LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

2019 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Minds well pin this thread. This regime will have the same problems next year.

I tried to get as much success out of that model as I could. It's not easy. LOL
In FA, i am convinced that the ONE guy we need to get is the STUD CB who can play S...like McGourty. I don't care if it is Eleven Mil per yr or Thirteen mil, we gotta get a stud all pro CB. Pats had TWO in Chung and McGourty, and what you can do with a pair of CB/S type studs is off the books. Ergo, what we offer MCGourty is off the books....and we have to have that stud plus grow one of our own. Dix we should overpay also. Note, there once agiain is a ten percent escalation in payroll for these must have guys and we better be ready to pay. BB showed us what 2 CB/S can do. They literally can allow you to run anything you want up front. So for God Sakes, make McGourty ours and that means maybe FOURTEEN mil if required. But that is one guy we gotta have, And agree, then blow off the doors, with Dix. Be high bidder. .Do that and with a passrusher like Bosa or Q, then we got the chance to have a D that actually works.

Also it is a given we gotta have 2 LB starters, so there is the balance of that high dollar stuff. The ERs all second tier...we gotta get t least one. Hopefully 2. But all the above are going to be contested, and we have to be ready to pay. John better have a chat with paraag prior to FA and let him know we are busting thru the Ten Mil cutoff we have adhered to. That allows us ot get players , but just aren't very good ones. We are missing the Ten Mil players. Those are the guys who will make or break JLs tenure here. He has to blow up FA or he could be gone ...maybe i am wrong here, but i believe he has to produce. I want hm to stay. But to do that...expect to pay ten mil for at least 3 and maybe 4 FA guys.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
How is there a $10mil cutoff and no premium position FAs but your 1st 2 FAs are premium positions that are going to make 10+?

It changes this year. They absolutely have to nail down a CB and ER but both are barely over the $10M. Those deals will 'look' like the Sherman deal.

Gotcha
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Gotcha

That sneaky Paraag.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
In FA, i am convinced that the ONE guy we need to get is the STUD CB who can play S...like McGourty. I don't care if it is Eleven Mil per yr or Thirteen mil, we gotta get a stud all pro CB. Pats had TWO in Chung and McGourty, and what you can do with a pair of CB/S type studs is off the books. Ergo, what we offer MCGourty is off the books....and we have to have that stud plus grow one of our own. Dix we should overpay also. Note, there once agiain is a ten percent escalation in payroll for these must have guys and we better be ready to pay. BB showed us what 2 CB/S can do. They literally can allow you to run anything you want up front. So for God Sakes, make McGourty ours and that means maybe FOURTEEN mil if required. But that is one guy we gotta have, And agree, then blow off the doors, with Dix. Be high bidder. .Do that and with a passrusher like Bosa or Q, then we got the chance to have a D that actually works.

Also it is a given we gotta have 2 LB starters, so there is the balance of that high dollar stuff. The ERs all second tier...we gotta get t least one. Hopefully 2. But all the above are going to be contested, and we have to be ready to pay. John better have a chat with paraag prior to FA and let him know we are busting thru the Ten Mil cutoff we have adhered to. That allows us ot get players , but just aren't very good ones. We are missing the Ten Mil players. Those are the guys who will make or break JLs tenure here. He has to blow up FA or he could be gone ...maybe i am wrong here, but i believe he has to produce. I want hm to stay. But to do that...expect to pay ten mil for at least 3 and maybe 4 FA guys.

Yeah, there's just no way around it this year. They absolutely have to pay for a premium position (ER and/or CB) or two and that's going to be upwards of over Staley's $10.9M APY for a quality one (top ones will be in the $14-$17M range based on the current market). And Staley will be perfectly happy with that b/c he wants to win and win now. I think those contracts will look a lot like Sherman's where initially, everyone thought it was $13M APY but it's really <$10M.
The unstated part is that if we pull off the above, then draft is a piece of cake. But if paraag draws the purse strings tight,we don't succeed in FA and then we fail in draft.

FA has become the key. And if there is a F/U, there is one and only one guy to blame....and that will be paraag. His economy in FA will lose JL his job and once again set us back yet another yr. This is not difficult . This is simple. But JL and Kyle have got to let paraag know do it in FA or forget about success in draft. It starts here. FA.

Also it would be really nice to know that paraag knows this is all on him. If we bust in FA, then paraag has to accept the FAIL which is on him. Couldn't be any simpler than that.

Pair of 2nd tier ERs, pair of starter LBs, MCGourty, then dix. If an OG starter there blow it out his you know what and take him too. Make draft real, real easy. That is how you win draft. You win in FA. That checkbook better be really loose. Talking big bucks here. But right now....ah shucks, don't even want to think what that does to this team.

I do know what it means if we dont get the above in FA.. We see the same old schidt we have seen out there the last two yrs plus the previous 4... It's all on you Paraag, and everybody knows it. You better pray JL makes the above deals or your name is going to be the one everyone points the finger at. Just lettin' you know, bud.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 9, 2019 at 9:42 PM ]
NC that TE from Missouri went back to Missouri for his JR year.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
NC that TE from Missouri went back to Missouri for his JR year.

Thanks for being the draft eye in the sky!

Updated.
I'd try to sign Barr.

Trade down with JAX and acquire their 1st, 2nd and next year's first.

Trade once more with Cincy for their 1st and 2nd ( we kick them a 6th)

11 - Politte.

Use 36 and our 3rd rounder to get back into the late first round and draft Adderley.

Jax's 2nd rounder - Riley Ridley
Cincy's 2nd rounder - Best CB available.

Get SAM, EDGE, SAF, XWR and CB. Roll.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I'd try to sign Barr.

11 - Politte.

Use 36 and our 3rd rounder to get back into the late first round and draft Adderley.

You are having too much fun, sir. I like it.

NC, that list is excellent and must have been from hours of work. Thanks for putting in the time to put out a great list to use as a base to start from.

Posted this before, but it should be hung on banners all over SF..."Paraag...do your job." Do NOT put a limit of Joe S's salary as top offer in FA. Your upper $$ offer is no longer workable, and you have to put up the $11 mil or 14 mil /yr for McGourty. Same goes for TWO starting LBs...may not be in the over $$10 mil/yr range but will be higher than you think. Same for 2nd tier ERs/DEs in FA. Be prepared to pay more than they are worth. Your top $$ cutoff has killed us for two yrs in a row now, and this yr, bubba, you better be ready to spend money. And lots of it.

Here's the deal Paraag. IF you do not come up with top dollar for McGourty, and Dix(Or whoever here), plus 2 ERs 2nd tier guys, , plus two starter LBs, maybe an OG if available....then YOU paraag will be blamed for the failure of the 9ers. YOU alone. If you don't just loosen the purse strings and give JL tottal control of how much we spend, then YOU are the cause of a 7th consecutive yr of SF 49er failure. YOU, paraag.

So either come up with the bucks and agree pre FA that JL can use whatever it takes to acquire what we need in FA, and that means perhaps as many as 3 or even 4 guys signing contracts for $10, $12, even $14 mil/yr ...4 different guys. If you don't do that, then we bust in FA. So FAIL or succeed in FA paraag it is on you. And if you FAIL, then you deserve to be fired...and there will be a groundswell for that. You have managed to low ball FA the last 7 yrs, but hat is over. You FAILED for last 7 yrs.

This is your yr, Paraag. Show us the money. Show us the dough. We need 4 guys with big ticket salaries, and if you don't come thru, we will make a concerted effort to see you go elsewhere. Look Paraag, do the right thing, finally....and you are a hero. Be a tightwad, and you will be the goat...and that isn't greatest of all time. It is a grass eating goat. Until you change paraag, the 9ers arent going anywhere. And fans know it too.

We are just asking you to do the right thing. Open up the checkbook and let JL do what he should have done last 2 yrs. The best players, the ones with the great talent....they are all going to cost over the $10 mil imaginary lid you have imposed/ used. Time for you to do the right thing....or leave.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 10, 2019 at 8:48 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'd try to sign Barr.

11 - Politte.

You are having too much fun, sir. I like it.

I guy can dream. I really like Adderley at FS. But after the combine I'm guessing he solidifies a mid to late first round grade. I love Earl Thomas and if we signed him great. But I would prefer jumping back into the 1st to grab this kid. Prototype FS in our system.
I guy can dream. I really like Adderley at FS. But after the combine I'm guessing he solidifies a mid to late first round grade. I love Earl Thomas and if we signed him great. But I would prefer jumping back into the 1st to grab this kid. Prototype FS in our system.

Totally. What's fascinating to me are the moves in coaches on the defensive side.

These are sneaky scheme moves. With Joe Woods, like what we saw during the 4Q, expect more traditional 2-deep safety looks now. Not just exclusive single-high FS with Tartt in the box and Colbert deep third. This move allows for more flexibility in coverage schemes and plays to our personnel strengths more given we have Tartt, Harris, Reed, Moore, Exum, etc. with only one big question on whether Colbert can be the single-high FS we need (and no good fit behind him). Is Earl Thomas a permanent fix there? I think Kyle badly wants to expand the defense. Cover 3 has too many holes in it and is too top-talent-reliant at every level.

It's kind of like the change to Kris Kocurek as well. This move may also prompt changes in what players we look to acquire. Instead of the bigger DE's that Saleh loves, we're moving to more wide-9 looks which means, smaller, shot-out-of-a-cannon, hair-on-fire ER's. Speed, quickness, focused on edge rushing more than setting the edge in run defense. It may also mean that smaller DT's like Thomas and Blair play far far more inside on variant downs with a focus on one-gapping and beating OL at the snap to disrupt the backfield.

In short, we might be looking for different kinds of players now.
FRankly, i like quarters, IF, IF you have a paiir of hybrid CB/Ss to man them. Using quarters with 2 deep, you can literally run a 6/1 front and guarantee they won't get wide. Key is tho, having a McGourty and Chung as your hybrid DBs. Ohhhh...that's right. McGourty is just waiting there to let us buy him. If it takes $!4 mil...he is still a bargain. Make the back end tough, makes the front end tougher. And vice versa. We cannot afford Not to FA McGourty. He earned his $14 mil in the SB. Against the best O in the league.

And BB ain't going into the stratosphere for him. Get ready paraag, here is your first over $10 mil guy...the ideal DB, CB/S. . Don't come home with out him.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 10, 2019 at 3:03 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NC, that list is excellent and must have been from hours of work. Thanks for putting in the time to put out a great list to use as a base to start from.

Thanks Doc. Not too bad on a computer. I used PFF's FA list paying attention to their grade and esp. snap counts. That's telling. Then paired it down to team needs and for the 49ers Way, specifically to players familiar with our schemes, coaches ties and types of mid-tier players we'd go for noting the highest end players of cheapest positions and mid tier to lower tier for premium positions (not the top guys). Just used our history to try and predict our future while hoping they get more aggressive this year with serious needs at premium positions they can no longer ignore.

As to Paraag...he and his band of analysts will aid in the search, contracts and probably set the cap limit but maybe that's negotiated up given the dire needs we have coupled with the need to protect their biggest $ investment coming back from an ACL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 10, 2019 at 3:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone