LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Deebo Samuel-WR-South Carolina

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
by NT logic, all our WRs will have 1000 yards. making Jimmy G the world record holder in yards thrown. can't wait!

Here's my "logic"

Pettis: 1000 yds
Kittle: 850 yds
Samuel: 650 yds
Goodwin: 450 yds
Others: 1450 yds

I think Deebo outshines all of our WRs. Dude is polished and runs all the routes required by this offense better than any receiver we have on our roster. He is also the best after the catch from day 1 compared to any receiver we have on our roster.

Deebo: 1100
Kittle: 940
Pettis: 900
Coleman: 500
Goodwin: 500
Others: 450

Doesn't add up... Jimmy G will be passing 5000+ yards this season

This is great! Crushing the offseason!!
Originally posted by jonnydel:
While I'll agree to that, I think your X does have to be a special guy. They have a tough job in press-man situations. They can't shift or motion and they're on the LOS. So, CB's can get right up on them, close the space and challenge them at the LOS. That's a tough job for even the best WR's. I think we forget how good NFL CB's are, mainly cause we haven't seen really good ones on our roster, fully healthy, in a long time.

As one NFL scout put it, "they're usually the best athlete on the field. These were the guys who, whenever you would play tag on the playground, always won."

Imagine trying to run away from that guy who always won at tag when he's pressed up right on you from the beginning and you can't move before the snap. That's a tough job. It takes special WR's to beat those guys on the regular.

oh no doubt...I think Pettis and Deebo have shown they can handle that position, even Goodwin. Hurd imo is best as a big slot, but he's a wild card.

I also think while DBs are usually the best athletes on the field, it's hard to find really good ones (as you stated look at ours )
While I'll agree to that, I think your X does have to be a special guy. They have a tough job in press-man situations. They can't shift or motion and they're on the LOS. So, CB's can get right up on them, close the space and challenge them at the LOS. That's a tough job for even the best WR's. I think we forget how good NFL CB's are, mainly cause we haven't seen really good ones on our roster, fully healthy, in a long time.

As one NFL scout put it, "they're usually the best athlete on the field. These were the guys who, whenever you would play tag on the playground, always won."

Imagine trying to run away from that guy who always won at tag when he's pressed up right on you from the beginning and you can't move before the snap. That's a tough job. It takes special WR's to beat those guys on the regular.

How many of those corners weigh nearly 220lbs and are built like a RB? Deebo would flourish in that role.
Originally posted by Travis49erfan:

How many of those corners weigh nearly 220lbs and are built like a RB? Deebo would flourish in that role.

Yet, his biggest critique coming out was that he struggles against press and bump and run coverage.

I love deebo, don't get me wrong, I think he's a prototypical Z receiver. Everything about him screams Z.

I just don't see him as an X. That's kind of my whole point in this, that while we can say Kyle isn't big into roles - for some guys, yeah, but you really do need a good X receiver and then he very much went for the proto Z in Deebo.
Yet, his biggest critique coming out was that he struggles against press and bump and run coverage.

I love deebo, don't get me wrong, I think he's a prototypical Z receiver. Everything about him screams Z.

I just don't see him as an X. That's kind of my whole point in this, that while we can say Kyle isn't big into roles - for some guys, yeah, but you really do need a good X receiver and then he very much went for the proto Z in Deebo.

Ledyard:
Releases - Rarely hung up against press coverage and consistently gets off the line of scrimmage clean. Could stand to vary his releases more and add some more deception, but shows terrific quickness and foot speed to force corners to open before they can land their hands. Won't chew up off coverage or threaten corners with great speed off the snap.

Kelly:
Route Running - Samuel generally aligned to the left side of the offensive formation, with most of his other reps coming in the slot. Samuel is nearly untouchable against press coverage, as his short-area quickness and upper body strength allow him to avoid jams. Samuel consistently re-sets the line of scrimmage, getting into the frame of the defensive back before slipping by them. Holds his vertical line with his stout build. Defeats press coverage to the inside or outside. Samuel has explosive route breaks, with the ability to accelerate through them. Samuel's vertical cuts are seamless, as he'll create separation in a blur. Works into the curl window with ease, finding open space immediately after his breaks.

Samuel is nearly unguardable in the red zone, as his lateral quickness allows him to win across the face of defensive backs. Can by physical at the top of the route when he's crowded, with violent and strong chops. Conscious effort to use his upper body to discard of the jam from defensive backs. Effortlessly threatens leverage in his stems, with lightning quick jab steps.

Crabbs:
Route Running –Effective and impressive at the line of scrimmage in efforts to create space and defeat press. Quick to climb the route stem and plays with shiftiness prior to his breaks. Does well to sell a false break before gearing down and driving out of his cut.

Marino:
Routes - Smooth and polished route runner. Is a true route salesman that does well to sell his breaks and establish leverage. Knows how to manipulate corners immediately at the snap and separate. Good quickness in and out of his breaks. Nuanced and alters his tempo effectively. Savvy to find space against zone. Sudden ability to change directions.

Release - Smooth out of his stance and knows how to reduce his surface area and deploy a variety of jab steps, footwork and body fakes to beat press coverage. Has enough speed but isn't overly explosive to truly stress corners to turn and run with them. Separates rapidly in quick game.

Here are 4 draft experts who all say one of his strengths is against press man coverage. Not sure where you heard otherwise.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/deebo-samuel
This is a great listen...dude is a dog and will play anywhere to help his team win.

I very much agree with this.

Ledyard:
Releases - Rarely hung up against press coverage and consistently gets off the line of scrimmage clean. Could stand to vary his releases more and add some more deception, but shows terrific quickness and foot speed to force corners to open before they can land their hands. Won't chew up off coverage or threaten corners with great speed off the snap.

Kelly:
Route Running - Samuel generally aligned to the left side of the offensive formation, with most of his other reps coming in the slot. Samuel is nearly untouchable against press coverage, as his short-area quickness and upper body strength allow him to avoid jams. Samuel consistently re-sets the line of scrimmage, getting into the frame of the defensive back before slipping by them. Holds his vertical line with his stout build. Defeats press coverage to the inside or outside. Samuel has explosive route breaks, with the ability to accelerate through them. Samuel's vertical cuts are seamless, as he'll create separation in a blur. Works into the curl window with ease, finding open space immediately after his breaks.

Samuel is nearly unguardable in the red zone, as his lateral quickness allows him to win across the face of defensive backs. Can by physical at the top of the route when he's crowded, with violent and strong chops. Conscious effort to use his upper body to discard of the jam from defensive backs. Effortlessly threatens leverage in his stems, with lightning quick jab steps.

Crabbs:
Route Running –Effective and impressive at the line of scrimmage in efforts to create space and defeat press. Quick to climb the route stem and plays with shiftiness prior to his breaks. Does well to sell a false break before gearing down and driving out of his cut.

Marino:
Routes - Smooth and polished route runner. Is a true route salesman that does well to sell his breaks and establish leverage. Knows how to manipulate corners immediately at the snap and separate. Good quickness in and out of his breaks. Nuanced and alters his tempo effectively. Savvy to find space against zone. Sudden ability to change directions.

Release - Smooth out of his stance and knows how to reduce his surface area and deploy a variety of jab steps, footwork and body fakes to beat press coverage. Has enough speed but isn't overly explosive to truly stress corners to turn and run with them. Separates rapidly in quick game.

Here are 4 draft experts who all say one of his strengths is against press man coverage. Not sure where you heard otherwise.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/deebo-samuel
I saw it one someone, cant remember who's, draft analysis and then I thought 2 of the guys on NFL network said it too. So, I'd seen it from 3 different spots
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is a great listen...dude is a dog and will play anywhere to help his team win.

wow you actually care about other players not named pettis?

That was more AJ Brown than Deebo. Brown, despite his size, had some issues with press coverage. Deebo, not as much.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by NCommand:

wow you actually care about other players not named pettis?

He cares about players who like Cats and not Dogs, hence Pettis and Deebo fascination by NC. LOL jk bro. You know I love ya NC.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I need some Deebo.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I need some Deebo.

Originally posted by John_Candy:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I need some Deebo.

You got AJB on there?
Dude gonna be unstoppable with Kyle the schemer.
Share 49ersWebzone