Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Jimmy G - Fell into our laps.
Matt Brieda - great pickup
Juice - overpaid, but good pickup
Goodwin - not sure how you can count this one
Samuel - too early to tell, but looks good
James - Wont find a bigger RJJ fan than me, but he hasnt done anything worth noting
Kittle - THE best draft pick by Lynch
McGlinchey - Very good pick
Juice - Juice again?
Bosa - no brainer pick, no credit should be given
Alexander - too early to tell, but looks like a great signing
Werner - Very good draft pick
Greenlaw - I guess.
Ford - looks like a star, but injury concerns
Sherman - paid off really well
To name a few of the decisions that have payed off.

see my comments in your post.

I dont think that all of them have paid off, nor do I think Lynch deserves credit for all of them. But its not nearly as bad as some want to believe. Just blowing 2 first round picks sucks, so people focus on that.

I just don't get the hate. He's a GM of a 3-0 team in which he pretty much overhauled the entire roster to fit his coaches system. What else do people want

Hes gm of a team that's won 13 out of a possible 35 games under his watch.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It's wonderful to have the benefit of hindsight. I wish some of the complainers were the GM. Then all our draft picks would be starting and the free agents would be pro bowlers. Maybe they should apply for the job instead of sitting on their butt and eating pizza.

This wasn't even a bad move in hindsight. It was a 1-year prove-it deal for a former Pro Bowl CB coming off a series of injuries. This was the "low risk" of the deal, and while everyone would have loved to have the "high reward" half of that phrase, this outcome wasn't exactly hard to see happening. It's not like the team put all their resources into Verrett alone. Far from it.
Drafting and picking up free agents is not an exact science. You're drafting and picking up human beings and there's so many unknown into it especially the unknown future i.e. mind/decision changing, physical/injuries, offfield incidents/family issues, etc. Look around, approximately 60 percent of NFL teams are dealing with if not as bad probably worse than what the Niners are dealing with right now. Numerous players from different teams are asking to be traded. At least one team for sure is tanking their season. This year compared to previous years, Niners have less injury issues than their counterparts. And like everyone who are truly faithful says, we are 3-0. So relax, enjoy the games, and keep being faithful.
I wish we'd stop taking so many fliyers on injured players though. Not when we are so thin at the position. Going to be a tough week with these WR's we are about to face.
Originally posted by captveg:
It's wonderful to have the benefit of hindsight. I wish some of the complainers were the GM. Then all our draft picks would be starting and the free agents would be pro bowlers. Maybe they should apply for the job instead of sitting on their butt and eating pizza.

This wasn't even a bad move in hindsight. It was a 1-year prove-it deal for a former Pro Bowl CB coming off a series of injuries. This was the "low risk" of the deal, and while everyone would have loved to have the "high reward" half of that phrase, this outcome wasn't exactly hard to see happening. It's not like the team put all their resources into Verrett alone. Far from it.

No issues with taking a chance but he was never on the field long enough to genuinely earn a spot, let alone the #2 CB spot. I have no issues with moneyball acquisitions like this (low risk, high reward) but just don't rely on them and make sure they actually earn their way up the depth chart because as we're seeing, we're half a step away from J.Ward and D.Johnson starting and E.Moseley and J.Skule already are and we've only played 3 games so far.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 3, 2019 at 2:38 PM ]
So, his angry media post wasn't because he's not starting vs. CLE, but because he's upset at himself that he's not fully recovered and put on IR yet again.

Is that correct?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Sorry, that's not the way the league works, you are either one of the 46 best players on gameday or you aren't.

Emmanuel Moseley is clearly better at the moment, and I'm glad they realised in time not to cost us the game. It wouldn't surprise me if Verrett ended up on IR. Sherm needed a year removed from Achilles surgery and it looks like Verrett does as well.

Why would he go on IR? I mean he was healthy enough to play, he got beat.

he just hasn't played real meaningful football in like 2 yrs. he's gotta get some confidence back and get some reps.

They got an extra week to figure stuff out so that's good.

Going to take my win here, I do hope that we give him another 1 year prove it deal, and that he takes it.

Some injuries linger longer than others and unfortunately he couldn't get it done on his Achilles. 1 year removed may be the ticket.

Can't believe anyone is blaming Lynch, this was always a classic low risk high reward type deal, we've lost nothing by taking a shot at Verrett outside of those two plays, the alternative is a Pro bowl level CB, why not?
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
I wish we'd stop taking so many fliyers on injured players though. Not when we are so thin at the position. Going to be a tough week with these WR's we are about to face.

The problem is that so many players have previous injuries in their history that you almost have to take the risk some times. I know this has been mentioned many times but look at Frank Gore. He was a risk after 2 serious knee injuries. I understand that he was an exception but a lot of quality players wouldn't be in the league now if some team didn't take a risk.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by captveg:

No issues with taking a chance but he was never on the field long enough to genuinely earn a spot, let alone the #2 CB spot. I have no issues with moneyball acquisitions like this (low risk, high reward) but just don't rely on them and make sure they actually earn their way up the depth chart because as we're seeing, we're half a step away from J.Ward and D.Johnson starting and E.Moseley and J.Skule already are and we've only played 3 games so far.

They weren't relying on Verrett, though. They were relying on Sherman and Witherspoon, and that looked to be a correct evaluation, even with Witherspoon's injury. No team has Pro Bowlers on the bench ready to step in when their starters go down. They just don't. Health in the league is a total crap shoot. Staley, for example, has had multiple seasons without missing games due to injury. He's as reliable as they come. Yet, here he is, injured. This cannot be controlled. Do you think the Patriots wanted to play with some of their OL starters out for the season? And we all know if Brady goes down they're done. Every team is in this position, and they look to ride it out to the best of their ability.
Originally posted by jcs:
James - Wont find a bigger RJJ fan than me, but he hasnt done anything worth noting
Juice - Juice again?
Greenlaw - I guess.

I dont think that all of them have paid off, nor do I think Lynch deserves credit for all of them. But its not nearly as bad as some want to believe. Just blowing 2 first round picks sucks, so people focus on that.

I just don't get the hate. He's a GM of a 3-0 team in which he pretty much overhauled the entire roster to fit his coaches system. What else do people want

Hes gm of a team that's won 13 out of a possible 35 games under his watch.

He overhauled the entire roster.... kinda takes time

• cciowa
  • Veteran
I love it when people say Lynch is an idiot or Lynch is not smart. The guy was smart enough to get into Stanford and smart enough to play at a high level in the NFL for a long time. Some of his choices haven't worked but several have. I'd say he's smarter than 99% of the people on this forum when it comes to football.

stanford and his nfl career mean nothing when you match that up with him resigning johnson and keeping ward. at least he brought back mathews who was not as terrible as many people make him out to be. i get it,, he is not the web zones beloved trent taylor... who i bet will never see the light of day this year.
Where's my Dontae Johnson thread????

I said that we should bring him back....and here we are.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
You can look at any team in the league and you will see similar results. Dee Ford has been a contributor in spite of the knee. McKinnon was ore Kyle than Lynch. Thomas is really the only one that has been a bust so far. Foster played well his first season and most people felt he was a steal at the end of the first round. I can't blame Lynch for not knowing that Foster and his girl friend had a toxic relationship that would lead to his release.

huge red flags all over foster should have given lynch pause . guys you rightfully give lynch credit for getting jimmy and bosa and ford and sherman... then you hold him accountable for foster thomas. over paying for the alleged jet keeping ward. resigning johnson. you can not have it both ways
Originally posted by cciowa:
stanford and his nfl career mean nothing when you match that up with him resigning johnson and keeping ward. at least he brought back mathews who was not as terrible as many people make him out to be. i get it,, he is not the web zones beloved trent taylor... who i bet will never see the light of day this year.

My point is that I don't like it when people call the coach or GM and idiot. It's fine to disagree with decisions but that doesn't mean these guys are stupid. This is their life and they live it 24 hours a day. Sure they make wrong decisions but so do the rest of us. You can disagree without the name calling.

Same goes for the players. Any guy that can make it to the NFL level is not a loser or some of the other names I hear people use. To get that far even if they don't make the final roster is an accomplishment none of us will ever know. You can disagree and dislike a player without the name calling. We get enough of that every day on the news.
Juice - Juice again?
Greenlaw - I guess.

To wait until more than just 3 games to proclaim as some all-knowing genius that he clearly isn't.
Share 49ersWebzone