LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Joe Woods as Passing Game Coordinator (Browns DC)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Whatever helps us not give up a td on the first play after having a week to prepare.

Saleh is on notice, as it should be.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
This hire may be the biggest addition to the team. I have little faith in Saleh and hope that Woods can play players at the best position that takes advantage of their more natural skills.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Saleh is on notice, as it should be.

Joe Woods wasn't exactly rocking a good defense last yr. turnover diff was a huge problem with this team last yr
This was a very big, underrated hire IMO. Joe Woods is one of the best DB coaches in the game and has two solid years of DC experience. He will not only help our DB's become better but I think he will be a valuable asset to Saleh. If the D struggles early this season, I wouldn't rule out Woods becoming our DC. I hope that does not happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Originally posted by GORO:
This hire may be the biggest addition to the team. I have little faith in Saleh and hope that Woods can play players at the best position that takes advantage of their more natural skills.

💯💯💯💯
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
This was a very big, underrated hire IMO. Joe Woods is one of the best DB coaches in the game and has two solid years of DC experience. He will not only help our DB's become better but I think he will be a valuable asset to Saleh. If the D struggles early this season, I wouldn't rule out Woods becoming our DC. I hope that does not happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Well, Stubby, at least now if we come out on D upside down, Kyle has IN PLACE, a pair of guys who could step in. That is a step in the right direction and is pure kyle/KS...hedging their bets, taking care of two positions that just stunk as asst coaches, and replacing them with too very good guys, either of which could be THE guy if this new D arrangement doesn't work.

I would have liked it better if either kocurek or Woods made the playcalls but am fine waiting to see how this turns out. I am hoping for it to work just fine. So we'll see.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 9, 2019 at 4:30 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Well, Stubby, at least now if we come out on D upside down, Kyle has IN PLACE, a pair of guys who could step in. That is a step in the right direction and is pure kyle/KS...hedging their bets, taking care of two positions that just stunk as asst coaches, and replacing them with too very good guys, either of which could be THE guy if this new D arrangement doesn't work.

I would have liked it better if either kocurek or Woods made the playcalls but am fine waiting to see how this turns out. I am hoping for it to work just fine. So we'll see.

Agree

Good posts guys!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think between Kocurek and Woods, I'd choose Woods as the DC (assuming Saleh is hypothetically fired). With Bosa, I"m sure he won't be, but the reason I think Joe Woods would be better than Kocureck would be *maybe* he wouldn't be such a big advocate of the wide 9 alignment. Just Kidding.

But really, I think the main reason is that it's a passing league, and you need to have a guy with a back ground on passing defenses if you want to have a good pass defense. I think Woods fits that better than Kocurek. Kocureck is more about defending the run and rushing the passer vs coverages and pass defense.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I can't wait to see the same old DBs do better...not same old s**t. If it shows on game day, then we can mostly just thank Woods.

^^ both above posts are spot on. And both kind of spotlite woods, which is also spot on. No flies on K, but still as noted above, it's a passing league now.
Originally posted by LVJay:
I can't wait to see the same old DBs do better...not same old s**t. If it shows on game day, then we can mostly just thank Woods.

So far he's been heaven sent. Not only moving all the players to their natural positions but acclimating them to the system and adding varied coverages.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
^^ both above posts are spot on. And both kind of spotlite woods, which is also spot on. No flies on K, but still as noted above, it's a passing league now.

Originally posted by NCommand:
So far he's been heaven sent. Not only moving all the players to their natural positions but acclimating them to the system and adding varied coverages.

We don't want to get too ahead of ourselves, but Woods and Kocurek are making this pass defense look good, albeit we haven't played a regular season game yet. Still, the vibes from all the players and media extending to the fans.

They look pretty scary and we haven't even had all the starters out there yet
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think between Kocurek and Woods, I'd choose Woods as the DC (assuming Saleh is hypothetically fired). With Bosa, I"m sure he won't be, but the reason I think Joe Woods would be better than Kocureck would be *maybe* he wouldn't be such a big advocate of the wide 9 alignment. Just Kidding.

But really, I think the main reason is that it's a passing league, and you need to have a guy with a back ground on passing defenses if you want to have a good pass defense. I think Woods fits that better than Kocurek. Kocureck is more about defending the run and rushing the passer vs coverages and pass defense.

Having been in Denver those past two years of Woods being the DC... he is in way over his head in that position. He knows how to put players in good positions but lacks the creativity and decisiveness to change that approach when offenses key in on it. It works as a position coach because you identify and put the players in your group at their best position like Moore.

But when actually calling defenses you cant just go with the same thing over and over again. Talib and Harris were great at man coverage, but if you call man coverage every single time the offense will adjust and exploit, which is what happened. Vance Joseph even took over some DC play calls from Woods because of it. But there is a reason he got the promotion to DC in the first place and thats because he is a great DB coach, just don't expect much more beyond that if the opportunity to replace Saleh arises.
You guys know more about Woods than me. It sounds like he's a great DB coach, but from what saw in Denver, he seemed like a s**t DC.

I already like him for the fact that he moved Reed and Moore back to their natural positions.
Share 49ersWebzone