LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 413 users in the forums

Dee Ford, DE

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TyCore:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Dr. chao saying it's should put his knee tendonitis in the past is what I needed to hear this is amazing news if it ends up true.

Giving Ford a solid 600+ snaps next yr could take this defenses to a different level.

Agreed. I'm very hopeful, but with caveats.

I remember Dr Chao commenting to someone on twitter that he's on the outside looking in.

He can only compare things to his experience and he bases his information on what he thinks injuries are--as many of them aren't entirely disclosed a la Kittle's injuries from last year.

I guess I'm saying that if it were tendonosis, I'm not sure Dr. Chao would know.

Who knows, I've followed Chao (mainly for fantasy football purposes) dude is on point like 90% of the time.
Medical people know. We basically have a doc as a mod and he's already stated there isint this huge distinction made between the terms. It's understandable that non-medical people would hear a term and jump the gun on what is and what's not.

Said it pages upon pages ago,.. the huge distinction between the two terms found on Google was never necessary.

We just hope that we can get the full value out of the trade.
Originally posted by random49er:
Medical people know. We basically have a doc as a mod and he's already stated there isint this huge distinction made between the terms. It's understandable that non-medical people would hear a term and jump the gun on what is and what's not.

Said it pages upon pages ago,.. the huge distinction between the two terms found on Google was never necessary.

The tendonitis progressing to tendonosis came straight from Dee Fords mouth last year. He's the one who said it was no long longer just a pain tolerance issue, but now a chronic knee deterioration issue . So people kind of jumped on it after that
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on May 30, 2020 at 10:40 AM ]
  • dj43
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/05/30/dee-ford-pretty-extensive-arthroscopic-knee-surgery/

KC take on Ford and his time there and the trade.
Do you guys keep going at it with the terminology? It doesn't matter, especially when it's all assumptions based on media reports and a bunch of them might use the terms inaccurately. It's easy to mix them up. Tendinitis/tendonitis, Tendinosis/tendonosis are not really used anymore, or at least not recommend to be used in the medical field. It's often to see them colloquially used, that different from being medically accurate. Tendinopathy is the umbrella term used for all tendon injuries (tendinitis, tendinosis, paratenonitis, tenosynovitis) and being more adopted currently.

Unless someone has access to Ford clinical file, with all his injury history, imaging results, physical tests, etc. there's no point trying to figure out which term is more accurate for his condition.
To all of us outsiders, we can only make assumptions based on the injury timeline. Considering the recurrent problems and the time he's been dealing with this, it's probably a chronic tendon condition.

Just to bring some more confusion to the terminology (but with the goal of helping understand where might Ford be and where his condition might evolve), one of the worldwide leading researchers on tendon injuries proposed a new classification with different stages:
- Reactive Tendon;............................... - Tendon Dysrepair;.......................... - Degenerative tendon.
<<-- More Potential to reverse tendon condition* --- Less Potential to reverse tendon condition* -->>

*Tendon condition meaning the physiology of the tendon tissue.

Again, making assumptions from Ford's injury timeline, he's probably somewhere between 2 and 3.
This surgery should help him with pain and exacerbations, but I'd guess it's unlikely to affect the physiological condition of the tendon directly.

One crappy thing about tendon ruptures is that 97% of the cases have degenerative changes. Hopefully it won't happen with Ford.
[ Edited by weit53 on May 30, 2020 at 12:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
One idea I have is if any of his understudies show some production and talent. (Kongbo,Hyder, Barrett) that would help spot Dee Ford from being used too much during the regular season, and save his reps for the playoffs. I think the odds are - even without Dee Ford - this team still has a decent shot at getting into the playoffs. It's getting to the super bowl - and winning - is where we need Dee Ford at his best.

Very astute. Where did we really need Dee last yr? SB, hands down the one most important game. So Giedi's idea of parsing out Dee's playing time seems like the one very best way to utilize him. If we are playing AZ, or SEA, we probably will need Dee. But not every play and maybe only 1 or2 plays / series.

Best thing we could do would be to use Dee when absolutely needed and let him protect and rest that knee the remainder of the time. Then when called up , he is there and ready to go. No way we should be using him every game. Games that are slam dunks, keep Dee on the sideline. But then when we need him he's there.

Maybe we don't need 500 snaps this yr. if we dole them out just when absolutely necessary, that seems like a much more reasonable way to utilize the skills Dee has. And the less he has to do the more benefit we get from him. Games that he isn't needed...ie, a weak opponent...don't use him. Meantime as per Giedi above, spot use Kongbo, Hyder, Barrett...and see what else we have here on the sidelines. Be great to get those guys in the rotation.
Yea i think post 4816 pretty much states the case
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

The tendonitis progressing to tendonosis came straight from Dee Fords mouth last year. He's the one who said it was no long longer just a pain tolerance issue, but now a chronic knee deterioration issue . So people kind of jumped on it after that

Dee is not a doctor. The diagnosis is what it is. Not sure what people are trying to say here. Tendonosis can't be cured, according to the commentary on this thread. So any surgery would be to relieve irritation and discomfort, possibly correct some correctable conditions discovered while actually in the knee.

Tendinitis, also known as tendonitis, is the inflammation of a tendon. It happens when a person overuses or injures a tendon, for example, during sport. It is normally linked to an acute injury with inflammation. It often affects the elbow, wrist, finger, thigh, and other parts of the body

Tendonosis is caused by chronic overuse of a tendon. It can occur in any tendon, but most often occurs in the tendons of the:
  • heel (in the Achilles tendon)
  • wrists
  • elbows
  • knees (in the patellar tendon)
  • shoulder (in the rotator cuff)

What's the difference between tendonosis and tendonitis?
Tendonosis is different and more serious than tendonitis. Tendonitis is acute (short-term) inflammation in the tendons. It may go away in just a few days with rest and physical therapy. Tendonitis results from micro-tears in the tendon when it's overloaded by sudden or heavy force.

There is no inflammation in tendonosis, but rather the actual tissue in the tendons is degrading. Untreated tendonitis can eventually lead to tendonosis. It's important see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. Tendonosis and tendonitis are treated differently.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Dee is not a doctor. The diagnosis is what it is. Not sure what people are trying to say here. Tendonosis can't be cured, according to the commentary on this thread. So any surgery would be to relieve irritation and discomfort, possibly correct some correctable conditions discovered while actually in the knee.

Tendinitis, also known as tendonitis, is the inflammation of a tendon. It happens when a person overuses or injures a tendon, for example, during sport. It is normally linked to an acute injury with inflammation. It often affects the elbow, wrist, finger, thigh, and other parts of the body

Tendonosis is caused by chronic overuse of a tendon. It can occur in any tendon, but most often occurs in the tendons of the:
  • heel (in the Achilles tendon)
  • wrists
  • elbows
  • knees (in the patellar tendon)
  • shoulder (in the rotator cuff)

What's the difference between tendonosis and tendonitis?
Tendonosis is different and more serious than tendonitis. Tendonitis is acute (short-term) inflammation in the tendons. It may go away in just a few days with rest and physical therapy. Tendonitis results from micro-tears in the tendon when it's overloaded by sudden or heavy force.

There is no inflammation in tendonosis, but rather the actual tissue in the tendons is degrading. Untreated tendonitis can eventually lead to tendonosis. It's important see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. Tendonosis and tendonitis are treated differently.

I guess Dee just pulled tendonosis out of his ass. I would assume anything he's relaying about his condition is being relayed to him from the doctors.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on May 30, 2020 at 7:04 PM ]
Well "itis" usually means inflammation.I think he messed up the phrase given to him by the doctor.Who knows,Don't think I ever heard the term tendonosis.
I guess Dee just pulled tendonosis out of his ass. I would assume anything he's relaying about his condition is being relayed to him from the doctors.

Originally posted by scottym:
Well "itis" usually means inflammation.I think he messed up the phrase given to him by the doctor.Who knows,Don't think I ever heard the term tendonosis.

Possibly, but he specifically said it had progressed from tendonitis to tendonosis. I posted that athletic article a few pages back, will try to find it. Who knows though, let's just hope this surgery helps fix what was ailing him
The only reason I posted the above is because people were saying that Dee never had tendonosis or there isn't any difference between tendonosis and tendonitis.

The state of things is that Dee still has tendonosis. The surgery didn't fix it. But it did relieve many pain symptoms and hopefully will reduce the degree to which the tendons deteriorate. He still needs to be snap count managed. But we have a better chance of getting 400-550 quality snaps out of dee. If they come in January there is a good chance we get to the super bowl again.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The only reason I posted the above is because people were saying that Dee never had tendonosis or there isn't any difference between tendonosis and tendonitis.

The state of things is that Dee still has tendonosis. The surgery didn't fix it. But it did relieve many pain symptoms and hopefully will reduce the degree to which the tendons deteriorate. He still needs to be snap count managed. But we have a better chance of getting 400-550 quality snaps out of dee. If they come in January there is a good chance we get to the super bowl again.

If he can play pain free that would be great for him.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I need some god damn blood platelet therapy news.

I hope Jonathan Kongbo can challenge Dee Ford for the Starting Edge rusher position.

But on a more serious note, I was really impressed with Kongbo's CFL highlights. I remember Velaloga and Demontre Moore from last year, and at first I didn't know who these players were, but they contributed to the defense last year. I'm hoping Barett, Kongbo, or Hyder can make the team and get the edge rusher position behind Dee Ford deeper. I pretty much am assuming Dee Ford will be out 50% of the games again almost like last year, Blood Platelet therapy or not.

It was his hamstring lol. Healthy hamstring and Dee Ford plays 16 games.

It's all linked. His hammy went because of the knee issues. When something hurts you alter your movements to accommodate which led to the hammy issues.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I need some god damn blood platelet therapy news.

I hope Jonathan Kongbo can challenge Dee Ford for the Starting Edge rusher position.

But on a more serious note, I was really impressed with Kongbo's CFL highlights. I remember Velaloga and Demontre Moore from last year, and at first I didn't know who these players were, but they contributed to the defense last year. I'm hoping Barett, Kongbo, or Hyder can make the team and get the edge rusher position behind Dee Ford deeper. I pretty much am assuming Dee Ford will be out 50% of the games again almost like last year, Blood Platelet therapy or not.

It was his hamstring lol. Healthy hamstring and Dee Ford plays 16 games.

It's all linked. His hammy went because of the knee issues. When something hurts you alter your movements to accommodate which led to the hammy issues.

I think he's over his hammy issues. I think he plays the full season pain free.
Share 49ersWebzone