There are 195 users in the forums

Jalen Hurd-WR-Baylor is a 49ER

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
I'm not sure what his 40 is. I'v seen everything from 4.37 to 4.5's. I've seen his size listed between 6'3" and 6'5". His weight is listed between 220 and 235 lbs. In short, his size and speed are almost as unknown as his actual ability to play in the NFL. If he becomes the player the fans want him to be he'll be a real threat. I hope he doesn't turn out to be another athletic freak that can't make the grade.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Serious question:

How fast is Hurd compared to our mythological speed burner WR that is on many shopping lists?

He was running 4.4s at Baylor. That's at 6-5 225

What do speed burners run? 4.3 something or other?

I'm asking because it looks to me like he'd be a RB/TE primarily, but I was hoping for the occasional deep threat as well.

4.3 is flying (what we need). 4.4 at his size is pretty insane in his own right, Not sure if he's still that... but he was recorded doing it at Baylor. I think 4.5 is a safe number now.

He's not a TE nor will he really be used as a true RB. I expect him to have a similar role/used the same as Deebo.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 14, 2020 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm not sure what his 40 is. I'v seen everything from 4.37 to 4.5's. I've seen his size listed between 6'3" and 6'5". His weight is listed between 220 and 235 lbs. In short, his size and speed are almost as unknown as his actual ability to play in the NFL. If he becomes the player the fans want him to be he'll be a real threat. I hope he doesn't turn out to be another athletic freak that can't make the grade.

At the combine he was measured in at 6' 5" and 226Lbs. There's no debating that.

40x is all over the place because he's run from 4.37 to a 4.66 at different periods. The slowest being after knee surgery. I think a respectable 4.5 would be a fair number. Similar to Mike Evans, which is fast at almost 230Lbs.

The only reason IMO he won't be productive is because of injuries IMO. Not saying he's gonna be a star BUT I could see around 700 yards (100 yards rushing) 5-6TDs
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

At the combine he was measured in at 6' 5" and 226Lbs. There's no debating that.

40x is all over the place because he's run from 4.37 to a 4.66 at different periods. The slowest being after knee surgery. I think a respectable 4.5 would be a fair number. Similar to Mike Evans, which is fast at almost 230Lbs.

The only reason IMO he won't be productive is because of injuries IMO. Not saying he's gonna be a star BUT I could see around 700 yards (100 yards rushing) 5-6TDs

NICE... almost like Aaron Hernandez type of stats at New England.
Maybe i misundertstood his reason for transferring to Baylor, but i recall reading that he took inventory of what was happening to his body at the School where he was as RB, (TN i think), and decided to transfer to Baylor where he could play WR. The reason? So he wouldn't get so beaten up physically like he had been as a RB. And that in a nutshell was my understanding as to why he transferred to Baylor....less physical beat down at WR than at RB.

Generally, NFL RBs have a shelf life of 5 yrs. And Hurd didn't want to continue along that track with its average 5 yrs in NFL and done as a RB.

Because of that, i expected his running to be YAC moreso than carrying the ball. As we know, kyle likes WR/TE/RB trifecta, and he has 6 guys right now that can and do play all 3 positions. What exactly kyle was expecting from Hurd i don't know, but obviously Blocking will be a large part of it, and running the ball and receiving minor parts. Or, maybe he sees Hurd primarily as a WR (ballcatcher), and not much else. But i doubt that.

So when i see guesstimates of 600-700 yards rushing , i think back to why Hurd got out of RB while in college in the first place. I am hoping he is one of kyle's Trifecta guys, but honestly will be surprised no matter where or how he ends up. The one thing i didn't expect is the potential that he might just be an injury case. That's the one i hope he is not.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Maybe i misundertstood his reason for transferring to Baylor, but i recall reading that he took inventory of what was happening to his body at the School where he was as RB, (TN i think), and decided to transfer to Baylor where he could play WR. The reason? So he wouldn't get so beaten up physically like he had been as a RB. And that in a nutshell was my understanding as to why he transferred to Baylor....less physical beat down at WR than at RB.

Generally, NFL RBs have a shelf life of 5 yrs. And Hurd didn't want to continue along that track with its average 5 yrs in NFL and done as a RB.

Because of that, i expected his running to be YAC moreso than carrying the ball. As we know, kyle likes WR/TE/RB trifecta, and he has 6 guys right now that can and do play all 3 positions. What exactly kyle was expecting from Hurd i don't know, but obviously Blocking will be a large part of it, and running the ball and receiving minor parts. Or, maybe he sees Hurd primarily as a WR (ballcatcher), and not much else. But i doubt that.

So when i see guesstimates of 600-700 yards rushing , i think back to why Hurd got out of RB while in college in the first place. I am hoping he is one of kyle's Trifecta guys, but honestly will be surprised no matter where or how he ends up. The one thing i didn't expect is the potential that he might just be an injury case. That's the one i hope he is not.

If he gets that many yards, I'd assume it because of 2 or 3 big runs (50+ yards). All we need is one burner to keep one safety back against our offense next year.
Originally posted by 9moon:

Yup and playing along side of Kittle will work well for both of them
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Height, size, & speed reminds me of Plaxico. Also seen comparisons to Terrelle Pryor who played well in Cleveland under Shanahan but was a bust everywhere else. I hope he stays healthy and can get on the field with Deebo. You thought teams were confused with the running game with Deebo wait till we have another guy on field at the same time that can do the same things as Deebo.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I never said there was nothing to be concerned about with Hurd or that you shouldn't be undecided on him. Just don't come in commenting you don't understand why people formed a "high expectation" when you literally can't choose an "expectation" yourself. People on the forum do this all the time... they want to say "we don't know", "you don't know" and then say X,Y, Z, with stats or in this case local news clips to make an argument one way or the other.

"wasn't a high regarded talent in college and switched positions mid college career, was viewed as a project of draft day, had a couple of okay pre-season games"

Yo[b]ur post was lazy and inaccurate.

So idk why you're posting all these articles now... I never said being undecided is wrong. In fact, it's a very fair stance to have about him rn.

"how can one discuss X and Os about a player that's never played a down of NFL football and seriously project his impact on a team mid Championship window?"

But dude. Come on. Don't play dumb like we don't do this every day.

Prove it. I mean you're making all these claims where the proof. I never quoted stats and you must not be reading my posts.

Again I said "I" as in "me" as in my very first post "I just don't buy it guys" so I'm not sure I can have an inaccurate post about my own opinion. No one is playing dumb and maybe you do this everyday, but I'm pretty consistent in my approach to football.

Don't understand why a super high expectation is formed and some are saying we can even afford to let other players go because Hurd? Legit stance backed by actual evidence. If you think otherwise and someone has said differently since you made the point of me being "inaccurate" then prove it.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 15, 2020 at 4:51 AM ]
If hes half as good as Deebo it's a win. In preseason he looked better than any other receiver on our roster. Really hope he comes back healthy next year

Originally posted by nj9er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Height, size, & speed reminds me of Plaxico. Also seen comparisons to Terrelle Pryor who played well in Cleveland under Shanahan but was a bust everywhere else. I hope he stays healthy and can get on the field with Deebo. You thought teams were confused with the running game with Deebo wait till we have another guy on field at the same time that can do the same things as Deebo.

Good call!

If healthy he's going to be a real weapon.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Letssssss gooooooooo!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Letssssss gooooooooo!

Great news!

Basically a draft pick this yr
Share 49erswebzone