George Kittle(2020)
Close Locks: Garrett Celek(2019)
Fighting: Ross Dwelley(2019)
Longshots: Marcus Lucas(2020)

Analysis: Kittle is the only lock, and will be eligible for an extension after 2019, where he should be the highest paid TE. Celek's $2.7M salary is non GTD, but he has the best shot at being the #2 TE, as Kyle Shanahan loves him. Dwelley seems like the front runner for the 3rd TE spot. Lucas is a longshot.

OL:
Locks: Weston Richburg(2022), Laken Tomlinson(2021), Mike Person(2021), Joe Staley(2019), Mike McGlinchey(2021)
Close Locks: Erik Magnuson(2019), Joshua Garnett(2019), Shon Coleman(2019)
Longshots: Najee Toran(2020), Christian DiLauro(2020)

Analysis: Richburg's $5.5M salary is GTD on April 1, while Tomlinson's $2M base salary is GTD on April 1 as well, while Person's $1.45M base is fully GTD at signing, and McGlinchey's $570K base is also GTD at signing, while Staley's $8.05M salary is non GTD, but he is one of the best, and most underpaid Left Tackles in the NFL. Beyond the 5 locks, there is a lot of uncertainty. Magnuson can play just about every OL spot, while Garnett's spot is not GTD if the 49ers draft or sign a vet, and Coleman, whose salary for 2019, while non GTD, escalated to $2.005M, and is the leading candidate to be the swing Tackle. Toran, and DiLauro are longshots at the moment.

DEs:
Locks: Dee Ford(2023), Arik Armstead(2019)
Close Locks: Kentavius Street(2021)
Fighting: Ronald Blair III(2019), Jullian Taylor(2021)
Longshots: Ryan Delaire(2020)

Analysis: The 49ers finally found their LEO/EDGE rusher in Ford, by 1. trading a 2020 2nd-round pick, and 2. signed him to a 5yr, $85M deal, with $19.75M fully GTD, and Armstead should be the teams Big End, plus his $9.046M salary is GTD. Street is a close lock, as he was a 4th-round pick in 2018, he should be the backup Big End. Blair and Taylor should compete for a roster spot, while Delaire is a longshot at this moment.

DTs/NTs:
Locks: DeForest Buckner(2019), D.J. Jones(2020), Solomon Thomas(2020)
Close Locks: Sheldon Day(2019)
Longshots: Kapron Lewis-Moore(2020)

Analysis: DeFo is a stud, and is on the verge of being made the 2nd highest paid Interior Defensive Lineman, Jones will be the teams new Nose Tackle with the 49ers moving on from Earl Mitchell, and Thomas, the former 3rd-overall pick will finally be given the chance to shine. Day, who can play both DT, and NT, is the likely backup, unless the team drafts someone who they feel is a better suit. Lewis-Moore is a longshot at the moment.

LBs:
Locks: Fred Warner(2021), Kwon Alexander(2022), Mark Nzeocha(2021), David Mayo(2020), Elijah Lee(2019)
Fighting: Malcolm Smith(2019), Dekoda Watson(2019)
Longshots: Pita Taumoepenu(2019), James Onwualu(2019)

Analysis: Warner was a hit in the 2018 draft, and has taken over as the MIKE LB, while Alexander was added in free agency to play the WILL LB spot, and got $14.25M fully GTD, while Nzeocha has $750K of his base salary GTD, while Mayo's $850K base salary is GTD. Lee proved to be a great replacement at the WILL LB, and should be a lock even if he's only making $645K non GTD. Smith redid his deal earlier this offseason by lowering his base salary to $1.25M, while also eliminating his workout bonus, lowering his per game roster bonus to $100K, and as of March 17th his 2020 and 2021 seasons have voided, thus making him a UFA after 2019. Watson's option was picked up, but his spot is nowhere near GTD, as he has no GTD money left. Taumoepenu, while having potential, is likely a longshot, as is Onwualu.

DBs:
Locks: Richard Sherman(2020), Ahkello Witherspoon(2020), Tarvarius Moore(2021), D.J. Reed Jr.(2021), Jimmie Ward(2019), Jaquiski Tartt(2020)
Close Locks: K'Waun Williams(2020), Jason Verrett(2019), Adrian Colbert(2020), Marcell Harris(2021)
Fighting: Greg Mabin(2019), Antone Exum Jr.(2019)
Longshots: Emmanuel Moseley(2019), Tarvarus McFadden(2020), Terrell Williams Jr.(2020), Godwin Igwebuike(2019), Tyree Robinson(2019)

Analysis: Sherman was a great signing last offseason, signing a super team friendly deal. Witherspoon should fight for the other CB spot opposite Sherman, along with 2018 3rd-round pick Moore, and new signee Jason Verrett, who got $600K of his base salary GTD, but due to injury issues, he isn't a lock, yet. Ward's salary is GTD for 2019, while Tartt's $3M base is GTD on April 1, making them locks. Williams, while his option was picked up, and he is the teams slot CB, could be fighting for his starting spot with Reed, and Verrett. Colbert, and Harris are close locks, but if the 49ers add a safety in the draft, one of them could be on the bubble. Mabin and Exum, who were retained on cheap 1yr deals, will fight for roster spots. Moseley, McFadden, Williams, Igwebuike, and Robinson are longshots right now.

STs:
Locks: Robbie Gould(2019), Colin Holba(2019)
Fighting: Justin Vogel(2019)
Longshots: Jonathan Brown(2020)
Other(Suspended): Kyle Nelson(2022)

Analysis: Gould got franchised, and should the teams PK'er, while Holba should be the teams LS'er for the first 6 weeks, then they have to make a decision on Nelson, who they can cut without any dead money if they feel Holba is a better suit. Vogel seems the obvious candidate for Punter job, but they could sign a UDFA or draft one. Brown is nothing more than a camp leg at this moment.

Locks: 33
Close Locks: 13
Fighting: 10
Longshots: 18
Other: 1
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I have no doubt Verrett will be starting opposite of Sherman.

::::HOT TAKE::::

I like it!
WR: Marquise Goodwin / Dante Pettis / Trent Taylor / K. Bourne / Jordan Matthews / Richie James / Steven Dunbar / Max McCaffrey

This is disgusting.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
This is disgusting.

Guaranteed we get a good WR in the draft.
WR: Marquise Goodwin / Dante Pettis / Trent Taylor / K. Bourne / Jordan Matthews / Richie James / Steven Dunbar / Max McCaffrey

This is disgusting.

This is why I was so hell bent wanting OBJ, f**k the Giants
I have no doubt that you'll be wrong.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 27, 2019 at 9:03 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
This is all fine and dandy before the draft and 53 roster / kick off.

Our depth at secondary, oline, and TE is [ poo poo à la carte ]

Completely agree (assuming Verrett is healthy).
Originally posted by 60sFan:
This is disgusting.

Guaranteed we get a good WR in the draft.

We need our AJ Jenkins.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So I have questions about RB.

I just can't see how we're going to carry Jet, Brieda, Coleman and Raheem - unless we're only carrying 5 WRs this year. Then who do you dress each week?

We were down to a fumbling machine (Wilson) while Breida forced himself to play on a bad ankle to say the least...

The way we get injured, we're going to need all of them.

Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So I have questions about RB.

I just can't see how we're going to carry Jet, Brieda, Coleman and Raheem - unless we're only carrying 5 WRs this year. Then who do you dress each week?

We were down to a fumbling machine (Wilson) while Breida forced himself to play on a bad ankle to say the least...

The way we get injured, we're going to need all of them.

NinerGM how can we not carry 4 backs and JUICE? LAC and ATL have carried two Kickers on the 53 and 46 in the past, so it's possible.

This is disgusting.

Its not that bad. Pettis and richie james both showed a lot of potential. Goodwin is a good #2. Bourne flashed quite a bit 2 years ago. We actually have quite a bit of potential vs other teams who have a lot of middling receivers. Goodwin as a deep threat is above average and our slot seems decent. We also have kittle so our receiving corps isnt bad. Its rare for teams to have a bonafide tight end and a holy grail receiving threat like brown, obj, green, or julio.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I hope we find legit depth for the oline (more than anything else) in FA and mid round of draft.
I wonder what it would take to get AJ Green in trade? I wonder if we draft Bosa, that we might be able to package AA+a mid round pick for Green? Green is a FA at the end of the season, and the Bengals are rebuilding, so a player like AA+ a draft pick might make sense to them. For us, it would clear out our D-line log jam (assuming we draft Bosa) and give us a true #1 WR to pair with Pettis+Goodwin. Also we wouldn't be taking on much salary because AA is a 9+ million cap hit. AJ Green would only have a cap hit of just over 12 million for us, so only adding 3 million in payroll in this deal. How ever, if we got him, I would try to get him locked in for like 2 more years.
With this current roster, with draft looming fast, what are your expectation for next season?
Rams lost some guys and should have some Super Bowl loser handicap...
Seattle has overachieved last year and hadn't made huge upgrade on his roster yet...
And I would be shock if Arizona beat us twice next year...
So we may not be in the class New Orleans and be serious Super Bowl contender but I think the odds of winning the nfc west are pretty good don't you think?
Barring injury bug that could derail every team season what are our weakness on paper that will prevent us to be dominant?
Share 49ersWebzone