Pass Rusher
CB
LBs
Safteys

Man we need a lot.

No OL.

s**t I forgot that

LOL!
Great post lots of info. Thanks. THL level post right there.

As far as the plan goes, I don't think Burns is going to work out his rookie year. Too small too young. Why not stay at 2 if Bosa is there? That's a plan I like.

MArcell harris? That's not a a plan that's a prayer.

We just need to spend at FA -- one of Joyner/ thomas /gilchrist /adams/ dix.+ thomas? SOme are pretty cheap.

DE -- irvin/ Clark /anderson in addition to flowers.

Now, we take BPA at #2, if bosa not there.
We all tend to concentrate on individual players or positions but what this team needs more than anything is continuity and unity. Look at the Patriots. They don't have a lot of individual stars but they have a core of head coach, top assistants and QB that have been there forever. Same goes for the Steelers to some extent. Same head coach and QB for years. Keeping the core together goes a long way toward building a real team and not just a bunch of individual players all looking for the next contract. When I watch the Warriors play I marvel at how well a group of stars play together instead of all looking for headlines. Football is even more of a team sport so it's even more important to have that cohesion.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

As far as the plan goes, I don't think Burns is going to work out his rookie year. Too small too young. Why not stay at 2 if Bosa is there? That's a plan I like.

We just need to spend at FA -- one of Joyner/ thomas /gilchrist /adams/ dix.+ thomas? SOme are pretty cheap.

Thanks brother! That's a high compliment.

Oh heck yeah...if Bosa is there at #2 that's a no brainer. Who do you have at #2 if/when Bosa isn't there?

Burns checked in at 245 recently and may be more at the combine. But I hear you... he'd be in on nickel (60-70%) to start like Aldon.

I share your concerns about Tartt and Harris too. Harris had a couple splash plays but was rated as one of the worst S's. Tartt can't ever play 16 games.

I have Preston Smith as our SAM (one of the best ER's last year) to pair with Flowers and Burns. I'm all about adding as many good ER's as possible...see your list there.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
We all tend to concentrate on individual players or positions but what this team needs more than anything is continuity and unity. Look at the Patriots. They don't have a lot of individual stars but they have a core of head coach, top assistants and QB that have been there forever. Same goes for the Steelers to some extent. Same head coach and QB for years. Keeping the core together goes a long way toward building a real team and not just a bunch of individual players all looking for the next contract. When I watch the Warriors play I marvel at how well a group of stars play together instead of all looking for headlines. Football is even more of a team sport so it's even more important to have that cohesion.

That's a really good point! For this reason, outside the interior OL (pass protection only), I'm not too worried about the offense and production. I know Kyle will develop the hell out of that side of the line no matter the talent level on that side of the ball. And continuity will only help. I would not be surprised to see a big jump in production from Pettis like with Kittle in year 2.

Defense though...run defense will continue to be a staple with continuity.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Thanks brother! That's a high compliment.

Oh heck yeah...if Bosa is there at #2 that's a no brainer. Who do you have at #2 if/when Bosa isn't there?

Burns checked in at 245 recently and may be more at the combine. But I hear you... he'd be in on nickel (60-70%) to start like Aldon.

I share your concerns about Tartt and Harris too. Harris had a couple splash plays but was rated as one of the worst S's. Tartt can't ever play 16 games.

I have Preston Smith as our SAM (one of the best ER's last year) to pair with Flowers and Burns. I'm all about adding as many good ER's as possible...see your list there.
Problem with burns is -- he's 20. 21 in April. Just too young. Needs 2 years training and conditioning and maturing to reach pro level. We've been screwed like that before(see marcus martin, lemon head), just can't fall for it again.

We need to draft a red shirt that's been training an extra year without wear and tear on the body. That works for pro football.

You just have to assume that we have no starters at safety on the roster now. SO we buy our way out. I think we can get 2 good people for 5M each. Maybe talk Earl into a lower deal based on age and injury.

If we get a couple good -- not great -- vets, and ring the bell with Bosa -- NOW we are a different defense. Still with problems, but we're not historically bad at takeaways, and getting bombed out of games in 30 minutes.

PLus when saleh tells the safeties to line up 7 yards deep in the endzone on a goalline play the vets be like:
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 3, 2019 at 10:08 AM ]

That's a really good point! For this reason, outside the interior OL (pass protection only), I'm not too worried about the offense and production. I know Kyle will develop the hell out of that side of the line no matter the talent level on that side of the ball. And continuity will only help. I would not be surprised to see a big jump in production from Pettis like with Kittle in year 2.

Defense though...run defense will continue to be a staple with continuity.

Yep, and this is exactly why Kyle didn't get rid of Saleh and honestly...unless this team goes 6-10 or worse this next season... EVERYONE will remain.

Got to do everything possible to KEEP continuity throughout the organization. Jed did the whole yearly turnover thing before and it was a complete fail.

BTW - I fully expect this team to be extremely aggressive this off-season and at least go 8-8 this coming season.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
But but but.... Garnett can run blockz and he fitz the sistem!!!!

LOL...dude fits a power scheme like Brown, if anything.

That's my point. He doesn't fit the system, and yet, he is STILL on the team. Hell, does Armstead fits Saleh's defensive scheme?
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Feb 3, 2019 at 10:16 AM ]

But but but.... Garnett can run blockz and he fitz the sistem!!!!

LOL...dude fits a power scheme like Brown, if anything.

That's my point. He doesn't fit the system, and yet, he is STILL on the team. Hell, does Armstead fits Saleh's defensive scheme?

Well yeah, he lost 10 pounds after being on I.R. for a full year = keeper.

Armstead? For Saleh's vision of a Big End, he's ideal and likens him to his Red Bryant. For what us fans want from a BE? Not so much...
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 3, 2019 at 10:33 AM ]
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Yep, and this is exactly why Kyle didn't get rid of Saleh and honestly...unless this team goes 6-10 or worse this next season... EVERYONE will remain.

Got to do everything possible to KEEP continuity throughout the organization. Jed did the whole yearly turnover thing before and it was a complete fail.

BTW - I fully expect this team to be extremely aggressive this off-season and at least go 8-8 this coming season.

Yeah, I'm all for continuity esp. when it's a sound and proven system like the WCO with a mastermind evolving it and playcalling.

Cover 3? Not so much...too many holes poked in it and it's, by design, not the most flexible scheme esp. for coverage. I would have preferred a better scheme like Fangio's that's most adaptive to today's passing game.

But if you're going to keep an inexperienced Saleh, I don't mind them bringing in a veteran DL coach to help assess the front 7 better for best personnel choices and especially, Woods, who should help expand upon the coverage units diversity to Saleh's cover 3 philosophy...and help coach up the players and hopefully, develop somebody.

Development, despite continuity in scheme, has been poor on the defensive side. Fundamentals need serious work too. You've got to be in the right defensive calls and position to generate turnovers. The lack of experience from Saleh certainly lead to that historic record being shattered.
I know there is a need at guard but to say they keep ignoring that position is not true. The guys they did bring in haven't worked out but they have had to address a lot of other positions so guard has not been their priority. Don't forget it takes some time to develop talent and they have only been there for 2 years. Unless there is a rare talent you don't usually use a first rounder on a guard.

They haven't worked out because they suck. Hence, they haven't tried to really fix the G position. And yes, it does time to develop talent but you also have to see the talent improve over time, which we haven't seen yet.
Let's see, NC... development poor, experience poor, needs help in choosing talent, needs help with DB coaching, needs help with DL...hmmm....
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Let's see, NC... development poor, experience poor, needs help in choosing talent, needs help with DB coaching, needs help with DL...hmmm....

Yeah, the defense is still a big concern. I'm not really in that, "lets just add a few more good players and we'll be fine" camp. My concerns about fundamentals, scheme-wise, putting players in position to make plays (esp. takeaways), player development, player personnel choices, etc. Saleh seems too overwhelmed to be focused on the nuances of building up a defense from the floor up. And if he's trying to evolve his cover 3 in the process, he's going to have even less bandwidth. Solution? Hire Kocerek and Woods? Let a new DL coach evaluate the front 7 and decide who plays where? Let a new DB coach come in and help Saleh build on his own cover 3 philosophy? Expand the coverages? Call me skeptical but that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Then again, it could work out beautifully too. Who knows. But I certainly don't feel warm-and-fuzzy going into next year with this approach. Hopefully it works out great.

Offense? Given we haven't drafted any interior OL in 2 years to develop and there isn't jack on the FA front, I've got concerns...again...on the interior. Richburg's knee and hammy sound like something that could become chronic. Tomlinson tore his MCL. Person is 31 and will probably test FA like Fusco last year. All we have for depth is fat-boy, oft-injured Garnett and high-snapper Erik Magnuson. The best RG on the market just resigned with the Colts. And some guy named Jimmy Garoppolo is coming back from an ACL he tore scrambling for his life. I'm very curious to see how they plan to fix this smoking hot mess.

Hopefully everybody heals perfectly and it's not an issue...Richburg gets fully back to form. Person at least resigns and we draft a top RG. I'm just not counting on it...we've been here before.

Kyle seems to have a blind spot for slightly-built WR's (like he used to be). Kyle is crazy smart though...he will adapt and change. He's humble that way. What is he looking for now for a ZWR? Outside of that and the yardage lost on OZ plays, I have zero concerns about offense. Kyle will get the absolute most out of that unit, no matter the talent level.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 4, 2019 at 3:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone