LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Niners hire Kris Kocurek as DL coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
I think they needed to blame someone who isn't with the organization anymore.
It only makes sense.

Who is "they?" This was Barrows speaking based on his own personal knowledge.

Zgonina was not a big fan of Thomas, which may explain Thomas' sporadic snap numbers at the beginning of the season and start to explain why Zgonina is no longer on the payroll.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
[Barrows] Zgonina was not a big fan of Thomas, which may explain Thomas' sporadic snap numbers at the beginning of the season and start to explain why Zgonina is no longer on the payroll.
Pretty dumb to be given a #3 pick by your boss and not try to play him.

Maybe Thomas' practices were no good. But, maybe Zgonina expected all the guys to play like he did. But yeah, in the end it's his job to realize that #3 pick's potential.
Yeah, whatever it is it's pretty dumb to not play the guy. If your boss gives you a #3 pick to work with you play that puppy to the ground and if the player doesn't improve or keeps showing bad production then you have showed your boss they made a mistake but the worst thing to do is not play him.
Why couldn't Saleh just tell Zgonina to play Solly more? Zgonina is the decider on all things related to snapcount? No way.
I would think you leave certain decisions to your position coaches. If not then why have them and how would they ever elevate in responsibility.

Position coaches teach their position. I would hope that the DC has the final say in who plays, and how much they play. And if the DC sees something that needs to change, for example more snaps for Solly, that the DC has the authority to make it happen. Why have position coaches? To teach technique and teach how to execute.
Well to me you have guys that teach their positions and are good at it. Since they are good and earn the defensive coordinator's or head man's confidence then when it's their time they promote to DC or OC etc.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I am saying that if Solly needs more snaps, then Saleh should be able to make it happen. No way a DL coach overrules the DC on who gets to play. That's all I'm saying. I don't know about the being good to get promoted topic.

edit: I was specifically addressing Matt Barrows' tweet that Zgonina didn't like Solly so that's why Solly got sporadic snapcounts. I'm saying what does Zgonina not liking Solly have to do with snapcount. Snapcount should be decided by Saleh.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 16, 2019 at 2:19 PM ]
[Barrows] Zgonina was not a big fan of Thomas, which may explain Thomas' sporadic snap numbers at the beginning of the season and start to explain why Zgonina is no longer on the payroll.

Maybe Thomas' practices were no good. But, maybe Zgonina expected all the guys to play like he did. But yeah, in the end it's his job to realize that #3 pick's potential.
Yeah, whatever it is it's pretty dumb to not play the guy. If your boss gives you a #3 pick to work with you play that puppy to the ground and if the player doesn't improve or keeps showing bad production then you have showed your boss they made a mistake but the worst thing to do is not play him.
Why couldn't Saleh just tell Zgonina to play Solly more? Zgonina is the decider on all things related to snapcount? No way.
I would think you leave certain decisions to your position coaches. If not then why have them and how would they ever elevate in responsibility.

Position coaches teach their position. I would hope that the DC has the final say in who plays, and how much they play. And if the DC sees something that needs to change, for example more snaps for Solly, that the DC has the authority to make it happen. Why have position coaches? To teach technique and teach how to execute.
Well to me you have guys that teach their positions and are good at it. Since they are good and earn the defensive coordinator's or head man's confidence then when it's their time they promote to DC or OC etc.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I am saying that if Solly needs more snaps, then Saleh should be able to make it happen. No way a DL coach overrules the DC on who gets to play. That's all I'm saying. I don't know about the being good to get promoted topic.

Backhanded slap to Saleh?
IMO Zgonina was average on the development. But, it's true that Saleh bears responsibility. Either he (incorrectly) trusted his position coaches or wasn't willing to confront anyone. It should be obvious if your #3 pick is not doing much. Either is not a good look for the leader of the defense.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jan 16, 2019 at 2:23 PM ]
I think they needed to blame someone who isn't with the organization anymore.
It only makes sense.

Who is "they?" This was Barrows speaking based on his own personal knowledge.

Zgonina was not a big fan of Thomas, which may explain Thomas' sporadic snap numbers at the beginning of the season and start to explain why Zgonina is no longer on the payroll.

They got rid of Z..
Now it's reported that Z didn't like ST.
1+1=2

Clear enough?

You assume MM came up with this report on his own?
I assume he was told this..

Until there is clear evidence either way both of us are assuming.
You do know a lot of what you post are your assumptions correct?
Or you think all your posts are facts and everyone else are opinions?
They got rid of Z..
Now it's reported that Z didn't like ST.
1+1=2

Clear enough?

You assume MM came up with this report on his own?
I assume he was told this..

Until there is clear evidence either way both of us are assuming.
You do know a lot of what you post are your assumptions correct?
Or you think all your posts are facts and everyone else are opinions?

The only thing I'm asuming is that Zgonina didn't do a good job based on the fact that he was fired.

Failing to develop young players probably would be a good reason to let a coach go.

edit: I was specifically addressing Matt Barrows' tweet that Zgonina didn't like Solly so that's why Solly got sporadic snapcounts. I'm saying what does Zgonina not liking Solly have to do with snapcount. Snapcount should be decided by Saleh.
I don't know I hope we are talking about the same thing lol.

There are more factors than meets the eye on this I believe. Yes ultimately Saleh has the last say but just one example could be that he didn't want to undermine Zgonina by telling him I want Solomon in there and I don't care what you think etc.
Niners outbid some teams to get this guy...yeah, this was definitely a good "get". Hopefully, he'll have some new talent to work with. Anxious to see this guy do his thing and get that DL to up their games.
  • thl408

There are more factors than meets the eye on this I believe. Yes ultimately Saleh has the last say but just one example could be that he didn't want to undermine Zgonina by telling him I want Solomon in there and I don't care what you think etc.

If there is some confidence issue where Saleh doesn't want to overrule the position coach on an issue such as playing time for a player then fire Saleh right now.

Because the team works like any other company. Ultimately it is the general managers' responsibility, but he gets his info from those doing the direct training. Z would likely report to Saleh "This guy is really starting to get it, this guy is going to take a little while yet and that other guy doesn't seem to give a s**t and isn't progressing at all". Saleh will decide who plays more depending on the reports of progress from his position coaches.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM ]

If there is some confidence issue where Saleh doesn't want to overrule the position coach on an issue such as playing time for a player then fire Saleh right now.
May be that is why he is gone because he wasn't good enough to be trusted with such responsibility.

• thl408
Originally posted by WINiner:

Because the team works like any other company. Let's use a McDonalds for example. When the new employee is put to work he falls under the shift manager, who reports to the assistant manager who reports to the general manager. The shift manager trains the new employee and if he's doing well then he tells the assistant manager, and then that assistant manager may cite the new employee when the GM says "Who can we give more hours to?" when making up the new schedule based on the reports of progress from the shift manager.

Ultimately it is the general managers' responsibility, but he gets his info from those doing to direct training. Z would likely report to Saleh "This guy is really starting to get it, this guy is going to take a little while yet and that other guy doesn't seem to give a s**t and isn't progressing at all". Saleh will decide who plays more depending on the reports of progress from his position coaches.

I think that absolves Saleh of his responsibility to put the best players on the field. I have a hard time buying that Zgonina has such an influence regarding who gets more snaps. Sure Zgonina has input, but Saleh oversees the defense and snapcount is one of the areas he should have final say in. The moment it's 3rd & 8, and Saleh sees Solly standing next to him on the sideline while Earl Mitchell is on the field, Saleh needs to change it.

Because the team works like any other company. Ultimately it is the general managers' responsibility, but he gets his info from those doing the direct training. Z would likely report to Saleh "This guy is really starting to get it, this guy is going to take a little while yet and that other guy doesn't seem to give a s**t and isn't progressing at all". Saleh will decide who plays more depending on the reports of progress from his position coaches.
Yeah.

Because the team works like any other company. Let's use a McDonalds for example. When the new employee is put to work he falls under the shift manager, who reports to the assistant manager who reports to the general manager. The shift manager trains the new employee and if he's doing well then he tells the assistant manager, and then that assistant manager may cite the new employee when the GM says "Who can we give more hours to?" when making up the new schedule based on the reports of progress from the shift manager.

Ultimately it is the general managers' responsibility, but he gets his info from those doing to direct training. Z would likely report to Saleh "This guy is really starting to get it, this guy is going to take a little while yet and that other guy doesn't seem to give a s**t and isn't progressing at all". Saleh will decide who plays more depending on the reports of progress from his position coaches.

I think that absolves Saleh of his responsibility to put the best players on the field. I have a hard time buying that Zgonina has such an influence regarding who gets more snaps. Sure Zgonina has input, but Saleh oversees the defense and snapcount is one of the areas he should have final say in. The moment it's 3rd & 8, and Saleh sees Solly standing next to him on the sideline while Earl Mitchell is on the field, Saleh needs to change it.

Hence Solly getting more playing time toward the end of the year and Z no longer employed by the team. Im not quite sure what else could be expected of Saleh. Look im no fan of Saleh, but he did what everyone is complaining he didn't. He overrode Z's opinion on Solly's progress, and then they fired him when the season was over. Seems pretty clear to me.

Seriously. Maybe Z never wanted him at LEO and Saleh did and they blame Z for it not working out.

We'll find out soon!
Ive got a good feeling about this guy. Hopefully he is going to shake s**t up because- dear lord- it needs to be shaken.

The draft capitol of these guys compared to output? Alarming.
[ Edited by Bitplayer on Jan 16, 2019 at 7:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone