LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

Our Underachieving Season Was Due To

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Our Underachieving Season Was Due To

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Here is the problem with your thesis. Jimmy G was not playing that well to start the season. He was taking stupid sacks and was inconsistent. We lost 2 games with him at the helm. Would he of turned it aroundd, maybe? However, Mullen's played better in a number of games. The one sore spot that I'll grant you was the stretch with Beathard, but that's on Kyle.

Also, Jet went down but Brieda and the committee averaged over 5 YPC. It's not like we lost Frank Gore in his prime and everything fell apart.

In my mind, that makes your first two point irrelevant.
no one wants to address the fact jimmy was not good when he did play. the wide outs did him no favors nor did the offensive line but he was not the god people thought he would be. people also blaming the jet injury. how do you know what we would have got with him so you can not project logically in my opinion. you can just wish and hope. which is another thing. we wish and hope people will get it. the coaches will get it. the guys that were hurt or not very good in years past we HOPE they would have been better. to many over valued this team
Originally posted by cciowa:
Here is the problem with your thesis. Jimmy G was not playing that well to start the season. He was taking stupid sacks and was inconsistent. We lost 2 games with him at the helm. Would he of turned it aroundd, maybe? However, Mullen's played better in a number of games. The one sore spot that I'll grant you was the stretch with Beathard, but that's on Kyle.

Also, Jet went down but Brieda and the committee averaged over 5 YPC. It's not like we lost Frank Gore in his prime and everything fell apart.

no one wants to address the fact jimmy was not good when he did play. the wide outs did him no favors nor did the offensive line but he was not the god people thought he would be. people also blaming the jet injury. how do you know what we would have got with him so you can not project logically in my opinion. you can just wish and hope. which is another thing. we wish and hope people will get it. the coaches will get it. the guys that were hurt or not very good in years past we HOPE they would have been better. to many over valued this team

Dude...he had a bad game in the opener. In the other 2 starts he had no turnovers, threw 2 TDs a game, completed of 66% of passes each game and had a QB rating over 115. If he played at that level or close for the whole season he's even better that what we would have hoped for. For the remaining 13 games we got 2 total games from our QBs on par with what Jimmy did (no turnovers and 110+ QB rating)
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 9, 2019 at 9:19 AM ]
  • dj43

Small sample size with Garoppolo. Some did over-rate him but he showed more than enough to justify the hope many placed on him. Your negative filter is influencing your better judgement. He had some great games in 2017 but 2018 was a mixed bag. Still there was much promise.

Some did over-value the team but no one will really know how good this team may be until the same group of starters can stay together and healthy for a stretch of games that allow them to develop the chemistry necessary to show what they can do. "Next man up" is a nice sounding mantra but it isn't realistic if one thinks the "next guy" is going to play as well as the starter who just went down. The starter is the starter for a reason. He was better. The back-up isn't. Nowhere is that more true than in the secondary and that is where we got hurt the most this past season.
WHY wasn't "Injuries" a category??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

Small sample size with Garoppolo. Some did over-rate him but he showed more than enough to justify the hope many placed on him. Your negative filter is influencing your better judgement. He had some great games in 2017 but 2018 was a mixed bag. Still there was much promise.

Some did over-value the team but no one will really know how good this team may be until the same group of starters can stay together and healthy for a stretch of games that allow them to develop the chemistry necessary to show what they can do. "Next man up" is a nice sounding mantra but it isn't realistic if one thinks the "next guy" is going to play as well as the starter who just went down. The starter is the starter for a reason. He was better. The back-up isn't. Nowhere is that more true than in the secondary and that is where we got hurt the most this past season.
i do not have the worry that others do in regards to the health of jimmy. but if he goes out and tears an achilles like bowman did after his knee thing. especially with the knee thing. we need to beef up the wide outs with a big guy., get a better second tight end. and get a good guard. i guess we need to hope the center comes back and staley has another year in him
Originally posted by Niners816:

Dude...he had a bad game in the opener. In the other 2 starts he had no turnovers, threw 2 TDs a game, completed of 66% of passes each game and had a QB rating over 115. If he played at that level or close for the whole season he's even better that what we would have hoped for. For the remaining 13 games we got 2 total games from our QBs on par with what Jimmy did (no turnovers and 110+ QB rating)

Thank you. People keep acting like the dude threw 3 INTs in each of the 3 games he played. The game was just ugly in Minnesota, so many drops by WRs and we literally had to move McGlinchey to RG and Gilliam to RT because Person & Garnett both got hurt. Kittle letting a wide open 40 yard bomb go right through his hands that could have resulted in a touchdown, Garcon dropping a ball in the endzone, Morris fumbling at the 1, Tartt dropping a pick. Yeah he threw 3 INTs but only one of those were on him. Pick #1 Bourne falls down mid cut and jimmy threw it to where he was going to be, pick #2 Pettis gives Rhodes a 5 step move on a slant... that route is timed, jimmy threw it barely out of his reach maybe because the timing of the route was off? and #3 was flat out on him. Jimmy is the best QB on the roster and there's no doubt about that, Nick will be a solid backup for years to come.
Originally posted by 49erJay:
Originally posted by Niners816:

Thank you. People keep acting like the dude threw 3 INTs in each of the 3 games he played. The game was just ugly in Minnesota, so many drops by WRs and we literally had to move McGlinchey to RG and Gilliam to RT because Person & Garnett both got hurt. Kittle letting a wide open 40 yard bomb go right through his hands that could have resulted in a touchdown, Garcon dropping a ball in the endzone, Morris fumbling at the 1, Tartt dropping a pick. Yeah he threw 3 INTs but only one of those were on him. Pick #1 Bourne falls down mid cut and jimmy threw it to where he was going to be, pick #2 Pettis gives Rhodes a 5 step move on a slant... that route is timed, jimmy threw it barely out of his reach maybe because the timing of the route was off? and #3 was flat out on him. Jimmy is the best QB on the roster and there's no doubt about that, Nick will be a solid backup for years to come.
Very good post!

This. Garoppolo struggled against Minnesota, looked perfectly fine in the second and third game, really looked like himself from the previous season against KC. Its a shame that he went down so early in the season.
Our Underachiving Season Was Due To ... inane forum threads?
  • dj43
Originally posted by LarryLestersBuns:
Our Underachiving Season Was Due To ... inane forum threads?

awww.

the defense found ways to lose winnable games in my opinion

That's true too, no doubt.
Our underarchiving season is due to us not archiving enough. Perhaps we should have hired a librarian?
Seriously, could we get the title fixed?
When the great hall of famer Mckinnon went down.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Lol

classic
Share 49ersWebzone