LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

CB Jason Verrett IS BACK on IR!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I wonder if starting him in the slot might be a way to get him up to speed.

Spoon is apparently balling but a CB roster of Sherman and Witherspoon as outside CBs with Verrett in the slot is pretty damn tasty.

Balling out in shorts and shells. It's been said about plenty of players like Rashard Robinson and then the season starts and it's back to being the whipping boy.
This . Gotta see it to believe it.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Spoon is apparently balling but a CB roster of Sherman and Witherspoon as outside CBs with Verrett in the slot is pretty damn tasty.

Balling out in shorts and shells. It's been said about plenty of players like Rashard Robinson and then the season starts and it's back to being the whipping boy.

I see some are warming up to the idea of verrett in the slot.
Originally posted by swaccmac1:

Williams played pretty damn good in the slot last year and Reed should be the next in line for that spot. I'd much rather Verrett replace the weakest player on our defense (Spoon)
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

god,, is that ever the truth
Dude looks gimpy to me in his vid, it's going to be another year before he feels good again in that leg.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Dude looks gimpy to me in his vid, it's going to be another year before he feels good again in that leg.

Where/how do you see it?
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

Lol
Originally posted by cciowa:

god,, is that ever the truth

Williams played pretty damn good in the slot last year and Reed should be the next in line for that spot. I'd much rather Verrett replace the weakest player on our defense (Spoon)

This. Hope our coaching staff feels the same way

Mark my words, Verrett will not start over Spoon. He has a better shot of starting over Williams than over Spoon, and I doubt that. I know that's not a popular opinion on this thread, but it's the truth. Spoon is a guy this coaching staff drafted, and relatively high in the draft. He's gonna get every opportunity to start. Baring injury, or him just stinking up the joint in camp (which I seriously doubt), Spoon will be the starter opposite Sherm.

Now, I do think Verrett was a good signing. If he's remotely healthy (though we cannot say how long that'll last) he'll push the best out of Spoon, and Williams. But let's not get this twisted, a guy who's been as injury prone as him cannot be counted on to stay available. The guy didn't contemplate retirement for nothing. There's no way Shanny & Co, in realistically a "prove it" season, will be counting on a guy as a starter who, in 6 seasons in the NFL, hasn't proven he can stay healthy.

Now, he's perfect coming off the bench. But as a starter?

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Mark my words, Verrett will not start over Spoon. He has a better shot of starting over Williams than over Spoon, and I doubt that. I know that's not a popular opinion on this thread, but it's the truth. Spoon is a guy this coaching staff drafted, and relatively high in the draft. He's gonna get every opportunity to start. Baring injury, or him just stinking up the joint in camp (which I seriously doubt), Spoon will be the starter opposite Sherm.

Now, I do think Verrett was a good signing. If he's remotely healthy (though we cannot say how long that'll last) he'll push the best out of Spoon, and Williams. But let's not get this twisted, a guy who's been as injury prone as him cannot be counted on to stay available. The guy didn't contemplate retirement for nothing. There's no way Shanny & Co, in realistically a "prove it" season, will be counting on a guy as a starter who, in 6 seasons in the NFL, hasn't proven he can stay healthy.

You count on a guy like this like you do Ward and Garnett. You move forward as if they don't exist and if they somehow stay healthy and naturally climb the ranks and earn it, terrific.

TBH, the guy I'm most concerned about is Sherman. I have a feeling he's going to be tested early and often and that speed is gone and with poor S play, he'll be exposed.

I think Witherspoon could actually play better and the downside is teams start targeting Sherman more.

It's just a concern at this stage but...

You count on a guy like this like you do Ward and Garnett. You move forward as if they don't exist and if they somehow stay healthy and naturally climb the ranks and earn it, terrific.

TBH, the guy I'm most concerned about is Sherman. I have a feeling he's going to be tested early and often and that speed is gone and with poor S play, he'll be exposed.

I think Witherspoon could actually play better and the downside is teams start targeting Sherman more.

It's just a concern at this stage but...

Exactly this..
Dudes made it thru one season in what 5 years and we have people let alone the front office thinking he's gonna be a starter this year and dominate!
If the front office is thinking this, then it's a recipe for disaster... just like Ward, Garnett, etc

Don't get it twisted, I'd love for Verrett to come in and dominate, I just don't expect it.
Another workout clip from his Instagram story

https://instagram.com/feeva_22?igshid=ivqtxmdc7pxf
Let's wait till the bullets fly, then we will see. The season is long and lots of things will happen.

Spoon, you knew he would either make the jump or suffer from the sophomore jinx. Hope that the jinx was due to him having a good 1st year, then got full of himself and realized that he had to really work it this offseason after he had a chance to reset and catch his breathe.
Share 49ersWebzone