LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

2019 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Might add in there that I think we could use a better backup NT/2i. Day is pretty meh. Thomas has been admirable there and has inside/out versatility in run defense, but he will be costing a fair amount of money going into his fourth year.

I see Street and Taylor competing there next year, although I'd love to get another athletic hybrid gap-plugger and penetrator like DJ Jones. Come to think of it, the guy who might actually be able to take over that spot may already be on the roster (practice squad), and his name is Kevin Givens.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 21, 2019 at 12:46 PM ]
It's going to be interesting to see what happens on the DL. Armstead, Blair and Day are all up. Is Armstead going to sign for a lower price to stay with Buck and give a discount to the team that stuck with him? Is Blair going to be a discount buy because he hurt his knee? I thought Day was a great pick up, but Taylor and Street might replace him. It might be the year where they will need some cheaper options, like Givens or Moore.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Jesus christ, it's insane that this team needs to address WR after all the resources that have been allocated into that position group.

4 f**king day-2 draft picks in 3 years on WRs. It's f**king crazy.

It's a hard pill to swallow indeed.
How many years was invested in the DLine and after about - what - 5+ years, we are finally having some DLine success. It might take another year or two, to get that WR stabilized.
Originally posted by synigod:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I know this might be sacrilege but I don't know if Buck is worth 20M APY.

I wouldn't say it sacrilege, I think hes a great player but 20M APY for a DT who isn't giving you Aaron Donald type production is tough pill to swallow. Also we are paying Dee Ford a ton of money. I think I would rather have Buck than Dee ford but only because we have Bosa. Wonder if we could trade ford or lower his cap hit? I think they had an out after the first year of ford's contract.

Buckner's stats:

41 Tackles
5 Sacks
481 Snaps coming into tonight

Donald's Stats:

8 Sacks
35 Tackles
620 Snaps coming into today

I'd say they're pretty damn close in production.
Another TE to pair with Kittle.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
My only response AB is that you HAVE to double Donald for the most part. Opposing offenses haven't necessarily doubled Buckner with regularity against the better opponents in the league.

Up until last year DeFo was getting double teamed, as we had no one else, now we have Dee, Bosa, AA coming on, DJ Jones, etc... LA doesn't have the depth we have IMO.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
It's going to be interesting to see what happens on the DL. Armstead, Blair and Day are all up. Is Armstead going to sign for a lower price to stay with Buck and give a discount to the team that stuck with him? Is Blair going to be a discount buy because he hurt his knee? I thought Day was a great pick up, but Taylor and Street might replace him. It might be the year where they will need some cheaper options, like Givens or Moore.

I'm really interested in how Kentavius plays next year after the knee and that second injury. I hate ACL injuries - specially to edge rushers who need that speed and flexibility and put heavy stress on that knee. So to me Blair's injury requires some draft and/or cap resources to bolster that Edge rusher position. I like Day, and Taylor - I think both players can man the NT position that leaves Armstead. I'm betting Armstead is going to cash in and get paid next year - and I think you have to game plan for that, even though he might take a discount to stay - so that at least you have the information to acquire Armstead's substitute if negotiations fail or if he signs but he's injured.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:

I'm really interested in how Kentavius plays next year after the knee and that second injury. I hate ACL injuries - specially to edge rushers who need that speed and flexibility and put heavy stress on that knee. So to me Blair's injury requires some draft and/or cap resources to bolster that Edge rusher position. I like Day, and Taylor - I think both players can man the NT position that leaves Armstead. I'm betting Armstead is going to cash in and get paid next year - and I think you have to game plan for that, even though he might take a discount to stay - so that at least you have the information to acquire Armstead's substitute if negotiations fail or if he signs but he's injured.

I'm not sure Street is an edge rusher though, when Blair tore his ACL, Kyle was asked about Street, he said he's more of an inside guy than a edge guy. Plus isn't Street like 300lbs now? Seems like the perfect candidate to replace Sheldon Day in 2020 IMO. Or Kevin Givens, if he lasts on the PSquad.
Happy gobble gobble jive turkey day NinerTalk --- thanks to webbie and the mods and all the great contributors in here that make this place special! Have a terrific time with your families and get some zzzzz's after that tryptophan kicks in.

10-1 / safe to say we've got a lot to be thankful for
Happy gobble gobble jive turkey day NinerTalk --- thanks to webbie and the mods and all the great contributors in here that make this place special! Have a terrific time with your families and get some zzzzz's after that tryptophan kicks in.

Great post! Happy Thanksgiving to all of us including this awesome 10-1 football team we have right now! Go 49ers!

Originally posted by tohara3:

Great post! Happy Thanksgiving to all of us including this awesome 10-1 football team we have right now! Go 49ers!

Love all you guys/ladies...homers to haters! Stay Faithful.

My priorities in order:
E.Sanders (get 'er done)
A.Armstead (franchise tag if needed)
K.Juszczyk (pick up option)
D.Moore (can never have too many pass rushers)
R.Blair (injury contract)
J.Ward (T.Moore is ready; sign for open competition)
S.Coleman (might be better than Skule)
L.Toilolo (underutilized bad ass blocker)
J.Verrett (feeler)

------------------------------

Let Walk:
S.Day
G.Celek
B.Garland

The rest are R/EFA's and probably keeping every one of them too.

Look to extend D.Buckner and G.Kittle; start building out the framework now.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 2, 2019 at 4:45 PM ]
  • Kyzen

My priorities in order:
E.Sanders (get 'er done)
J.Verrett (feeler)

Let Walk:
S.Day
G.Celek
B.Garland

No thank you to Verrett. We can just trade down from #32 and pick up a couple extra draft picks.
Originally posted by Kyzen:

My priorities in order:
E.Sanders (get 'er done)
J.Verrett (feeler)

Let Walk:
S.Day
G.Celek
B.Garland

No thank you to Verrett. We can just trade down from #32 and pick up a couple extra draft picks.

Agreed. We are in great shape with a young roster with a ton of experience due to the 1st 2 injury plagued seasons we had. Go 49ers
Originally posted by Kyzen:

Perfect time to lock up veteran depth behind Moseley and Witherspoon. You can never have too many cover corners. He'd be cheap too and knows his role.

But I wouldn't lose any sleep over letting him walk too. LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 2, 2019 at 6:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone