LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Jalen Hurd-IR-Baylor is waived

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Dude still not healthy.

Why is anybody counting on this guy?

If he's not cleared by April - I won't be counting on this guy.
Originally posted by genus49:
Dude still not healthy.

That's definitely concerning...back injuries are scary but the fact that he's STILL not cleared definitely causes concern and also questions as how the hell did we think he could come back?

At this point I definitely don't think we can assume anything and I'd feel that way even if Hurd was fully cleared back in February since we haven't seen a thing from him in games that matter.

Right now as much as we've invested in the position in draft capital lately the position group is a big question mark

Deebo - only "sure" thing and he's not really a #1 guy but he looks like a very good player for us
Bourne - most of us love the kid but while he's quality depth he's not exactly someone who scares the other team
Sanders - will he be back?

Those are the only guys we can count on moving forward.

Hurd - unproven/back issue
Pettis - near Foster like 2nd season, who knows if he even makes it to camp or the active roster next season. I love the kid but clearly he needs to take his opportunity more serious.
Taylor - who knows where he's at after his nightmare injury season. Foot injuries for slot guys are killer.
James - nice glimpses here and there but hasn't shown he can be counted on big time.

I definitely think you've got the right approach here. There's about 8 players you just pretend aren't even on the roster. And then when they complete, if they earn it, it's like getting bonus players.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hoping he's good to go for OTAs still can't count on him. This draft is pack full of elite talent. They need to stock up

Unfortunately we don't have enough picks in this draft to stock up.

It's too bad this year we got nothing from our 2018 second round WR pick and our 2019 third round WR pick. So we had to trade our 2020 third round pick for a one-year WR rental. And now those three picks are all uncertain to contribute anything next season.

Maybe a trade down happens and then we yield great picks but that's asking for a lot.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Dude still not healthy.

That's definitely concerning...back injuries are scary but the fact that he's STILL not cleared definitely causes concern and also questions as how the hell did we think he could come back?

At this point I definitely don't think we can assume anything and I'd feel that way even if Hurd was fully cleared back in February since we haven't seen a thing from him in games that matter.

Right now as much as we've invested in the position in draft capital lately the position group is a big question mark

Deebo - only "sure" thing and he's not really a #1 guy but he looks like a very good player for us
Bourne - most of us love the kid but while he's quality depth he's not exactly someone who scares the other team

Pettis - near Foster like 2nd season, who knows if he even makes it to camp or the active roster next season. I love the kid but clearly he needs to take his opportunity more serious.
Taylor - who knows where he's at after his nightmare injury season. Foot injuries for slot guys are killer.
James - nice glimpses here and there but hasn't shown he can be counted on big time.

I definitely think you've got the right approach here. There's about 8 players you just pretend aren't even on the roster. And then when they complete, if they earn it, it's like getting bonus players.

Pretty much. I mean, honestly. If Hurd's back was hurt so severely, he couldn't even risk sitting on a plane for a few hours, that meant it was EXTREMELY serious. Part of me wonders if he actually wound up having surgery or something that wasn't reported.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 25, 2020 at 11:03 AM ]
Dude still not healthy.

It's not uncommon to not fly with recent back/neck (or any injury) issues, I had neck surgery 3 years ago and it still sucks to fly. I can still work out like normal and play sports, but sitting on a plane for that long is not fun And it can seize up. . And if he's just getting healthy why risk it? Same thing happened with harry Giles and his knee when the kings flew to India in the offseason and he is now playing at a pretty high level.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Feb 25, 2020 at 11:09 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Dude still not healthy.

Pretty much. I mean, honestly. If Hurd's back was hurt so severely, he couldn't even risk sitting on a plane for a few hours, that meant it was EXTREMELY serious. Part of me wonders if he actually wound up having surgery or something that wasn't reported.

I certainly need to work on curbing my enthusiasm for Hurd. It ain't easy.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
It's not uncommon to not fly with recent back/neck (or any injury) issues, I had neck surgery 3 years ago and it still sucks to fly. I can still work out like normal and play sports, but sitting on a plane for that long is not fun And it can seize up. . And if he's just getting healthy why risk it? Same thing happened with harry Giles and his knee when the kings flew to India in the offseason and he is now playing at a pretty high level.

Nice story bro.

j/k
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
Unfortunately we don't have enough picks in this draft to stock up.

It's too bad this year we got nothing from our 2018 second round WR pick and our 2019 third round WR pick. So we had to trade our 2020 third round pick for a one-year WR rental. And now those three picks are all uncertain to contribute anything next season.

Maybe a trade down happens and then we yield great picks but that's asking for a lot.

3rd and 4th round pick

Which is why I think we need to re-sign Sanders...but at the same time can't overpay him because of it so we'll see what happens.

IMO we need Sanders back regardless of whether we think we're going to draft WR early this year or not. His veteran presence was huge and it will continue to be that way for the team and any young WRs we have.

Plus he'd be another year remove from his achilles injury and he and Jimmy can work on making that chemistry on point.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Dude still not healthy.

this is concerning. no matter the location or severity of what the injury really was, the fact that it happend and preseason and he was still not 100% completely and surely healed in february is not good news. if its not for sure healed by then it may never be.
When you really stop and think about it, it isn't all that crazy that he needed over 6 months to get fully healed. He had a fracture in his back. It isn't like he's been resting for a full year and he still can't move around.

Everyone needs to chill.

Originally posted by BYisGod:
When you really stop and think about it, it isn't all that crazy that he needed over 6 months to get fully healed. He had a fracture in his back. It isn't like he's been resting for a full year and he still can't move around.

Everyone needs to chill.

Agree. I think it's just how they managed it. Same thing with T Taylor. Dude broke his foot which is a complicated part of the body. He's a receiver. But people were acting like he was just gonna be out a week or two.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Everyone needs to chill.

It's pretty crazy for a stress reaction. There is more to the story. He must have another structural issue - herniation, multiple fractures, etc. This is a very extended timeline.

Even after they changed his diagnosis , they were still planning on him being back in the season.
worry that this is a guy who will never be healthy.

Everyone needs to chill.

It's pretty crazy for a stress reaction. There is more to the story. He must have another structural issue - herniation, multiple fractures, etc. This is a very extended timeline.

Even after they changed his diagnosis , they were still planning on him being back in the season.

FYI:

Lynch:

"We think we're nearing toward a much better place, to where he'll be cleared for all activities. Don't want to give that word officially. But there's been some recent scans that give us a lot of hope that will be the case, and come April in the offseason program he'll be a full go."

We discussed how Hurd didn't fly with the team to Miami because Hurd wasn't sure if the long flight would further affect his back injury. Shanahan discussed his injury as well:

"With the back stuff, he didn't want to travel or be in the meetings. There wasn't much to do. He had a stress fracture. It's taken a long time to heal. We wanted him as immobile as possible."
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Everyone needs to chill.

FYI:

Lynch:

"We think we're nearing toward a much better place, to where he'll be cleared for all activities. Don't want to give that word officially. But there's been some recent scans that give us a lot of hope that will be the case, and come April in the offseason program he'll be a full go."

We discussed how Hurd didn't fly with the team to Miami because Hurd wasn't sure if the long flight would further affect his back injury. Shanahan discussed his injury as well:

"With the back stuff, he didn't want to travel or be in the meetings. There wasn't much to do. He had a stress fracture. It's taken a long time to heal. We wanted him as immobile as possible."

I posted that originally. No bueno.
Share 49ersWebzone