LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Jalen Hurd-IR-Baylor is waived

• All22
  • Veteran
The Falcons vs Packers NFC championship game is fascinating too. Kyle seems equally likely to run or pass out of every personnel grouping.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Until I see it, I ain't hurd nothin.

I like that. We drafted him to be a chess piece period. Don't pigeon hole him. I think due to his size he gets a few carries at the GL. He runs very upright though so I don't know how that will work. He's not getting a bunch of carries in the middle of the field though. TE, slot WR, WR and RB. It will be good for him to do all while he's really learning how to run routes. A way to get him involved. A package player his first year. I expect a decent game every 3-4 weeks. Decent meaning really involved. I just wonder how explosive he is. Anyone have an idea???
[ Edited by IHATELOWELLCOHN on Jul 5, 2019 at 1:58 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
THE TOWERING INFERNO!!!!!
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I see Hurd very rarely being used as a running back. Like the 49ers will do it enough JUST so defensive coordinators will know it's an option (the threat that you spoke of). I wouldn't even be surprised to see some mindf**kery where they had Hurd run the ball quite a bit in the preseason, but then he runs it 10 times max during the regular season. At the end of the day, I see mostly WR because that is likely where the greatest mismatch will lie and it's what Hurd was drafted to be.

As for Gorewhat you said is exactly what makes him special. As well as his ability to squeeze yards where there seemingly are none to be gained. His Hall of Fame candidacy is not based on All Pro seasons, Pro Bowls, or rushing titles. But anyone that really watches football can see that Gore is one of the greats.

From what I've seen, Kyle likes to read how the defense responds to his interesting personnel groupings then decide what to call. For instance, in the Superbowl, first drive he came out with both Coleman and Freeman in the backfield and the Patriots responded with a Nickel D. Then he subbed out a HB for a FB and went empty backfield because the Pats stayed in Nickel. Kyle realized that Pats we're selling out against the pass even when he had 2 backs in the game so he just ran it against their Nickel D for the entire first half and racked up a ton of yards.

Did something similar against Seattle in the playoffs that year but the Seachickens came out in Base 4-3 so he passed it. When they switched their D, he changed his O.

So Hurd will get carries depending on how the D covers him. If they cover him with an LB then look for him to get Iso'd in the slot. If he draws a nickel corner then look for him to get carries. I doubt it will be a pre-determined strategy.

I really don't think so. Hurd left a school he was setting records at to get away from playing RB. The kid wants to play WR and has shown that he is willing to risk it all to do so. I can't imagine that being the case and him being ok with toting the rock all kinds in the NFL where the players are faster and the hits harder. I think Hurd gets very little time at RB personally. Maybe a few carries on the year, to include the preseason. He may play some H-back, but I see him primarily as a wr.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I see Hurd very rarely being used as a running back. Like the 49ers will do it enough JUST so defensive coordinators will know it's an option (the threat that you spoke of). I wouldn't even be surprised to see some mindf**kery where they had Hurd run the ball quite a bit in the preseason, but then he runs it 10 times max during the regular season. At the end of the day, I see mostly WR because that is likely where the greatest mismatch will lie and it's what Hurd was drafted to be.

As for Gorewhat you said is exactly what makes him special. As well as his ability to squeeze yards where there seemingly are none to be gained. His Hall of Fame candidacy is not based on All Pro seasons, Pro Bowls, or rushing titles. But anyone that really watches football can see that Gore is one of the greats.

From what I've seen, Kyle likes to read how the defense responds to his interesting personnel groupings then decide what to call. For instance, in the Superbowl, first drive he came out with both Coleman and Freeman in the backfield and the Patriots responded with a Nickel D. Then he subbed out a HB for a FB and went empty backfield because the Pats stayed in Nickel. Kyle realized that Pats we're selling out against the pass even when he had 2 backs in the game so he just ran it against their Nickel D for the entire first half and racked up a ton of yards.

Did something similar against Seattle in the playoffs that year but the Seachickens came out in Base 4-3 so he passed it. When they switched their D, he changed his O.

So Hurd will get carries depending on how the D covers him. If they cover him with an LB then look for him to get Iso'd in the slot. If he draws a nickel corner then look for him to get carries. I doubt it will be a pre-determined strategy.

I really don't think so. Hurd left a school he was setting records at to get away from playing RB. The kid wants to play WR and has shown that he is willing to risk it all to do so. I can't imagine that being the case and him being ok with toting the rock all kinds in the NFL where the players are faster and the hits harder. I think Hurd gets very little time at RB personally. Maybe a few carries on the year, to include the preseason. He may play some H-back, but I see him primarily as a wr.

That's a shame because we have a huge need for running backs.

Oh, wait....
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by WINiner:

That's a shame because we have a huge need for running backs.

Oh, wait....

Yeah the other reason he won't play rb much. This team is stacked and doesn't have enough carries to go around already.
I could see him lining up in the backfield as if for pass protection then bleeding out over the middle as a receiver when defenses pay too much attention to stretch plays and swing passes.
Do you think it is likely that he will be seen playing slot WR mostly when he is in the game this year?
Shanahan said he will play the Z and F receiver and it would be cool to get him some Carrie's as a RB but he also keeps saying he needs to learn the reciever position first.

https://247sports.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/Article/Kyle-Shanahan-Jalen-Hurd-position-changes-132812185/
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Shanahan said he will play the Z and F receiver and it would be cool to get him some Carrie's as a RB but he also keeps saying he needs to learn the reciever position first.

https://247sports.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/Article/Kyle-Shanahan-Jalen-Hurd-position-changes-132812185/

Thanks. I'm not clear about what an F receiver does - is it just another name for an H-back?

Originally posted by 49erphan:
Thanks. I'm not clear about what an F receiver does - is it just another name for an H-back?

That's a guy that flunks all his classes but is still allowed to play.
I'm not super optimistic that this dude will be any good but I am really intrigued to see how Kyle will use him
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I'm not super optimistic that this dude will be any good but I am really intrigued to see how Kyle will use him

hope for the best.. but I think he's a big improvement over Bourne Identity !!
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 49erphan:

That's a guy that flunks all his classes but is still allowed to play.

Yeah, that sounds like something Shanahan would like.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

hope for the best.. but I think he's a big improvement over Bourne Identity !!

Red zone because Kyle has always sucked in the red zone. We need a big RB and a big WR.

Red zone too crowded for Kyles cute layered routes.
Share 49ersWebzone