LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Joe Woods as Passing Game Coordinator (Browns DC)

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Should this hire fortify the scheme or execution of the scheme?
Hopefully execution of the scheme in terms of individual player technique. I don't see a time period on Wood's resume where he was exposed to this current 49er scheme.

Could we take this as a sign Kyle wants to expand the types of coverages in the back end?

No idea, but it's possible. It's one thing to call different coverages but there are nuances to each type of coverage that perhaps Saleh simply doesn't have experience with to oversee the implementation of. Just as an example, Saleh is well versed with Cover3 and Cover1 since that's what they played a lot of in SEA/JAC. What's his experience teaching Quarters or Cover 6, or other two deep safety coverages? Does he know enough to point out the finer details of what's being done incorrectly, or how it can be done better?

From 2007 to 2013, Woods was coaching under Leslie Frazier in MIN (Frazier was either DC or HC). Frazier is a disciple of Monte Kiffen (and Lovie Smith) who is all about that Cover 2. We'll have to wait and see is all that means anything.

I believe so with this! Sounds like Saleh is still the play caller but we might have our Ken Norton Jr. for the back end of the defense. Interesting.

This dude let Mullens go off for 332 on 33/20 passing.
  • thl408

I'mma go ahead and guess that DeMarcus Ware, Von and Chubb played a good role in that.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Should this hire fortify the scheme or execution of the scheme?
Hopefully execution of the scheme in terms of individual player technique. I don't see a time period on Wood's resume where he was exposed to this current 49er scheme.

Could we take this as a sign Kyle wants to expand the types of coverages in the back end?

No idea, but it's possible. It's one thing to call different coverages but there are nuances to each type of coverage that perhaps Saleh simply doesn't have experience with to oversee the implementation of. Just as an example, Saleh is well versed with Cover3 and Cover1 since that's what they played a lot of in SEA/JAC. What's his experience teaching Quarters or Cover 6, or other two deep safety coverages? Does he know enough to point out the finer details of what's being done incorrectly, or how it can be done better?

From 2007 to 2013, Woods was coaching under Leslie Frazier in MIN (Frazier was either DC or HC). Frazier is a disciple of Monte Kiffen (and Lovie Smith) who is all about that Cover 2. We'll have to wait and see is all that means anything.

I believe so with this! Sounds like Saleh is still the play caller but we might have our Ken Norton Jr. for the back end of the defense. Interesting.

With the sophistication of the game today, it is impossible to think that any one person will have the expertise to teach all the nuances of individual position play. In addition to the time factor, that is why there are specific position coaches.

Clearly, Hafley was not bringing the young DBs up to standard, so he is gone. I'm sure Sherman helped but he was not in position to see all a DB coach could see. Woods seems like the guy to fill that gap.

There is a difference between a tactician and a technician. The first has a satellite view of the field as a whole while the other has the microscopic view, seeing all the tiny details. Both are needed.

I'mma go ahead and guess that DeMarcus Ware, Von and Chubb played a good role in that.

You know, you might be going out a little too far on that limb.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran

Don't forget Talib and Harris on the backend. You need good man corners to play that Wade Phillips high pressure, high blitz scheme.
I hope him and Saleh mesh well. If we at least have an average to above average defense, we can succeed with Kyle and a healthy jimmy.

"Passionate about the fundamentals"

Dont forget talib
Originally posted by LVJay:
Joe Woods is a done deal.... #Playoffs #BookIt

you're never going to hear about him or see him when the regular season starts anyway. wont make a difference
When Saleh sucks, Woods can take over play calling duties. I see what you did there, Shanny.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Jan 18, 2019 at 7:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

"Passionate about the fundamentals"

LOL...well captured.
They might as well get it over with. Just name Woods the DC and move Saleh to LBs.
If not, then make sure to ask Woods, not Saleh, for draft input. IMO if FO drafts an LB or DB first, they'd be drafting based on their blueprint needs, which might mean that Saleh still has a few lives left as DC.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jan 18, 2019 at 2:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone