LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Jalen Hurd-IR-Baylor is waived

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
A lot of the switching, I think, was due to injuries- if he can stay healthy, he might make the roster. The WR squad looks loaded on paper this year. I'm wondering if we can get some trade value on some of the potential WR cuts.

I mean he couldn't even latch back on to Philly (for the 2nd time)....he had 20 catches for 300 yards over 14 games last yr. He was so amazing that they gave up a 3rd for another slot WR in Golden Tate

He's a walking injury and like I said I'll be shocked if he makes it over guys like Taylor or Bourne.

It's a good debate between players such as Taylor, James, Bourne and Matthews.

Reading the tea leaves, Kyle wants to beef up the Z (Bourne's current position) and the slot (Taylor's current position).

We already know Deebo is going to take over the Z. And the slot looks like Kyle wants big time physical mismatches there and could run a wide variety of skills from there (Taylor, Deebo, Hurd, Matthews, Pettis, etc.). Hurd will backup all 3.

Now, who will back up the Z? It's going to come down to Bourne vs. Matthews.

I feel like people are underrating Matthews. He has produced when he wasn't stuck on the Bills. Personally I think he makes the team.

I think the real battle will be between Taylor and James for a roster spot.

Yeah, only 1 of those 2 too. Definitely.

I have a slight edge to Matthews as well...for now.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think Hurd will eventually be Kittles main backup. It's going to take him a year or two, but that's where I see Shanny playing him.

I am hoping he keeps developing as is and becomes our next superstar receiver.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
THE TOWERINGGGGGGGGGGGG INFERNO!!!!!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
A lot of the switching, I think, was due to injuries- if he can stay healthy, he might make the roster. The WR squad looks loaded on paper this year. I'm wondering if we can get some trade value on some of the potential WR cuts.

I mean he couldn't even latch back on to Philly (for the 2nd time)....he had 20 catches for 300 yards over 14 games last yr. He was so amazing that they gave up a 3rd for another slot WR in Golden Tate

He's a walking injury and like I said I'll be shocked if he makes it over guys like Taylor or Bourne.

It's a good debate between players such as Taylor, James, Bourne and Matthews.

Reading the tea leaves, Kyle wants to beef up the Z (Bourne's current position) and the slot (Taylor's current position).

We already know Deebo is going to take over the Z. And the slot looks like Kyle wants big time physical mismatches there and could run a wide variety of skills from there (Taylor, Deebo, Hurd, Matthews, Pettis, etc.). Hurd will backup all 3.

Now, who will back up the Z? It's going to come down to Bourne vs. Matthews.

I feel like people are underrating Matthews. He has produced when he wasn't stuck on the Bills. Personally I think he makes the team.

Issue with the 5th WR is he needs to bring more to the team than a WR, we know Pettis, Samuel, Hurd, and Goodwin will be the top 4, but the 5th on gamedays needs to do more, like be a returner, or at least play STs, Idk if Matthews plays STs.

I know Bourne can play STs, and Taylor and James can return Punts or Kicks.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on May 10, 2019 at 8:34 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Issue with the 5th WR is he needs to bring more to the team than a WR, we know Pettis, Samuel, Hurd, and Goodwin will be the top 4, but the 5th on gamedays needs to do more, like be a returner, or at least play STs, Idk if Matthews plays STs.

I know Bourne can play STs, and Taylor and James can return Punts or Kicks.

Good point. That 6th is inactive on game days. The 5th may not NEED to be a ST guy given we have Reed and Deebo and others who can be used in the return game but it could be a catalyst to making the 46.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Love this kid already.

Rhul's favorite story about Hurd came in Baylor's season finale against Texas Tech when the Bears were desperate for a sixth win in order to become bowl eligible. Hurd wound up tearing his meniscus in the first quarter after catching a quick slant.

Rhule went over to him on the sideline to share his sympathies and thank him for a great season. But Hurd was adamant that he could play through the injury and finish the game. He did so and caught three passes for 43 yards as Baylor went on to beat the Red Raiders. That, for Ruhl, was the defining moment of Hurd's character.

"He was selfless," Rhule said. "He was all about the team even though he had an NFL future hanging in the balance. He chose to go on the field and play. To me, that sums up who he is."

"The week leading up to the draft, talking to Jalen, I know he was really hoping he'd end up in San Francisco," Rhule said. "That's true. He said that to me a couple of times. He felt like after going there and visiting that it was the right fit for him."

"He checks off the X's and O's box. He checks off the skills and talents box. But he also checks off the work ethic and character box," Rhule said. "I think the fans in San Francisco just got a guy who's going to play hurt. He's going to play when he's tired. He's going to play whether they're winning or losing. He's going to play no matter what because he loves the game.

"To me, as just a fan, that's what I want. I want to go watch guys who love the game and respect the game. That's Jalen Hurd."

Joe Fann article with his Baylor college coach.

well......

damn..........

I bet his agent was pissed.

?

playing on a torn knee..... could have going bad
Damn... need cliff notes!

Damn the Athletic!! I can read two paragraphs lol
download the athletic app, you get 3 free articles a month
[ Edited by valrod33 on May 14, 2019 at 7:18 AM ]

Yeah, can someone post the highlights, por favor?

Originally posted by valrod33:
download the athletic app, you get 3 free articles a month

Didn't know that at all. Great info. Appreciate that!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Downloaded the Athletic and got them anyways.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

totally agree on mathews... people underestimate him. and totally agree with taylor vs james. i would be fine if both left and would be totally fine with the two rookies and mathews starting. last year all the wide outs had for competition was garcon. i appreciate kyle understanding we needed a big time upgrade there.. and yes.. i consider bringing in three new guys a big time upgrade. i also would be fine with bourne going. we need new blood as we had no one who scared anyone last year with the wideouts
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

Rookie WRs rarely make a big impact, especially rookie WR who played RB most of their college career. Matthews was brought in to help with the red zone and moving the chains. He had good years when utilized properly. He his also much better WR than anyone on our team besides Pettis and Goodwin. Bourne is done.

Goodwin
Pettis
Deebo
Mathews
Hurd

It doesn't matter after these 5.

this list makes the most sense of anything i have seen. good job
Share 49ersWebzone