There are 298 users in the forums

Dee Ford, DE

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Have a feeling his contract considering his contribution is going to hurt us the most.

They can get out of it after this season with minimal hit

$4,800,000 in dead money minimal with $12,800,000 cap savings AFTER 2020.

We all want him to play well and often. If he does that, the juice is worth the squeeze.

Yup. And I realized I may have worded that poorly. When I say this season, I meant the 2020 season

My personal opinion is that too much has been made of his injury history. Apart from the tendon issue, he has had the normal amount of injuries that players in his position have. We rolled the dice big-time and were one overthrown pass away from a Lombardi. I'll take that.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Yes. There are many links but this one pretty much says it all
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320558.php#tendinosis-vs-tendonitis

I don't know the plan, but it's a big [IF]... I hope he does a something more helpful that last year (just rested up)
Well hes had tendenosis his entire career? So there doesnt seem to be the 3-6 month recovery time frame at play here. Realistically i dont see him taking more effective snaps next year than he did this year.

No, he has had several bouts of knee tendonitis that eventually turned into tendonosis this past year. So the degenerative condition is new.

Considering he already has had a PRP...which did nothing...he will likely never get over it. It will be a tolerance thing. And if this year is any clue, it renders him inoperable for weeks on end. Tough to see the condition IMPROVING during the season.

He will feel better in the offseason because he's not stressing the knee like he does mid season. That's not the test. Don't buy into any optimism during the offseason. He needs to hold up *during* the season.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Yes. There are many links but this one pretty much says it all
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320558.php#tendinosis-vs-tendonitis

I don't know the plan, but it's a big [IF]... I hope he does a something more helpful that last year (just rested up)
Well hes had tendenosis his entire career? So there doesnt seem to be the 3-6 month recovery time frame at play here. Realistically i dont see him taking more effective snaps next year than he did this year.

No, he has had several bouts of knee tendonitis that eventually turned into tendonosis this past year. So the degenerative condition is new.

Considering he already has had a PRP...which did nothing...he will likely never get over it. It will be a tolerance thing. And if this year is any clue, it renders him inoperable for weeks on end. Tough to see the condition IMPROVING during the season.

He will feel better in the offseason because he's not stressing the knee like he does mid season. That's not the test. Don't buy into any optimism during the offseason. He needs to hold up *during* the season.

He stopped holding up and missed time once he tweaked the hamstring. He can, and has, played through the knee
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He stopped holding up and missed time once he tweaked the hamstring. He can, and has, played through the knee

He missed several games due to the knee.

He missed several games due to the knee.

His missed time was from the hamstring, not the knee
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Feb 13, 2020 at 5:23 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
We need to sign another guy in draft or FA to take his place...if we plan on keeping him, just rest him all off season then let him work out in the regular season (slowly bring him back), then let eem loose in the playoffs, f**k it
We need to sign another guy in draft or FA to take his place...if we plan on keeping him, just rest him all off season then let him work out in the regular season (slowly bring him back), then let eem loose in the playoffs, f**k it

Sounds like a plan to me. The more pass rushers we have, the Better.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:

I'd love to draft a DE that can spell Ford and Nick and would take over if Ford can't go because of that knee/hammy.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

I'd love to draft a DE that can spell Ford and Nick and would take over if Ford can't go because of that knee/hammy.

Yes, I'm down with you guys...we got players coming back from injuries and they just signed some other dudes. Someone from that bunch could become a solid piece like Blair and maybe Moore before his injury.
  • Kyzen
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yes, I'm down with you guys...we got players coming back from injuries and they just signed some other dudes. Someone from that bunch could become a solid piece like Blair and maybe Moore before his injury.

Yeah, thats when we struggled this season. We need to build on the defense with solid, quality depth.
But damn, we need to add some OL help too and it looks like Sanders might be gone so a WR will be in the mix too.
We need to find a late round LB too that can step in as well.

Lol, f**k the shopping list is growing.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Have a feeling his contract considering his contribution is going to hurt us the most.

This begs to be restructured IMHO.

Yeah, if he's just a 25% player like this last year, this needs to be restructured.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

This begs to be restructured IMHO.

Yeah, if he's just a 25% player like this last year, this needs to be restructured.

Not much a restructuring will do. The money still ultimately gets paid.

And there's no incentive for him to take a pay cut. The open market will pay him well. The league is too desperate for pass rushers. And there are a ton of awful teams with space who need to do something.

*IF* he doesn't play 70% of the defensive snaps this season... I think they will attempt to trade him next offseason. That's especially true of Joey Bosa does not sign a LTD with LA.
Ford only was in for 226 snaps this year after taking 1022 the previous season. Let's hope he can get back to something over 600 snaps.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Ford only was in for 226 snaps this year after taking 1022 the previous season. Let's hope he can get back to something over 600 snaps.

That's why he is a shoe in to be back this year. Niners need to know what they got in him. Every other year after 2020 is basically a team option. So, no need to rush. And Niners can easily get out of this contract starting in 2021.
[ Edited by okdkid on Feb 14, 2020 at 10:45 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

That's why he is a shoe in to be back this year. Niners need to know what they got in him. Every other year after 2020 is basically a team option. So, no need to rush. And Niners can easily get out of this contract starting in 2021.

Yeah, he'll have '20 to prove himself, otherwise, he's cut in '21.
Share 49ersWebzone