There are 113 users in the forums

RIP Cedric Hardman

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 42,959
RIP
RIP
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,322
Originally posted by dj43:
Good memories.

I often wondered what could have been if Monte Clark had not been forced out by Joe Thomas after that 1976 season.

Most folks recall the poor choice DeBartolo made by getting involved in the river boat gambling deal but hiring Thomas as GM was almost as bad. The team, with all those guys you named, was doing very well under Clark. Clark left and things went in the tank BADLY.

first thing.. i think we would have had to look at the wide out thing. after willie mcgee got hurt ,. never to see the field again. we had dick witcher opposite gene which was nice but we needed another speed guy. the defense would have been fine with the gold rush. i think the big thing was what to do with plunket. he was a game manager but that was it. i think had monte stayed we never would have traded for oj which means we would have had lots of good draft picks and would not have to end up drafting stan black and elmo boyd
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,322
Originally posted by elguapo:
Nice recon cc. I never knew we had the record until 1976. Wow. 61 sacks in 14??? Dam 5 a game avg and the bears got 71 in 1986. That's on pace to tie or Break the all time record. I may have to watch some highlights. Thanks

i wish i could find some highlights. a few do exist in you tube world. yes 61 sacks in 14 games. 10 in one game alone , i recall a monday night football game we played and the defense got a standing ovation about 9 times that night.. they were just crazy.. man that team was good 6-1 for the first half.. my best memory was that year we played the cardinals. now at the time. they had the BEST o line in the nfl led by conrad. who looks like burt reynols and bites people dobler and dan dierdorff vs our front four. it was a great great game. we won but then the injuries came.. he and vic and gene were my first favorite niners damn i wish i had the ability to screen and post his card i have from1972
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,322
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
RIP Cedric, one of my all time favorite 49ers. The very first 49er football card I even got.

i just saw this,, thank you so so much. remember how the cards always smelled like bubble gum?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,322
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
The O.J. trade was a nightmare of a deal the hurt the team for a few years.

false narrative. we ended up with stan black and elmo boyd in the draft!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,322
hell our defense was so good. this was actually pre gold rush.. our defense was so dang good. steve spurrier led us into the playoffs!! of course then we had ken willard and vic washington... when the gold rush days came. we had delvin williams and wilbur jackson. a great rush game and a violent defense was money in those days. delvin got us freddie solomon so that was good. while he was a raider and tough to watch. i loved when cedrick scored his first and only touchdown i think of his life on a fumble run back on MNF
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
F**k...my buddy just texted me this news, hit me like a ton of bricks, my ALL TIME favorite player...he and Johnny Bench were my sports idols. Cedrick never got the pub during or after his career that guys like Deacon Jones and Mean Joe got, but imo he was every bit their equal.

About 8-9 yrs ago, it was just before Christmas, think the 23rd, and there was some toy we had been trying to get for one of our kids, and we finally found it online at Walmart and ordered it, so anyway it's like 10pm and I'm going to the Martinez Walmart to pick it up. I walk in, and who the hell has a table set up with memorabilia and signing autographs? My idol, Cedrick mother effin Hardman, one of the baddest badasses to ever lace em up.

So of course I bought like 5 photos and have him sign, then as we're talking he realized I wasn't just a random fan who really didn't know who he was, and he was pretty impressed as I rattled off memories of specific games, etc. So then he just gives me a bunch more photos for free, then handed me his business card and wrote his cell number on there, told me to call him any time. I never did, but you bet I've got that card saved along with the many many pieces of Hardman/49er memorabilia that I have. RIP to a founding member of the Gold Rush, a true legend.
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
F**k...my buddy just texted me this news, hit me like a ton of bricks, my ALL TIME favorite player...he and Johnny Bench were my sports idols. Cedrick never got the pub during or after his career that guys like Deacon Jones and Mean Joe got, but imo he was every bit their equal.

About 8-9 yrs ago, it was just before Christmas, think the 23rd, and there was some toy we had been trying to get for one of our kids, and we finally found it online at Walmart and ordered it, so anyway it's like 10pm and I'm going to the Martinez Walmart to pick it up. I walk in, and who the hell has a table set up with memorabilia and signing autographs? My idol, Cedrick mother effin Hardman, one of the baddest badasses to ever lace em up.

So of course I bought like 5 photos and have him sign, then as we're talking he realized I wasn't just a random fan who really didn't know who he was, and he was pretty impressed as I rattled off memories of specific games, etc. So then he just gives me a bunch more photos for free, then handed me his business card and wrote his cell number on there, told me to call him any time. I never did, but you bet I've got that card saved along with the many many pieces of Hardman/49er memorabilia that I have. RIP to a founding member of the Gold Rush, a true legend.

He's the reason for the 'Ced' and 86 in my screen name.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
The O.J. trade was a nightmare of a deal the hurt the team for a few years.

false narrative. we ended up with stan black and elmo boyd in the draft!!!!

My bad cc! How could I have forgotten those all time greats!

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
The O.J. trade was a nightmare of a deal the hurt the team for a few years.

false narrative. we ended up with stan black and elmo boyd in the draft!!!!

My bad cc! How could I have forgotten those all time greats!

As great as those guys were, I might have to give the Bills a "slight" edge in that trade. Don't recall everyone they got with the 5 or 6 picks Niners gave up, but besides dumping a washed up expensive OJ, they drafted Joe Cribbs and also Tom Cousineau...Cousineau never played for them, but pick they got from Browns turned into Jim Kelly.
thanks for all the posts cc. just exactly my rememberance.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,322
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
thanks for all the posts cc. just exactly my rememberance.

all three of your user names were there. you lived it!!, forest blue had such a cool fu manchu mustache! i am sorry for pushing brodie out the door when he hurt his ankle and spurrier came in and led us to the playoffs. which of course led to brodie bailing out spurrier vs the vikings. even then i was a knee jerk reaction type of fan. lol i remember watching games and it was amazing. it seemed like on every play 86 was coming around the side and at time he seemed like he was virtually unblockable no offense to all the good teams we had in the 80s and 90s but i will always say the 76 8-6 team was maybe the best team we had that never made it to the super bowl
Great player and a good dude. Met him at a store where he was signing autographs. No one really recognized him so we BS'd about football for what seemed like a good 15-20 minutes.

RIP
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,214
Originally posted by billbird2111:
No cause given. He was part of those great Gold Rush teams that weren't very good, but the one team strength was our pass rush.

Hopefully we have the makings of the Gold Rush 2.0

RIP Mr. Cedric, I hope the current pass rushers will make you proud.
Share 49erswebzone