LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Dee Ford, DE

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Maybe he'll restructure to avoid being cut?

Why the heck would we restructure his deal? We don't want to be on the hook for more money spread across the life of the contract.

Restructuring Dee Ford's deal last year was a terrible decision by the front office.

Right now his dead money hit is $14.3M, with a cap savings of $6.4M.

The best hope is he can heal and have a productive year next year. There is no easy out from this deal.
What a terrible deal this turned out to be. Not only did chiefs take our second rounder, they took our super bowl now we have a s**t load of cap space invested in this dude. Ughhh
What a terrible deal this turned out to be. Not only did chiefs take our second rounder, they took our super bowl now we have a s**t load of cap space invested in this dude. Ughhh

It hasn't turned out well but if you go back and look, most fans were a for it when they made the deal. Some deals work and some don't. At least Jimmy's deal won't kill them if they part ways with him next year. They traded a 2nd for him and basically got one season.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Ford is a damn genius. Don't hate the playa.

"My neck, my back, my hammy and my sack (groin)."

Dude basically opted out by "playing" 45 snaps in game 1 and then claiming injury. If he went the COVID route he'd be paid like $800K and pushing his contract to start over again next year. This way he got $19M and gets to quit without an extra year on his contract. Genius.

I'm not sure $19m is worth a potentially life altering back injury at age 29.
TBH as ugly as that dead money hit is I'd almost take it and walk away than let this linger on into next year.

Give me Hyder, a situational pass rusher like Willis and a drafted edge over keeping Ford. Ford's 6 mil in savings would go along way to covering that regardless of the dead money.
Bum city
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

Why the heck would we restructure his deal? We don't want to be on the hook for more money spread across the life of the contract.

Restructuring Dee Ford's deal last year was a terrible decision by the front office.

The best hope is he can heal and have a productive year next year. There is no easy out from this deal.

Cap savings is all that matters. We have $6M MORE in space if he's off the roster. That's all there is to it. Dead cap is figured into the estimated savings.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Why aren't you asking Jimmy to give his money back. He's missed about the same number of games.

No problem with that either. Nice to pay people not to play. With Ford its a little more understandable, he plays a physically demanding position. Although he did sustain a new injury by playing one game this season. JG missed more games at QB the last three years than any other QB, including the really old dudes at the position.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Dec 1, 2020 at 2:31 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by dj43:

Cap savings is all that matters. We have $6M MORE in space if he's off the roster. That's all there is to it. Dead cap is figured into the estimated savings.

Yup. We don't lose anything with Hyder and can then move forward without Ford's contract in future years.

Would take that deal.
I wonder if people here would feel differently about Ford if we had seen a gruesome injury on the field? Like, if his leg was bent the wrong way 90 degrees in Game 1 (when he sustained the back injury) would the cries of "bum" and "thief" be absent from this thread? Is it the vague nature of a back injury that has Ford's character in question?

I don't hate or blame Ford, Jimmy or any player that has problems staying healthy. We all want them on the field but no more than they want to be out there. Some people just get hurt more just like some people never seem to age. In the end, it doesn't make any difference why they aren't playing. All that counts is they aren't helping the team. Not their fault. Just the facts.
I don't hate or blame Ford, Jimmy or any player that has problems staying healthy. We all want them on the field but no more than they want to be out there. Some people just get hurt more just like some people never seem to age. In the end, it doesn't make any difference why they aren't playing. All that counts is they aren't helping the team. Not their fault. Just the facts.

Not blaming the player. Just venting and lamenting the situation along with the poor cap and competitive position it has left SF in. Basically paying players to do nothing to help the team on a week to week basis. Sucks.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Dec 1, 2020 at 3:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Rathof44:

Not blaming the player. Just venting and lamenting the situation along with the poor cap and competitive position it has left SF in. Basically paying players to do nothing to help the team on a week to week basis. Sucks.

I'm sure Lynch and Paraag aren't happy either but they're in a tough position. As has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, we could see some big changes in the off season. They may decide to scrape together one more year with the current roster or they could make some tough decisions and try and set themselves up for a longer run. It won't be a dull off season.
  • thl408
Originally posted by captveg:
I wonder if people here would feel differently about Ford if we had seen a gruesome injury on the field? Like, if his leg was bent the wrong way 90 degrees in Game 1 (when he sustained the back injury) would the cries of "bum" and "thief" be absent from this thread? Is it the vague nature of a back injury that has Ford's character in question?

For me, yes. I would feel differently if he had a grotesque injury rather than these nagging ailments. These frequent soft tissue injuries are frustrating because it seems like he's not taking care of his body like a professional should. I understand he's not faking it.

Compare this to Richburg who had his knee bent backwards. I understand why he hasn't come back yet. It's going to take a year to come back from that.
The good news is Bosa will be back next year, they'll likely re-sign Hyder, and they may be able to sign Jordan Willis for a reasonable amount. I think Willis has the talent to become a good pass rusher under Coach Kocurek. Unsure about Blair's future...he's been good for us, but will be a UFA in 2021. Cutting Ford will free up @$6M, but leave a dead cap hit of over $14M. A healthy Ford would be great...but we'll see how that goes.
Share 49ersWebzone