LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Niners hire Kris Kocurek as DL coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Kyle has said that he likes the way Kocurek has his DLmen play from past experiences of playing against him. Kocurek has worked closely with Jim Schwartz in the past and the two have been proponents of the wide 9 technique.

The 49ers (many teams) already do this in obvious passing downs, but with Kocurek being a disciple of Schwartz, perhaps the teachings he can bring to this style of play is the gain in this hire. We'll see if it's used on non-obvious passing situations.
Marsh and Elvis at wide 9 (passing down)

Old article with Kocurek snippet:
https://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/12/detroit_lions_wide_9_scheme_do.html
"It's all about just setting a strong edge, and that's what we want to do," he said. "If you look at the history of the Wide 9, there's been some really good run defenses played. It's not like we're just lining up out there and leveraging the ball to the sideline. We're turning the ball back inside, and that's just the whole concept behind the defense - just set a strong edge with the Wide 9."

I've seen a bunch of posts about wide splits for edge players and was about say that the team already does this lol.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by LVJay:
I hope he's a guru of DL coaches. If he doesn't think much of Solly and/or AA, I hope Lynch has the balls to part ways asap.

Same.

Agreed
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kyle has said that he likes the way Kocurek has his DLmen play from past experiences of playing against him. Kocurek has worked closely with Jim Schwartz in the past and the two have been proponents of the wide 9 technique.

The 49ers (many teams) already do this in obvious passing downs, but with Kocurek being a disciple of Schwartz, perhaps the teachings he can bring to this style of play is the gain in this hire. We'll see if it's used on non-obvious passing situations.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/12/detroit_lions_wide_9_scheme_do.html
"It's all about just setting a strong edge, and that's what we want to do," he said. "If you look at the history of the Wide 9, there's been some really good run defenses played. It's not like we're just lining up out there and leveraging the ball to the sideline. We're turning the ball back inside, and that's just the whole concept behind the defense - just set a strong edge with the Wide 9."

I've seen a bunch of posts about wide splits for edge players and was about say that the team already does this lol.

Allen is making more sense at 2
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I would imagine size might factor in? Who in the draft would be smaller burners...slippery in space...quick/fast closing speed, etc.

I keep thinking players like Burns and Polite?
Dylan DeSimone on a podcast yesterday was saying he expects Thomas to be an every down interior DL as DC's can't predict when teams pass on any down and most teams now pass on first downs anyway. No longer is it run (base)-run (base)-pass (nickel).

If Saleh's big base personnel packages shift focus to more pass rushers, we could see smaller faster quicker lineups and a shift in personnel targets in the draft and FA.

I'm not sure if that will actually happen though.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 13, 2019 at 7:08 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

I would imagine size might factor in? Who in the draft would be smaller burners...slippery in space...quick/fast closing speed, etc.

I really want us to trade back and grab burns, call me crazy but i don't see any difference between him and Allen when it comes to explosiveness, although Allen can play sam as well, we need a true pass rusher (and a developed one) in the draft. I also think Burns uses his hands a lot better and has shown multiple different pass rush moves on tape. I know burns isn't the MOST developed pass rusher in the draft, but he's definitely up there, dude just seems special.
Originally posted by 49erJay:

I really want us to trade back and grab burns, call me crazy but i don't see any difference between him and Allen when it comes to explosiveness, although Allen can play sam as well, we need a true pass rusher (and a developed one) in the draft. I also think Burns uses his hands a lot better and has shown multiple different pass rush moves on tape. I know burns isn't the MOST developed pass rusher in the draft, but he's definitely up there, dude just seems special.

Agreed.
Am I the only one that is more interested to see what he can do for our Dline than Saleh for our whole defense? Not like saleh did anything but you know.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Mar 13, 2019 at 2:38 AM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I think Saleh wants to stop the run first so Armstead and Solomon at end is his preference. And now with Dee Ford on sure passing downs is how I expect it to play out. Hoping Nick Bosa is the pick and He starts at one end and forces Solomon Thomas inside more.
Originally posted by GORO:
I think Saleh wants to stop the run first so Armstead and Solomon at end is his preference. And now with Dee Ford on sure passing downs is how I expect it to play out. Hoping Nick Bosa is the pick and He starts at one end and forces Solomon Thomas inside more.

This. To hell with saving face, but we have a guy for up to three more years on a cheap rookie contract we might as well maximize what we can get out of him. Word is he's vastly more effective lined up inside, let's exploit that. Draft another edge defender and let ST prove himself at his natural position inside

Dylan DeSimone on a podcast yesterday was saying he expects Thomas to be an every down interior DL as DC's can't predict when teams pass on any down and most teams now pass on first downs anyway. No longer is it run (base)-run (base)-pass (nickel).

If Saleh's big base personnel packages shift focus to more pass rushers, we could see smaller faster quicker lineups and a shift in personnel targets in the draft and FA.

Lol was just arguing this in the Bosa thread I think.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:

If the kyle offense clicks with Hurd and Debo, and all the firepower at TE and RB - most teams will have to pass to catch up, my hope is that our pass rush can basically snuff any comebacks with a couple of sacks and interceptions and all Jimmy has to do in the 2nd half is hand off to his arby's.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Haha...nice!
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Omfg I love it!!!!! That's what we need.
Share 49ersWebzone