There are 262 users in the forums

Our Underachieving Season Was Due To

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Our Underachieving Season Was Due To

• FL9er
  • Veteran
She says:

49ers' defensive blue chips

Here's the list of the first-rounders on the Niners' defense entering the 2018 season:

-- Jimmie Ward, defensive back: 30th overall pick, 2014
-- Arik Armstead, defensive lineman: 17th overall, 2015
-- DeForest Buckner, defensive lineman: seventh overall, 2016
-- Solomon Thomas, defensive lineman: third overall, 2017
-- Reuben Foster, linebacker: 31st overall, 2017 (released in November)

The Niners signed elite veteran corner Richard Sherman, who was coming off of injury, in the offseason and then focused on fortifying their offense around Jimmy Garoppolo with their first couple selections in the draft. This seemed to signal a belief that their prior draft picks would perform, especially along their defensive front. While sacks aren't the only measure of pressure, their total of 37 for the season (tied for 22nd) provides a quick way to contextualize their underperformance. I took a little deeper dive into their ability to create disruptive pressures and limit rushes -- they don't rank lower than 20th in either contextualized metric. When you take that into account and consider how many high-potential players they have on D, their poor third-down percentage (40.3, ranked 21st) is surprising. It will be interesting to see how defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, who spent three seasons as an assistant coach with Seattle's Legion of Boom defense, will scheme to create more disruptive pressure with the high-potential young group in his third season on the job.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001010925/article/jaguars-d-among-10-most-underperforming-units-of-2018-season
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

http://www.knbr.com/2019/01/16/cassius-marsh-explains-how-magic-the-gathering-sharpens-his-mind/
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
QB1 going down in the third game. Period.

This is not about injuries

Then your thread title is invalid.

Injuries happen, lesser players come in and are generally more prone to turnovers/inability to takeaway.

You can't disregard injuries from a discussion about why our season was poor.

This x 100000000000000000000

no ,. but you also can not totally hang your hat on that excuse. and yes many do which is just whistling past the end zone to me

With all the injuries we still had the 16th rated offense.
Bosa / Allen / Williams do not just take the job of the Karate Kid.

I propose a battle to the death, Dungeons and Dragons stylee, yo
Originally posted by LVJay:

http://www.knbr.com/2019/01/16/cassius-marsh-explains-how-magic-the-gathering-sharpens-his-mind/
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Bosa / Allen / Williams do not just take the job of the Karate Kid.

I propose a battle to the death, Dungeons and Dragons stylee, yo

LOL then no one stands a chance... Kocurek better turn into a Kesuke real quick #MrMiyagi
Losing a QB hurt but the defense was bad and poorly coached.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
#LilWayne #E40 #Drake
Our FQB tearing his ACL?
We lack the talent to be a complete team imo. Too many underperforming draft picks. Lynch and co. gotta nail this draft son.

I can't put it all on Jimmy G, maybe we have 7 wins with him.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Jan 17, 2019 at 7:40 PM ]
Injuries. !

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
We lack the talent to be a complete team imo. Too many underperforming draft picks. Lynch and co. gotta nail this draft son.

this makes the most sense of all. of course the injuries played a role but if is dumb in my opinion to hang all our woes on the injury bug
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by T-9ers:

this makes the most sense of all. of course the injuries played a role but if is dumb in my opinion to hang all our woes on the injury bug

We've had our share of bad breaks too. Aldon, Borland, Foster, Kaep fizzling out but it all comes down to the same thing, we just aren't drafting or developing players to field a consistent winner lately. Just look at our last 6 drafts, especially in the early rounds. That's not going to get it done in this league.
Poor coaching. Poor roster management.

Basically the GM and HC are issues as usual.
Wow, this thread is ten days old and still nobody's fixed the title.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Tardinals! They ruined us!! Twice!!! We never recovered...losing to the worse team in the league...screwed fragile minds
Share 49ersWebzone