There are 188 users in the forums

Dee Ford, DE

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
This. I'm not so sure he will be playing all 3 downs. Maybe some but in the end they're paying him to get to the QB and I think they'll want to keep him as fresh as they can for the obvious nickel downs. Which still account for over 60 percent of the snaps alone.

My big thing with Saleh is will he REALLY run nickel up to 70% of the time now; now that he has the edge rushers. It's been almost 50/50 up to now.

The funny thing is we could probably run our nickel defense now 100% and be perfectly fine against the run and esp. good against the pass.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 6, 2019 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Any info on Kwon's medical status...ie, an update?

I read an article dated on march 14 2019 that said kwon would need three to four more months to heal from the acl. that would put him at around a july time frame. by September he should be good to go
Originally posted by NCommand:
This. I'm not so sure he will be playing all 3 downs. Maybe some but in the end they're paying him to get to the QB and I think they'll want to keep him as fresh as they can for the obvious nickel downs. Which still account for over 60 percent of the snaps alone.

My big thing with Saleh is will he REALLY run nickel up to 70% of the time now; now that he has the edge rushers. It's been almost 50/50 up to now.

The funny thing is we could probably run our nickel defense now 100% and be perfectly fine against the run and esp. good against the pass.

This. My thoughts are with the 7 and a healthy Verrett, pass defense could be top-10, maybe event top-5. If that's the case, why even bother with run D? A team could conceivable have a top-5 pass D, a bottom-5 run D, and still finish as a top-10 defense. Perhaps what he runs will depend on the team.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This. My thoughts are with the 7 and a healthy Verrett, pass defense could be top-10, maybe event top-5. If that's the case, why even bother with run D? A team could conceivable have a top-5 pass D, a bottom-5 run D, and still finish as a top-10 defense. Perhaps what he runs will depend on the team.

For sure. And its not like Bosa, Thomas and Buckner aren't stellar against the run anyhow. Only Ford would be "adequate" or a concern but less of a concern next to these three and with Warner and Kwon behind him.

This dumbass should be running nickel at least 90% of the time. Put more faith in your linebackers to shed blocks and tackle the runner.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by babarvaart:
Ford will surely be playing all 3 downs for the amount of money they're paying him.

They paid him to sack the QB...I don't care about run downs with him or the idea that he has to be a 3 down guy. I want him pinning his ears back and attacking the QB. His QB pressure will lead to turnovers.

This is why he's making the big bucks.

You are right, but what percent of the time would Ford be playing SAM if they do go with Ford at LB, Bosa at LEO and Thomas, Armstead, or Street at LDE? Ford could certainly handle it and I like him out there much better than I like Malcolm Smith, Fred Warner, Nzeocha, etc. Or we could actually send a blitzing linebacker on 1st or 2nd down, god forbid.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

This dumbass should be running nickel at least 90% of the time. Put more faith in your linebackers to shed blocks and tackle the runner.

Don't make fun of Xerxes like that.

It's tough to say how Saleh will manage his personnel groupings because this is the best caliber of edge rushers he's had. What I do know is the 49ers wouldn't have used precious draft capital and cap space to upgrade the pass rush if the intent wasn't to use it. The team identified their pass rush as a weakness and they used alot of resources to fix it. I'd imagine they will be using their nickel packages quite a bit.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by babarvaart:
Ford will surely be playing all 3 downs for the amount of money they're paying him.

they paid jimmy ward to keep the bench warm.... So I don't know...

Aldon Smith was a part time player in his first year and was used to just pass rush. I think they will gradually bring Bosa in and towards the end of the year, he'll be playing 3 downs. But I wouldn't want to put him at first and second downs unless he's really well versed in all the defensive calls needed on those two downs. He was brought in to rush the passer and I think if he just does that in his first year, he's worth his weight in red and gold.

but aldon smith was raw and Bosa skills are so refined that he can start day one. No need to ease him in like Aldon

Saleh might just do that to save his job. I just think as a freshman player, they Aren't used to a 16 game schedule, so I'd really be careful and not burn out Bosa and have him enter the dreaded sophomore slump too soon.

It's tough to say how Saleh will manage his personnel groupings because this is the best caliber of edge rushers he's had. What I do know is the 49ers wouldn't have used precious draft capital and cap space to upgrade the pass rush if the intent wasn't to use it. The team identified their pass rush as a weakness and they used alot of resources to fix it. I'd imagine they will be using their nickel packages quite a bit.

Well said!

• 9moon
  • Veteran
DEE " THE WARRIOR II " FORDDDDDDDDD !!!!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Excited to see our new dudes wreak havoc on all QB's!!

Well said!

+1
hes gonna line up opposite Sherman, cant wait!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erphan:

Well said!

+1

+2
Share 49ersWebzone