LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Grade our offseason moves so far

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade our offseason moves so far

Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Need Eric berry to get an A

Berry is only 1 year older than Thomas. A 1 year prove it deal.
B. Love the Ford move, getting him for no draft picks this year is awesome. Hopefully that 2nd next year is nearly a 3rd rounder.

Other moves are reliant on guys being healthy but I like the signings. At worst it's solid depth. If we're lucky we got some starters for dirt cheap.
I graded us a B. But at this point it doesn't matter. What matters is where we are at the end of the season.
Full homer A+ing it
Berry has equinophobia -- a fear of horses. That did not serve him well in KC, given their mascot.

Our mascot is much less threatening

A
Can't expect better much that this.
Sure, we overpaid Kwon. And Tevin probably doesn't move the needle much. But we have cap room.
Getting Dee Ford is a coup. Total game-changer. He already is what we all hoped Bosa would be for us.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Homer A, here.
  • dj43
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Need Eric berry to get an A

Berry is only 1 year older than Thomas. A 1 year prove it deal.

His heel injury has puzzled doctors. First they were going to see if it would heel on its own. Then they decided to operate. Berry wanted another opinion so surgery was put on hold. He still doesn't know when or if he can play again.

Rumors are John Dorsey may bring him to Cleveland but it is only that...
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
A
Can't expect better much that this.
Sure, we overpaid Kwon. And Tevin probably doesn't move the needle much. But we have cap room.
Getting Dee Ford is a coup. Total game-changer. He already is what we all hoped Bosa would be for us.

I think Kwon is ok only 1year guaranteed and if he plays at a pro bowl level then the other years are worth it.
  • dj43
I give it an A.

First of all, if every football player with a previous injury was to be discarded, there wouldn't be enough players left in the league to field a 20 team league. Hence, I don't deduct anything for the fact some of these guys have had some injuries. It is football. Most times guys recover and play well until they are too old to play well anymore.

Solved our biggest need with the most productive ER this past season. Ford will be more effective as an ER here than he was in KC because he was dropping coverage more there than he will be here. Ford alone changes the entire dynamic of the draft. Lynch/Shanahan have a lot more options now than before. A+++ for this move. Price is not an issue.

Alexander, being on the other side of the country and in the other conference, is not as well known by SF fans, hence he is not appreciated as much now as he will be when he starts to play. He is a more dependable replacement for Reuben Foster. From the film I've seen and from what jonnydel has put up, he will help a ton in coverage. His signing also changes the draft dynamic from needing a LB early to looking for depth later (see Mayo).

Verrett is the real deal if healthy. So many have already checked in on him I don't think I have to say more. The man has All Pro ability if healthy.

Coleman is a home run. A surprise. He was a VERY good receiver out of the backfield in Atlanta. He is fast but he has deceptive power. I still can't believe we got this guy. He must really want to play for Kyle again.

Matthews is a nice upgrade from Garcon. He hasn't shown up on the radar the past couple of years due to playing with poor-to-mediocre QBs, but the guy is a solid player with red zone history. He will see a good number of snaps.

Mayo is a ST upgrade from Coyle as well as a better back-up. Quality depth improvement.

I am not excited about Ward but with the signing of Verrett it likely means Ward will be pushed back to safety and allowed to concentrate on one spot instead of shuttling around to CB and slot. That, along with a quality secondary coach, will give him a much better chance to realize his potential. I'm not going to deduct any value from this FA period so far because the FO decided they want to keep him around at least until TC/PS to see if he can earn a spot. If someone beats him out, then he gets cut with minimal cost to the team. If he stays healthy and becomes at least a quality back-up safety, then it is a good value.

So, yes, an A for these first two days. Everything they did is a move forward and, just as importantly, positions them for numerous options in the draft besides just the hope Bosa would be there at #2. A number of scenarios are now in play and that is just what you want going into the draft.

Seems like Ward is getting paid like a starting safety
If we get Bosa and CGJ in the draftthen it's an S. For now it's an A.
D. Only Coleman consistently healthy and proven player. But since wasted money on Jet, I downgrade to D-.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 14, 2019 at 10:07 PM ]
  • fip24
  • Veteran
A-
I think people are forgetting how good Kwon was pre injury- love this signing. Dee Ford coupled with Allen or Bosa could turn our biggest weakness into a strength. Love the Verrett and Matthews signings. The one head scratcher is Jimmy Ward at 5m, considering HaHa only got 3.5m and I'm not a huge fan of the Coleman signing, unless the plan is to play him and Jet at the same time(one in the slot).

Also, thrilled that we went nowhere near AB or OBJ- AB is a locker room killer and OBJ is the most overrated athlete in recent memory.
Bowman was unreal preinjury.
Share 49ersWebzone