LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Dee Ford, DE

Shop 49ers game tickets
All the guys that were talking s**t about McKinnon have moved on to this thread?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
It doesnt matter what happens to other pkayers on other teams. If a dude breaks his fingernail on the niners, fans freak the f**k out and assume the worst

Garnett and his finger thing does piss me off. lol
According to one dude Andy Reid rarely ever had Dee Ford practice so they could keep him on the field for every snap on gameday. If I were the coaching staff I would do the same thing. Dude has one job. Sack the QB. No more practice and I wouldn't play him but maybe one series during that 3rd preseason game. Something tells me he won't be playing until Tampa.
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
According to one dude Andy Reid rarely ever had Dee Ford practice so they could keep him on the field for every snap on gameday. If I were the coaching staff I would do the same thing. Dude has one job. Sack the QB. No more practice and I wouldn't play him but maybe one series during that 3rd preseason game. Something tells me he won't be playing until Tampa.

Maybe that's why he lines up offsides
He's a veteran he knows what he has to do to be ready to play I not worried. As long as he shows up on game day and performs its all good.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

That's one way of getting closer to the QB.
Originally posted by Giedi:

That's one way of getting closer to the QB.

and he did it against a QB that goodell protects better than his new born.

I said the same thing on the Bosa thread. Ford played thru this for a couple of seasons and didn't miss a lot of games because they rested him during the week. He plays a position that doesn't require a lot of reps during the week. He knows how to rush the passer. I've had arthritis and tendonitis for years and you learn how to deal with it. These big strong athletes deal with pain on a daily basis throughout their career. I heard one player describe his body as one big gigantic wound on Monday morning. If my old body can deal with it, I'm sure Ford can too.
Let's face it guys, we're all worried about every little injury that comes out of camp because we've had 2 straight years of a MASH unit.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 7, 2019 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
He is getting a platelet rich plasma treatment for the knee .

Not a good sign IMO . Hopefully it works

The tendinitis is not a good sign, but using PRP for it's growth hormones which facilitate healing is a good idea. Still no real consensus on whether it helps speed up tendinitis and other injuries like ACLs (partials )or a host of other orthopedic surgeries. For TKA (total knee replacement #6) they used PRP and i did get better faster than the previous 5 knee replacements. Six back surgeries ago they used it and it didn't seem to make any difference, as the surgery failed.

Some orthopedic friends swear by PRP and others just swear at it. I dont see any harm in using it if a guy has tendinitis. If it helps great. NY made a comment a page before that Dee said he gets it every TC. In my experience that rings true. So let's just hope his knee tones down and returns to normal. Meantime staying off it is best bet plus PT . Dee probably doesn't need TC to remember how to rush the passer. But he does need to stay off it , as in football practice and all that entails.

To me it is good news that he has had it before at start of TC. Hopefully once he gets it in shape he''ll be good the rest of the yr.

All the more reason to draft Bosa 2.0 in next years draft!

But really, I do hope ShanaLynch does bolster the edge rusher position next year - I know most everybody here does as well. Maybe get younger, but maybe more raw Dee Ford 2.0 in the 2nd or 3rd round next year?

No 2nd round pick and 3rd may be too high for a guy that will ONLY be a backup. If we extend Ronald Blair, we are talking about the 4th pass rusher. While we should be developing someone, I'm thinking the player will come on day 3. I'm thinking OL will rule day 1 and 2 of the draft in 2020.

I wouldn't mind a day 3 edge rusher pick, I'll take that anytime, considering we *do* have two right now in Dee Ford and Bosa and assuming they stay healthy, it would be difficult to get a 3rd edge rusher to make the team, unless he's versatile and can play linebacker too.

Now if you ask me - assuming Bosa gets the starting nod and Dee Ford's snap count diminishes - between a Dee Ford with health challenges (back surgery, tendinitis, etc...) and a younger Dee Ford 2.0 maybe picked in the 2nd round. I'll take the 2nd rounder. Again assuming Dee Ford's snap count diminishes due to either Bosa doing so well, Blair doing so well, and/or his health takes a downturn for the worse.

I like that, buuuut, right now, as it stands, an edge rusher coming to this team is number 4 in the pecking order. I'm also looking at our tackle and guard situation. We could throw in DBs as well. Of course, all of this depends on how 2020 goes. But as it stands right now OT/OG > DB > Edge rusher in terms of priority.
It's actually nice to say edge rusher is NOT a priority and we are only looking for insurance for Dee Ford. I'm going to cross my fingers and assume he will be fine. Even if he doesn't, though we won't be BAD, we still should have a good pass rush with Buckner/Bosa and then Thomas playing inside. I think Bosa can play either side. This front office really has to be given credit for what they've done. They certainly have sunk enough capital into the position (four 1st rounders + one 2nd rounder ) and finally, it should actually pay off. I hope they don't mess it up by letting Blair play this season and not extending him. He seems like the type that can be a great role player on a top notch team, yet could get starting money elsewhere. Hope they get an extension done early.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I said the same thing on the Bosa thread. Ford played thru this for a couple of seasons and didn't miss a lot of games because they rested him during the week. He plays a position that doesn't require a lot of reps during the week. He knows how to rush the passer. I've had arthritis and tendonitis for years and you learn how to deal with it. These big strong athletes deal with pain on a daily basis throughout their career. I heard one player describe his body as one big gigantic wound on Monday morning. If my old body can deal with it, I'm sure Ford can too.
Let's face it guys, we're all worried about every little injury that comes out of camp because we've had 2 straight years of a MASH unit.

This is basically it lol.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Yep, I think it's going to be high maintenance all year.

Interesting. I would do the same. He's a pass rusher and a gamer, he does need much practice IMO. I would also try to limit hi. To 25-30 snaps a game to keep him fresh all year. We have the depth (as of right now) to do so

Interesting. I would do the same. He's a pass rusher and a gamer, he does need much practice IMO. I would also try to limit hi. To 25-30 snaps a game to keep him fresh all year. We have the depth (as of right now) to do so

Ouch
Good to hear...

After dealing with tendinitis early in training camp, Ford had a platelet-rich-plasma injection designed to speed up the healing process, missed the next three weeks of practice and only returned to the practice field this week. The treatment and time off worked wonders.

"He looked great today," Kyle Shanahan said Tuesday. "Very fresh legs, so we were messing with him over that. He looked very good."
Share 49ersWebzone