LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Ted Robinson Contract is up! Papa?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think football is more of a passion to Pappa than it is to Robinson. GP will bring more energy, at a time when the trajectory is upward for the team. It's going to be exciting listening to those games on the radio!
Dont want a raider fan boy callin my 9er games
I really didn't like Ted Robinson so any change is welcome for now
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Dont want a raider fan boy callin my 9er games

He grew up in NY and went to Syracuse, back in 1997 when he started calling raider games he didn't kno nothing about the franchise and did his research on the team. He was talking about this on 95.7. Now he's saying he's going to have to do some research on the niners, though he knows some of the history already.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
I think football is more of a passion to Pappa than it is to Robinson. GP will bring more energy, at a time when the trajectory is upward for the team. It's going to be exciting listening to those games on the radio!

Sucks for Ted rob, when this team is finally picking back up and may compete for championships later on he can't be the one on the air to share the joy.
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Must be a bunch of closet Raiders fans in here with all the Papa love....

Or we just appreciate his talent and know its a massive upgrade over Robinson.

lol you got some stats to prove hes a "massive upgrade"? You cant make something totally subjective into a factual statement. Some people like Papa's style, and some don't. I didn't think Robinson was great, but I certainly liked him better than Greg Papa.

My main issue is hiring an iconic Raiders voice to broadcast the 49ers. It doesn't fit the brand. Papa is a mediocre announcer with a fake media personality who is known for his Raiders TD call. Not the best hire IMO.

Perfect hire IMO

Legendary Bay Area sports voice.

and lol @ asking for stats on a radio announcer

Obviously the stats remark was a joke. He made his opinion about which announcer he liked better like it was quantifiable.
Must be a bunch of closet Raiders fans in here with all the Papa love....

Or we just appreciate his talent and know its a massive upgrade over Robinson.

lol you got some stats to prove hes a "massive upgrade"? You cant make something totally subjective into a factual statement. Some people like Papa's style, and some don't. I didn't think Robinson was great, but I certainly liked him better than Greg Papa.

My main issue is hiring an iconic Raiders voice to broadcast the 49ers. It doesn't fit the brand. Papa is a mediocre announcer with a fake media personality who is known for his Raiders TD call. Not the best hire IMO.

Laughable question. Papa is highly regarded in the football world as a top announcer. Robinson is not. That is an upgrade.

Would you rather have Bob Fitzgerald? That was looking like the heir apparent so everyone should be happy with this move.

It wasn't a question. Clearly the joke went over your head.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Team49ers:

Sucks for Ted rob, when this team is finally picking back up and may compete for championships later on he can't be the one on the air to share the joy.

Yeah, I feel for Ted, too. Wonder why they decided to make the switch to Papa - I thought Ted was doing a good job.
My kids' sports have meant for the past decade+ I've spent many Sundays driving to/from their games, and if I decide not to wait to watch Niners on DVR then I listen on radio or SXM. And then there are many times where I'd listen to the Raider games.
To me it's not even close, Greg Papa is far more knowledgeable and calls a better game than Ted Robinson. I know it's a former player role and it wouldn't happen, but I think Papa has enough football knowledge to where he could do color.

Browsing some comments here, some say Papa was too much of a homer and wouldn't call out the Raiders for poor play...first of all, all team broadcasters have some degree of homer, but to say Papa wouldn't criticize the Raiders, are you serious? Then you haven't listened to Raider games or Papa on his daily show on 95.7 where he speaks his mind about all the teams including those he works for. When Al Davis was alive Papa would criticize the team, and he's talked about how at times it created friction with Davis...and it was Papa's criticism of Mark Davis that got him fired.

I think it's a good move for the Niners, and a fantastic one when you consider it could've been Bob Fitzgerald who took over.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Jan 5, 2019 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Team49ers:

Yeah, I feel for Ted, too. Wonder why they decided to make the switch to Papa - I thought Ted was doing a good job.

Yes, agree regarding Ted. He brought a light-heartedness to the broadcast of many dismal games.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Jan 5, 2019 at 9:48 AM ]

Share 49ersWebzone