LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Joe Woods as Passing Game Coordinator (Browns DC)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Jed should give him a raise and title of co-defensive coordinator

Saleh is looking for a head coach job next season, why would he want to have someone co-ordinating the defense with him. Also, woods is now his subordinate, promote Woods to co-d coordinator would create a weird working environment for both Saleh and Woods. It can be seen as a demotion for Saleh. What if there is a disagreement between them?

This is the same as co-CEO of a company, or co-head coach for a football team, or co-president of a company. It can create lots of more problems. It is not worth it.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Jan 23, 2020 at 2:21 PM ]
I bet Kyle is trying to convince him to stay by telling him that when Saleh gets a HC job, he will promise the DC job here to Joe.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
I bet Kyle is trying to convince him to stay by telling him that when Saleh gets a HC job, he will promise the DC job here to Joe.

Heckuva bargaining chip. Particularly if we win this game AND the defense does indeed slow down the Chiefs offense. If that happens, Saleh will get a head coaching gig for the 2021 season. I do wonder who Saleh had in mind as his defensive coordinator if he got the Cleveland job (thank goodness he didn't, for his sake).
Browns hasn't hired a DC. I think at this point it is very unlikely Woods will be back next season.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Browns hasn't hired a DC. I think at this point it is very unlikely Woods will be back next season.

They haven't hired an OC either They could snag two guys off our staff.
That is what worries me. Vikings guy needs to build his own coaching tree and stop trying to build 49ers East. Leave us alone. I wanted Woods as D Coordinator after Saleh leaves. To me it is no coincidence that our D got MUCH better after he and Kocurek came on staff.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Last I heard we were making a push to retain him.
Hmmm...from Cleveland's paper, they announced their new OC, and make it sound like Wood's is a near done deal.

"Van Pelt, 49, completes a coordinator trio that includes Mike Priefer on special teams and likely 49ers defensive backs coach Joe Woods as soon as he finishes the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Woods told cleveland.com and another member of the Browns media on Wednesday that he's hoping to be reunited with Stefanski, his former eight-year Vikings colleague, and excited about the opportunity,"

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/kevin-stefanski-hiring-alex-van-pelt-as-browns-offensive-coordinator.html
Originally posted by Ninersrisin:
That is what worries me. Vikings guy needs to build his own coaching tree and stop trying to build 49ers East. Leave us alone. I wanted Woods as D Coordinator after Saleh leaves. To me it is no coincidence that our D got MUCH better after he and Kocurek came on staff.

Nice they grabbed some other dude as their OC
Sucks we gonna lose Woods..
Really wanted to keep this staff together for at least one more year.
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Jan 29, 2020 at 6:43 PM ]

Originally posted by Jeepzilla:

It does, I'd look to bring in Richards but I'm happier no one grabbed our offensive guys. McDaniels & LaFleur are studs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:

It does, I'd look to bring in Richards but I'm happier no one grabbed our offensive guys. McDaniels & LaFleur are studs.

Woods is a big loss, but I'm glad we didn't lose Kocurek. It will be real interesting who we get as DB coach. Given our dominant DLine, I'd go with a coach that does more man to man vs zone defense.

Won't Stefanski be the OC, like Shanny is here?
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/133870-49ers-making-late-push-keep-assistant-woods-report/

Hey Joe Woods, the grass isn't always greener.

The grass is browner
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Won't Stefanski be the OC, like Shanny is here?

Share 49ersWebzone