LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

2019 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The question isn't so much what we need ( we need to fill a lot of spots ) but more how do we get them. The trade back to get more picks is one way and free agency is another. I can see merit in trading back but only if Bosa isn't there and they aren't convinced Allen is the right guy. We really need that edge guy to make an immediate impact. If nothing else it would get the fans excited again.

I like this kind of thinking and discussion. I'm 99% sure Nick Bosa goes to the Cards and Vance Joseph will be blessed once again with two dominant edge rushers in Jones and Bosa. We just miss out again on the best ER in the draft because that's what we do.

Now what. If we had fleeced the Bears, GM's might be a tad hesitant to trade with us. Not now.

Buuuut, is there a #2 even worth trading up for?

But we did beat Seattle in a meaningless game!
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Feb 8, 2019 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
team needs to be relevant!

But that doesnt fit Kyle's system.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
team needs to be relevant!

But that doesnt fit Kyle's system.

lets trade whatever we have to the pats and get nothing in return because they gave us a acl torn qb, thats never played a full season.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The question isn't so much what we need ( we need to fill a lot of spots ) but more how do we get them. The trade back to get more picks is one way and free agency is another. I can see merit in trading back but only if Bosa isn't there and they aren't convinced Allen is the right guy. We really need that edge guy to make an immediate impact. If nothing else it would get the fans excited again.

I like this kind of thinking and discussion. I'm 99% sure Nick Bosa goes to the Cards and Vance Joseph will be blessed once again with two dominant edge rushers in Jones and Bosa. We just miss out again on the best ER in the draft because that's what we do.

Now what. If we had fleeced the Bears, GM's might be a tad hesitant to trade with us. Not now.

Buuuut, is there a #2 even worth trading up for?

I agree also, excellent thinking. If Bosa is gone, and F.O isn't absolutely ," positutely" certain Allen isn't the right guy, then hell yeah, trade down.,,,but not very far. Get some more picks ...good, high picks. Oh, yes and while at it, pray that 3 or 4 QBs at the combine blow the lid off. That'll bring out the crazies...esp if fat with picks.

But we do need to roll the dice and try for the 2 best ERs/DEs in FA. They will be 2nd tier but we need them in case no Bosa. If we get him, even better. Our needs are known by all and no, nobody is afraid of getting fleeced by JL. Turns out Trubs did a lot more for their team than Solomon did for ours. They would love to hear from us. But that's not where we're looking....we are looking at teams picking in top 10, esp top 5.

Would i be hacked off if no Bosa, we took Q? After all our DT picks already? Mmm...would depend just how good he really is. If the one best player in draft, and able with Buck, to just blow up the middle...i could go with that . But Q would have to have a lot of Khalil in him.. iF not, no , not interested.

Allen may be the one, but right now, i don't think so. But JL and kyle plus Mayhew and peters....they have to get it right this yr, esp at #2. Also we better hope we get Solomon positioned properly to produce like the #3 pick in the draft. Man that would help.

Once again our draft will work if we have a great FA. And that means 2 starting LBs (they are there), 1, maybe 2 second tier ERs, a starter OG, CB, or S. If we score at 2 LBs, a pair of 2nd tier ERs, and a CB or S plus an OG, we will have had a sensational FA and will then have an easy , and great Draft. But FA is the key...we gotta just go in and kill it. But paraag better be ready to do what he hasn't done before...come out with big checks. Well Richburg he did good there....but RIchburg was not a great pick. Wouldn't you know.

3rd yr? We're due a great FA and draft. And JL and kyle are overdue also. I'm starting early on saying the beads...
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 10, 2019 at 8:13 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I agree also, excellent thinking. If Bosa is gone, and F.O isn't absolutely ," positutely" certain Allen isn't the right guy, then hell yeah, trade down.,,,but not very far. Get some more picks ...good, high picks. Oh, yes and while at it, pray that 3 or 4 QBs at the combine blow the lid off. That'll bring out the crazies...esp if fat with picks.

But we do need to roll the dice and try for the 2 best ERs/DEs in FA. They will be 2nd tier but we need them in case no Bosa. If we get him, even better. Our needs are known by all and no, nobody is afraid of getting fleeced by JL. Turns out Trubs did a lot more for their team than Solomon did for ours. They would love to hear from us. But that's not where we're looking....we are looking at teams picking in top 10, esp top 5.

Would i be hacked off if no Bosa, we took Q? After all our DT picks already? Mmm...would depend just how good he really is. If the one best player in draft, and able with Buck, to just blow up the middle...i could go with that . But Q would have to have a lot of Khalil in him.. iF not, no , not interested.

Allen may be the one, but right now, i don't think so. But JL and kyle plus Mathew and peters....they have to get it right this yr, esp at #2. Also we better hope we get Solomon positioned properly to produce like the #3 pick in the draft. Man that would help.

Once again our draft will work if we have a great FA. And that means 2 starting LBs (they are there), 1, maybe 2 second tier ERs, a starter OG, CB, or S. If we score at 2 LBs, a pair of 2nd tier ERs, and a CB or S plus an OG, we will have had a sensational FA and will then have an easy , and great Draft. But FA is the key...we gotta just go in and kill it. But paraag better be ready to do what he hasn't done before...come out with big checks. Well Richburg he did good there....but RIchburg was not a great pick. Wouldn't you know.

3rd yr? We're due a great FA and draft. And JL and kyle are overdue also. I'm starting early on saying the beads...

Yup, no doubt, FA sets up your draft. I wish we would have done more of that the past two years so we wouldn't have as many holes today with so few draft picks. But here we are. We need adequate starters AND impact players at impact positions: ERx2, WR, CB, FS (in this scheme) & G (d/t all the great interior rushers now)...you might want to throw in LT there too.

All of those will cost over $10M in FA so don't expect that. Maaaaaybe they push the needle on Earl Thomas but I doubt he's even in play.

Based on a long-standing history, I feel very confident in what the FO will do but I'm always hopeful they decide to targeting those impact players/positions with some urgency.

Yeah, I've got the Jags at #7 pegged for my trade down partner. That would be ideal.
A champ gets it.

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Love the plan. Personally I am not sure I think they'll spend money on the SAM position and Leo. But I would be happy if they did. Also personally I'd like za'darius over flowers. Also, I'd like to give trent taylor another shot in the offseason to compete for his job back, to see if he can comeback from that injury.

Nice...feel free to post your own off season plan; this is the thread for it.

This is my ideal but I'll do a more ShanaLynch kind later.

i am just here to say i read the entire thing.
Originally posted by Crown:

You're the man! (if you are a man). LOL
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

You're the man! (if you are a man). LOL

Damnit you know i am a man! and The Man!
Alright, this is my first draft of the kinds of moves I think ShanaLynch will make based on recent history. Please critique.

The OP was updated with pools of free agents for free agency (that I think this FO will draw from). This is the end result (for now / first draft).

The '49er Way' Free Agency/Draft Retooling Plan:

Notes:
  • Last year, the FO paid out $87.8M which included 6 in-house moves and signing 7 outside free agents. This total included $37M to Jimmy Garoppolo. The FO typically likes to roll over roughly $35M every year. Garoppolo's year-1 contract is obviously an outlier and is only counting $20M this year. Looking at the FO's history here, $50-$60M seems to be their striking distance in free agency with $25-$35M to roll over annually.
  • Jason_OTC covered additional trends and tendencies and that aligns with a perpetual "mid-tier approach to free agency." They will spend money but not always on the best players (bad contracts; contacts on oft-injured risky players; sign too early before proven or older higher paid players for low production) and they certainly won't go all-in for premier players at premium positions. They'll overpay to secure players from cheaper positions (i.e. FB, RB, C or LB vs. ER, WR, T or CB).
  • Another tactic they'll use is paying outrageous $ for 5th year options (Ward & AA) and extend players (Staley) so the grand total of free agency spending looks much bigger than it really is for quality on-field production. They love to sign their own early as well (i.e. Buckner next year).
  • The biggest trend over the Paraag regime is the $10M cutoff. No free agent, outside QB, will make more than their own in-house top paid player and that has always been Joe Staley at around $10M.
  • ShanaLynch were asked what their biggest regret was this year and they both admitted to 1) relying too much Jimmy Garoppolo to mask so many weaknesses and 2) not adding enough competition (e.g. presumed starters didn't feel much pressure to lose their jobs and got complacent)
  • I have a pretty realistic spend of $69.5M plan this year but let's stay in their ballpark of $50-$60M using these FO tendencies and see what we can come up with.

2019 Draft:
1/2 SAM/ER Josh Allen - 6'5" 240; there were very serious discussions on IDL Quinnen Williams and no great trade partners
2/36 RG Garrett Bradbury - 6'3" 300; Unwilling to pay for Mike Person, a large hole opens up here
3/67 CB Amani Oruwariye - 6'1" 204; This is where we take CB's
4/97 TE Albert Okwuegbunam - 6'5" 260; TE2 and another OW
6/162 LT Colton Jackson - 6'5" 298; Outside zone T who even wears #74 and will develop for a year
6/192 P Jake Bailey - 6'2" 203; We opt not to pay Bradley Pinion

Free Agency:
RCB Jason McCourty 31 NE 83.1 #6 CB $12M APY - The FO is tired of being dead last as a coverage unit by a country mile and makes a move, who like Sherman, can help develop the youngsters while giving way to them in a couple years.
LEO Ezekiel Ansah 30 DET 74.5 #N/A ED $11M APY - Was there any doubt with Mayhew/Kucerek on board? We went after him last year as well.
WILL/MIKE Cory Littleton 25 LAR 66.6 #37 LB $7M APY - It's time to lock down a young proven WILL next to Warner for the next 4 years and it's always nice to steal from a rival.
BE Arik Armstead 25 SF 74.8 #28 ED $6M APY - AA is resigned to a 4-year $24M deal; down from $9.5M for 2019 alone on a 5th-year option.
FS Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix 26 WAS 79.3 #17 S $6M APY - Naturally, we couldn't land the top FS on the market but Ha-Ha should get the last laugh and will pair with an expensive Tartt at SS. The good news is we'll be playing with more with 2 safeties back deep with the hiring of Woods and that should strength the unit as it plays more to both strengths.
XWR John Brown 29 BAL 66.1 #70 WR $4M APY - Anyone else want to count on Goodwin? Kyle agrees. Speed is critical to this offense. If both are healthy, look out.
RG Andy Levitre 33 ATL 61.2 #N/A G $3M APY - The FO didn't want to give Person an extra $1M to be a starter so we go with the old veteran and a high draft pick plus stay with Garnett for additional insurance.
ZWR Kevin White 27 CHI 62.0 #N/A WR $2M APY - If anyone can get the most out of him, it's Kyle/JG.
Special Teams - PK Robbie Gould ($3.5M APY); RB Raheem Mostert ($1.8M RFA); WILL Elijah Lee ($645K ERFA) & SAM Mark Nzeocha ($800K APY) - Reward our own.

2018 Cap Spend - $87.8M
2019 Cap Spend - $57.7M
2019 Rookie Pool (7 picks) - $8.5M
2019 Remaining Cap - $47.8M
Cap Rank Post-FA Spendings - 2nd Most (2018 reference)

[Free Agents/Draft/Restructured Player Acquisitions]

Offensive Personnel: --- 24
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; Nick Mullens
RB: Jerick McKinnon; Matt Breida & Raheem Mostert
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle; [Albert Okwuegbunam]
XWR: Dante Pettis; Marquise Goodwin
SWR: Richie James; [John Brown]
ZWR: [Kevin White]; Kendrick Bourne
LT: Joe Staley; [Colton Jackson]
LG: Laken Tomlinson; Joshua Garnett
C: Weston Richburg; Erik Magnuson
RG: [Garrett Bradbury]; [Andy Levitre]
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Shon Coleman

Defensive Personnel: --- 26
BE: [Arik Armstead]; Jullian Taylor & Kentavius Street
1T/3T: D.J. Jones; Sheldon Day
3T/1T: DeForest Buckner; Solomon Thomas
LEO/ER: [Ezekiel Ansah]; Ronald Blair
SAM/ER: [Josh Allen]; [Mark Nzeocha]
MIKE: Fred Warner; Brock Coyle
WILL: [Cory Littleton]; [Elijah Lee]
RCB: [Jason McCourty]; [Amani Oruwariye]
SCB: K'Wuan Williams; D.J. Reed
LCB: Richard Sherman; Ahkello Witherspoon
FS: [Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix]; Adrian Colbert & Tarvarius Moore
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Marcell Harris

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: [Robbie Gould]
P: [Jake Bailey]

KOR: D.J. Reed & Richie James
PR: Dante Pettis; D.J. Reed
GR: [Raheem Mostert] & Tarvarious Moore

Damnit you know i am a man! and The Man!

You get no arguments from me!
Haha clinton-dix is Monica Lewinsky's favorite player
Minds well pin this thread. This regime will have the same problems next year.
How is there a $10mil cutoff and no premium position FAs but your 1st 2 FAs are premium positions that are going to make 10+?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
How is there a $10mil cutoff and no premium position FAs but your 1st 2 FAs are premium positions that are going to make 10+?

It changes this year. They absolutely have to nail down a CB and ER but both are barely over the $10M. Those deals will 'look' like the Sherman deal.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 9, 2019 at 4:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone