LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Dee Ford, DE

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Ford gets 18 sacks. Bosa settles for 17 while Buckner and Thomas tie for 15 a piece. It will be sad because none of them can crack 20.
Originally posted by genus49:

Ford gets 18 sacks. Bosa settles for 17 while Buckner and Thomas tie for 15 a piece. It will be sad because none of them can crack 20.

There will always be one fan who's still upset. Lol
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Lol it wouldn't surprise me.

"Why the hell couldnt they get a better rotation? Not having at least 5 guys in double digit sacks is pathetic after all the draft capital spent on the DL"
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
IF WE stay healthy...

I don't see why the our FOUR HORSEMEN couldn't register at least... at the very least... 9-9-9-9 sacks a piece !!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
IF WE stay healthy...

I don't see why the our FOUR HORSEMEN couldn't register at least... at the very least... 9-9-9-9 sacks a piece !!

I think the best defensive line I've seen was the '84 D Line. Kelcher, Gary Johnson, Michael Carter, and Fred Dean. If the 2019 D Line is half of that line, man we're in for an exciting year, for sure.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Lol it wouldn't surprise me.

"Why the hell couldnt they get a better rotation? Not having at least 5 guys in double digit sacks is pathetic after all the draft capital spent on the DL"

DEE 40

Wow! That's 65 sacks between 4 guys. Wishful thinking but that would translate to over 70 for the team. The NFL record is 72 by the Bears.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jul 10, 2019 at 8:08 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
IF WE stay healthy...

I think the best defensive line I've seen was the '84 D Line. Kelcher, Gary Johnson, Michael Carter, and Fred Dean. If the 2019 D Line is half of that line, man we're in for an exciting year, for sure.
1984 D-line??

I don't remember a KELCHER (on top of my head)... and I also don't think Michael Carter started that year due to he being on the Olympic.

I remember the line up of... Dwaine Board - Gary Johnson - Manu Tuiasosopo - Fred Dean...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
IF WE stay healthy...

1984 D-line??

I don't remember a KELCHER (on top of my head)... and I also don't think Michael Carter started that year due to he being on the Olympic.

I remember the line up of... Dwaine Board - Gary Johnson - Manu Tuiasosopo - Fred Dean...

the kids need to go look at the 1976 niner gold rush... the best d line in the history of the nfl. backed up by the sack totals.. a record of 61 in 14 games i i think. they were better than the steel curtain and the purple people eaters

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Wow! That's 65 sacks between 4 guys. Wishful thinking but that would translate to over 70 for the team. The NFL record is 72 by the Bears.

Think I low balled Nick? I think he has to prove what he can do in the NFL but you may be right, he very well could crack 20 as long as the offense does it's job and piles on the points and forces other teams to pass early on.

His skill set is perfect for the wide 9
IF WE stay healthy...

So 4 guys with 9 sacks? 49? Makes sense to me!

His skill set is perfect for the wide 9

Just the fact that we'll be rushing on first downs AND with Bosa and Ford has me all kinds of excite.
1984 D-line??

The starters that year were Board (248lbs), Manu Tuiasosopo (255lbs) and Jim Stuckey(251lbs). Fred Dean(230lbs came off the bench in passing situations but only played 5 games that year. Kelcher (291lbs) and Johnson (257lbs) also came off the bench in a rotation. Michael Carter (285lbs) was a rookie and got more playing time as the season went on. It would have been rare to see Board, Johnson, Manu and Dean on the field together. I put the weights in there just to remind everyone how much smaller they were back then. Linebackers today are as big as the linemen were then. I forgot Lawrence Pillars and Jeff Stover. Pillars started 7 games in place of Stuckey. All of them are still alive except Johnson, who died from a stroke in 2010. Every one of them got at least one sack during the year in which they totaled 51. Not a bad bunch of linemen. Unfortunately they didn't play together very long. At least half retired the next year of year after.
Some more info on that team. ( sorry guys but I'm bored. Can't wait for the season) . The Niners had 9 draft picks that year.
1) Todd Shell total bust
2 John Frank good tight end but he retired after a couple of seasons to go to medical school
3 Guy McIntyre long time starting guard and one of the first linemen to carry the ball in short yardage. It inspired the Bears to use the Fridge.
5 Michael Carter.. great nose tackle with multiple pro bowls
5 Jeff Fuller big, fast DB that had a ton of promise but had his career ended early from an injury
9 Lee Miller a DB I don't remember. Not sure if he made the team
9 Derrick Harmon an okay RB but he never really achieved much
10 Dave Moritz a wide receiver who didn't make it
11 Kirk Pendelton another wide receiver that did nothing
So out of 9 picks we ended up with only 2 players who were long time contributors. It shows that even that great regime didn't always have good drafts. Todd Shell was hurt so much they called him Crystal. They lost Frank and Fuller to unforeseen circumstances and the rest were just guys that weren't very good.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jul 20, 2019 at 1:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone