LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

CB Jason Verrett IS BACK on IR!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No way this guy will last. Sucks.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I like this guy. But he's not gonna be the opening day starter over Witherspoon opposite of Sherman. Sure, Witherspoon is still developing, and he still has a lot of skills he needs to develop. But keep this in mind: he was a 3rd round pick for a reason. If Shanny & Co. wanted top production out of that position they should have drafted or signed a top CB producer. Period!! Jason Verrett, while talented, is just too injury prone, and his smallish body won't hold up for this physical 4-3 LEO-style defense that demands CB's to tackle, and tackle often. Jason Verrett's frame isn't made for this style of defense, at least not on the outside.

Ahkello Witherspoon will be the opening day starter. If anything Tim Harris is a dark horse that has a real chance of starting outside opposite of Sherman, IMHO. At best Verrett will compete at the slot CB position, and even then I'm not too sure he'll beat out K'Waun Williams.

Which style of defense does not demand CBs to tackle?
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
can we stop with all the position changing Saleh?

This speculation is all from Sherman saying he would be interested in moving to safety as he gets older. Has nothing to do with Saleh.
Originally posted by thl408:

Right? I don't get this take
I like this guy. But he's not gonna be the opening day starter over Witherspoon opposite of Sherman. Sure, Witherspoon is still developing, and he still has a lot of skills he needs to develop. But keep this in mind: he was a 3rd round pick for a reason. If Shanny & Co. wanted top production out of that position they should have drafted or signed a top CB producer. Period!! Jason Verrett, while talented, is just too injury prone, and his smallish body won't hold up for this physical 4-3 LEO-style defense that demands CB's to tackle, and tackle often. Jason Verrett's frame isn't made for this style of defense, at least not on the outside.

Ahkello Witherspoon will be the opening day starter. If anything Tim Harris is a dark horse that has a real chance of starting outside opposite of Sherman, IMHO. At best Verrett will compete at the slot CB position, and even then I'm not too sure he'll beat out K'Waun Williams.

If anything, this defense doesn't give the corners edge protection assignments, or as Seifert called it, "force". On the strong side that responsibility is usually given to either the SAM or SS depending on the call. On the flex side, that's the LEO. If it's a swing pass or toss out wide, the Corner isn't necessarily asked to tackle, but set the edge and redirect the run back inside to help. If you have a good tackling corner, that's a bonus.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

If anything, this defense doesn't give the corners edge protection assignments, or as Seifert called it, "force". On the strong side that responsibility is usually given to either the SAM or SS depending on the call. On the flex side, that's the LEO. If it's a swing pass or toss out wide, the Corner isn't necessarily asked to tackle, but set the edge and redirect the run back inside to help. If you have a good tackling corner, that's a bonus.
Also, yes, Thl, I don't know of a system that doesn't ask players to tackle.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Depends. Are we talking about making a couple tackles per game of a 205 lb. WR or a half dozen tackles per game of a 245 lb. RB? Neon Deion was the best cornerback I ever saw, but when an OLineman or RB headed his way, he'd go run and hide.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

Depends. Are we talking about making a couple tackles per game of a 205 lb. WR or a half dozen tackles per game of a 245 lb. RB? Neon Deion was the best cornerback I ever saw, but when an OLineman or RB headed his way, he'd go run and hide.

read jonnydel's comment ^^

I'd be much more worried about spoon's tackling ability vs Verrett.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

read jonnydel's comment ^^

I'd be much more worried about spoon's tackling ability vs Verrett.

I'm worried much more about everything on the field with Spoon Vs Verrett.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I still have faith in spoon, but we got a poster saying Tim Harris Jr is a better cover CB than Verrett and I can't let that slide

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I still have faith in spoon, but we got a poster saying Tim Harris Jr is a better cover CB than Verrett and I can't let that slide

I have faith in spoon too. But I like the teams strategy. Reminds me of the 2017 Eagles. Bring in a bunch of corners and let them compete, male it more likely that you'll get better overall play. We need 2 of Sherman, Tarvarius, Spoon, Harris, and Verrett to play well.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

Wrong attitude Sir!

Stay positive. im glad we took a chance with this dude.
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

Wrong attitude Sir!

Stay positive. im glad we took a chance with this dude.

He sure we s**t doesn't suck, he just can't stay healthy.

Maybe the Dion Sanders style?
Share 49ersWebzone