LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Dee Ford, DE

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I think Dee Ford will end up playing SLB on base downs and edge rusher on passing downs. I know Lynch said he is a fulltime LEO but i think that was just so people didnt think we still have a vacancy at LEO going into the draft. They need to get all the best players on the field at the same time so it makes the most sense, especially since Fords weakness is that he isnt very good at the run. He knows how to cover from being a 3-4 OLB so he has the skills and knowledge to do so

I'd like to think this, but the staff and experts are pushing a Buckner and Ford terrorizing the right/blind side.. But if Bosa can play LDE (ala Patrick Kerney/Justin Smith), then everybody still wins.

I definitely think Bosa can man the LDE spot as well as RDE, which is where many of us thought he would be before the Dee Ford trade. I think on base downs, it's Bosa-Buckner-Jones-AA/Thomas/Street with Ford at SAM, then Ford-Buckner-Thomas/AA/Street-Bosa on passing downs.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
You forget that Ford just had the best season of anyone in football rushing the passer. Clark might be better as an all-around defender, but Ford helps fix our biggest weakness.

We have more than enough guys who are really good at stopping the run and are about to add another in a couple of days. We have no one with his speed and bend though and Clark isn't in his league either.

Bingo!! Nice post. Ford has probably the quickest first step in football or at least too 3. So glad we got him for just a second next year.

Nasta Nailed it.

Buck and Ford are going to be a nasty combo - possibly along the likes of the Smith Brothers.

I can't wait!

Heeeellllllll yyyyeeaaaahhhhhhhh
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I think Dee Ford will end up playing SLB on base downs and edge rusher on passing downs. I know Lynch said he is a fulltime LEO but i think that was just so people didnt think we still have a vacancy at LEO going into the draft. They need to get all the best players on the field at the same time so it makes the most sense, especially since Fords weakness is that he isnt very good at the run. He knows how to cover from being a 3-4 OLB so he has the skills and knowledge to do so

I'd like to think this, but the staff and experts are pushing a Buckner and Ford terrorizing the right/blind side.. But if Bosa can play LDE (ala Patrick Kerney/Justin Smith), then everybody still wins.

I definitely think Bosa can man the LDE spot as well as RDE, which is where many of us thought he would be before the Dee Ford trade. I think on base downs, it's Bosa-Buckner-Jones-AA/Thomas/Street with Ford at SAM, then Ford-Buckner-Thomas/AA/Street-Bosa on passing downs.

If you're the 49ers you need to have Ford and Bosa in on all 3 downs, so playing Ford at SAM would be wise IMO on base downs, with Bosa at RDE, but I do believe he can play both LDE and RDE as well.

I love our DL depth, Ford, Bosa, Buck, AA, Solly, Street, Jones, Blair
Ford will surely be playing all 3 downs for the amount of money they're paying him.
Originally posted by babarvaart:
Ford will surely be playing all 3 downs for the amount of money they're paying him.

they paid jimmy ward to keep the bench warm.... So I don't know...
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Aldon Smith was a part time player in his first year and was used to just pass rush. I think they will gradually bring Bosa in and towards the end of the year, he'll be playing 3 downs. But I wouldn't want to put him at first and second downs unless he's really well versed in all the defensive calls needed on those two downs. He was brought in to rush the passer and I think if he just does that in his first year, he's worth his weight in red and gold.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Aldon Smith was a part time player in his first year and was used to just pass rush. I think they will gradually bring Bosa in and towards the end of the year, he'll be playing 3 downs. But I wouldn't want to put him at first and second downs unless he's really well versed in all the defensive calls needed on those two downs. He was brought in to rush the passer and I think if he just does that in his first year, he's worth his weight in red and gold.

but aldon smith was raw and Bosa skills are so refined that he can start day one. No need to ease him in like Aldon

They paid him to sack the QB...I don't care about run downs with him or the idea that he has to be a 3 down guy. I want him pinning his ears back and attacking the QB. His QB pressure will lead to turnovers.

This is why he's making the big bucks.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 6, 2019 at 6:29 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

We seems to have a better supporting cast inside for him than the Chiefs last year. Not to mention BOSA on the other side

His trade for a future 2nd rd, might be just as big for the defense as Jimmy G for the offense.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 6, 2019 at 6:43 AM ]

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

We seems to have a better supporting cast inside for him than the Chiefs last year. Not to mention BOSA on the other side

His trade for a future 2nd rd, might be just as big for the defense as Jimmy G for the offense.

If everyone gets healthy (kwon) we're looking at one of the best front 7s in football
Any info on Kwon's medical status...ie, an update?

They paid him to sack the QB...I don't care about run downs with him or the idea that he has to be a 3 down guy. I want him pinning his ears back and attacking the QB. His QB pressure will lead to turnovers.

Keep in mind too that he dropped back in coverage 100 times last year. Imagine how many more QB pressures, hits, sacks and forced fumbles he'd have with a 100 extra chances.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Any info on Kwon's medical status...ie, an update?

Let's look out Kyle and John's window for an update. I'm beginning to think the 'window' is just a BS metaphor

This. I'm not so sure he will be playing all 3 downs. Maybe some but in the end they're paying him to get to the QB and I think they'll want to keep him as fresh as they can for the obvious nickel downs. Which still account for over 60 percent of the snaps alone.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on May 6, 2019 at 8:28 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone