There are 235 users in the forums

Jalen Hurd-IR-Baylor is waived

It's just projecting hope for a player on our team, nothing wrong with that. It's fun to dream about what if. Like the thought of Hurd, Taylor and McKinnon all being healthy along with our existing offense. That is truly the makings of something special IF......
Can't wIt to see what will happen next year. Niners have had 3 years in a row of a ton of injuries. Hoping next year they can get some luck on their side, stay relatively healthy and kick some butt.
  • Kyzen
Lmao, can't wait to bump this thread this time next year when Hurd is an All Pro.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I have a feeling he's going to take his easy money and bounce out of the NFL. I'm sure there is no obligation to being around the team if players are on IR, but the way Barrows wrote it, other guys were around the team.

I'm also concerned that he's not been around the team, healed up or not. One things for sure, he better be up on the playbook and be physically ready to go, if that back is fully rehabbed, no excuses. He supposedly has the attitude to go along with size and speed, so the promise is there. Hard not to get just a little excited.

I can understand if we crapped the season, but who wouldn't want to be a part of a team that's riding the wave?
Originally posted by Cutitoff:
It's just projecting hope for a player on our team, nothing wrong with that. It's fun to dream about what if. Like the thought of Hurd, Taylor and McKinnon all being healthy along with our existing offense. That is truly the makings of something special IF......
Can't wIt to see what will happen next year. Niners have had 3 years in a row of a ton of injuries. Hoping next year they can get some luck on their side, stay relatively healthy and kick some butt.

A healthy Trent Taylor and a 100% Emanuel Sanders should raise the roof on this offense.

But that doesn't change the fact that we need a legit deep threat. We have 5 chain movers...that's too many.
  • dj43
Originally posted by stefano89:
exactly. our fans should know better than any the danger of hyping a guy up before he actually does anything. anyone remember solomon thomas. R Foster. AJ JENKINS????

im excited for the potential too but until he gets out there in regular season an produces thats all it is. potential.

It was a small sample size but he made some very good plays in PS. One in particular was high-pointing a back shoulder throw for a TD.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by stefano89:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Sorry guys I'm just not bought in until I see him in a real game.

exactly. our fans should know better than any the danger of hyping a guy up before he actually does anything. anyone remember solomon thomas. R Foster. AJ JENKINS????

im excited for the potential too but until he gets out there in regular season an produces thats all it is. potential.

Pretty lazy take IMO. You could say that about any draft pick.

That's true but we know more about some guys coming out of college and have more to base our expectations on. Hurd was more of an unknown and he switched positions in college. We don't really know yet exactly how Kyle will use him so there are a lot more questions with him. Even the back, which is supposed to be healed, is still a question since backs are very unpredictable.

My understanding is this was a small fracture of the vertebral body. 3 months and some therapy should do it. But a full year he should be 100% no issues unless there is soft tissue damage which from what I hear there was not. You can't really just lump all back injuries together because there are so many different type of injuries.

Exactly! Isn't this one of the best parts of being a fan?
What harm is there in hyping a guy up a bit? I mean what's the downside? Lol
Originally posted by 49erGlory:

Exactly! Isn't this one of the best parts of being a fan?
What harm is there in hyping a guy up a bit? I mean what's the downside? Lol

being called an idiot on message boards
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Feb 13, 2020 at 5:49 PM ]
This is the stuff that get's me excited about Hurd

Jalen Hurd, Tennessee — Like Fournette, Hurd's massive frame belies his blinding speed. At 6-foot-3 and more than 220 pounds, there aren't a lot of running backs built like Hurd. There aren't many that run like him, either. Before enrolling at Tennessee, he reportedly clocked a 4.37-second 40-yard dash (at 210).

This was when he went to Baylor

If there's one thing that is known about Hurd, it's his raw talent and athletic ability. When the Baylor coaching staff put him through drills, he did not disappoint.

Hurd squatted more than 500 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash consistently in the 4.4-second range, posted a 40-inch vertical jump and ran 20-yard shuttles of 3.8 and 3.9 seconds. For some context, as cited by Hayes, the best vertical jump at this year's NFL Combine was 41.5 inches and the recent best at the combine in the 20-yard shuttle was 3.81.

Baylor assistant coach Evan Cooper lamented Hayes including the 3.8-second 20-yard shuttle in the piece, since it potentially stretches credibility even if "he absolutely did" run it that fast.

Cooper went a little further to lay props on Hurd.

"I'm telling you, we got away with highway robbery. Literally, this might be the most talented player I have ever seen."

Kid has the same athletic profile as Mike Evans (but faster/quicker) and wasn't "just" a RB at Tenn he was a top end RB recruit (5 star). He started over Kamara. I see what Kyle wants now. Dude can be used just like Deebo. He can take handoffs and catch the ball. He's a miss match nightmare. In our scheme our slot WRs (really all WRs) HAVE to be able to block. He can do this.

His issue is health and just learning the nuances of playing WR, his athletic ability/size help mask some of that until he actually get's to play WR more. He needs more time.

All I've heard/read is that he's works extremely hard, so practicing isn't an issue....

Baylor's two Jugs machines, firing passes into the biggest pair of hands in the receiving corps. Hurd's right hand is massive enough that when he shakes someone else's, the tip of his thumb can touch his other fingertips on the back side. It'll measure 10 1/4 inches when NFL scouts put a ruler on it, which would have ranked second largest among all receivers at the 2018 scouting combine. Footballs disappear into those hands like he's been playing receiver all his life, although it would be a stretch to suggest he was an immediate natural in his new role

"I couldn't even begin to count how much extra time we've spent out there," Hanna said. "If he's got to go lift or run to a meeting, he might do a quick 35 or 40. But if he doesn't have anything, we do 100 easily. He has me shoot them high, low, every kind of way."

On this day, he catches 77 of 79 balls from the machine at a variety of different angles, distances and difficulties. He's crammed his entire education at the position into just two years -- a sit-out season in 2017, per NCAA transfer rules, in which he took part on Baylor's scout team; and this year's Bears team, where he finished the regular season with team-highs in receptions (69), receiving yards (946) and yards from scrimmage (1,155), while finishing second in total touchdowns (7).

Even Hurd's staunchest critics at Tennessee concede his work ethic is unmatched. He was considered the hardest-working player on the Vols roster, a distinction that carried respect with coaches and players alike.

That get's the juices flowing for me Taking a yr off to get his body healthy IMO will be super beneficial for Hurd.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
That get's the juices flowing for me Taking a yr off to get his body healthy IMO will be super beneficial for Hurd.

I'm excited bro, but you know me... wait and see and then I come around. (like with Benson)

That's fair.

All the ability is there with this kid though. I can envision how Kyle will use him. Unlike Pettis, Hurd is all football and really wants to improve. They've had to take away the jug machines from him at Baylor lol.

Health is my only issue. Sounds like he's gonna be good to go for camp.

This is the stuff that get's me excited about Hurd

Jalen Hurd, Tennessee — Like Fournette, Hurd's massive frame belies his blinding speed. At 6-foot-3 and more than 220 pounds, there aren't a lot of running backs built like Hurd. There aren't many that run like him, either. Before enrolling at Tennessee, he reportedly clocked a 4.37-second 40-yard dash (at 210).

This was when he went to Baylor

If there's one thing that is known about Hurd, it's his raw talent and athletic ability. When the Baylor coaching staff put him through drills, he did not disappoint.

Hurd squatted more than 500 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash consistently in the 4.4-second range, posted a 40-inch vertical jump and ran 20-yard shuttles of 3.8 and 3.9 seconds. For some context, as cited by Hayes, the best vertical jump at this year's NFL Combine was 41.5 inches and the recent best at the combine in the 20-yard shuttle was 3.81.

Baylor assistant coach Evan Cooper lamented Hayes including the 3.8-second 20-yard shuttle in the piece, since it potentially stretches credibility even if "he absolutely did" run it that fast.

Cooper went a little further to lay props on Hurd.

"I'm telling you, we got away with highway robbery. Literally, this might be the most talented player I have ever seen."

Kid has the same athletic profile as Mike Evans (but faster/quicker) and wasn't "just" a RB at Tenn he was a top end RB recruit (5 star). He started over Kamara. I see what Kyle wants now. Dude can be used just like Deebo. He can take handoffs and catch the ball. He's a miss match nightmare. In our scheme our slot WRs (really all WRs) HAVE to be able to block. He can do this.

His issue is health and just learning the nuances of playing WR, his athletic ability/size help mask some of that until he actually get's to play WR more. He needs more time.

All I've heard/read is that he's works extremely hard, so practicing isn't an issue....

Baylor's two Jugs machines, firing passes into the biggest pair of hands in the receiving corps. Hurd's right hand is massive enough that when he shakes someone else's, the tip of his thumb can touch his other fingertips on the back side. It'll measure 10 1/4 inches when NFL scouts put a ruler on it, which would have ranked second largest among all receivers at the 2018 scouting combine. Footballs disappear into those hands like he's been playing receiver all his life, although it would be a stretch to suggest he was an immediate natural in his new role

"I couldn't even begin to count how much extra time we've spent out there," Hanna said. "If he's got to go lift or run to a meeting, he might do a quick 35 or 40. But if he doesn't have anything, we do 100 easily. He has me shoot them high, low, every kind of way."

On this day, he catches 77 of 79 balls from the machine at a variety of different angles, distances and difficulties. He's crammed his entire education at the position into just two years -- a sit-out season in 2017, per NCAA transfer rules, in which he took part on Baylor's scout team; and this year's Bears team, where he finished the regular season with team-highs in receptions (69), receiving yards (946) and yards from scrimmage (1,155), while finishing second in total touchdowns (7).

Even Hurd's staunchest critics at Tennessee concede his work ethic is unmatched. He was considered the hardest-working player on the Vols roster, a distinction that carried respect with coaches and players alike.

This dude's drive, work ethic, mentality and athletic ability are off the charts. Kittle-like with even more versatility.

John Chapman said on a recent podcast, he actually talked to his mom. She said he's doing well and can't wait to get back out there...FWTW.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This dude's drive, work ethic, mentality and athletic ability are off the charts. Kittle-like with even more versatility.

John Chapman said on a recent podcast, he actually talked to his mom. She said he's doing well and can't wait to get back out there...FWTW.

Nice great to hear!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Nice great to hear!

Yeah, he told me:
She seemed really optimistic and thinks he will be ready from training camp. I hope she is right.
the Zone is putting a lot of pressure on this young man.
[ Edited by ForeverYoung8 on Feb 14, 2020 at 9:26 AM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I haven't really seen that being said much at all...that's really just a straw man argument.

Reminder: This is the draft thread where you form opinions on player's skillsets and project their future with the team.

My biggest issue with your comment, the one before, and many others like it are that you wanna stay neutral towards your projection of Hurd with zero football-specific arguments made and yet diminish others who believe in and watched film of him.

As far as I'm concerned (just my opinion), all posters have three options... you like the prospect, you don't like the prospect, or you're undecided.

Why say everything you just said when your conclusion is essentially you want to "wait and see"?

I don't get it. I never have and it really gets on my nerves cause it happens so often.

I have a lot more respect for people who talk X's and O's and end up being wrong then hide behind vague stances diminishing others and not really making credible points about the prospect themselves.

First, how can one discuss X and Os about a player that's never played a down of NFL football and seriously project his impact on a team mid Championship window? Sure one can speculate but what gets me about your post is that it's as if we didn't collectively live through last years draft and all the information that came out about a player. Talk about lazy take, you don't even take a second to reference what was said about Hurd right after we drafted him. Because I have the time to do it and since you're too lax, I'll post this from his HOMETOWN paper that probably knows him best:

Hurd played running back at Tennessee for this first three seasons before he transferred to Baylor and transitioned to a slot receiver. He was the Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year led Baylor with 69 catches for 946 yards and four touchdowns.

San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan says he does not plan to ignore that bit of Hurd's history.

"We plan on him coming in as a wide receiver, but I don't think that's where it stops," Shanahan said, via The Mercury News.

Hurd is still considered a work in progress because of his relative inexperience at the position. But he offers the 49ers much with which to work. At 6-foot-5, 226 pounds, he is the biggest wide receiver on the roster. Plus, he has the skills and knowledge he developed as a running back.
https://www.nashvillepost.com/sporting-events/blog/21066289/jalen-hurd-transition-to-wide-receiver-ends-with-selection-by-san-francisco-49ers-in-2019-nfl-draft

As for injury history BEFORE we drafted him? Documented...

Third round, WR Jalen Hurd
Hurd, who stands 6-foot-4 ¾, got beat up in his first three college seasons as a running back at Tennessee.

Having already undergone two shoulder surgeries, Hurd was playing through an ankle injury as a junior when he sustained a concussion. He sat out the final four games of that season before transferring to Baylor and switching positions.

Hurd underwent knee surgery in December to repair torn meniscus cartilage. It's unclear whether he will participate in the team's rookie minicamp practices Friday through the weekend.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nfl-draft-2019-49ers-do-not-shy-away-players-injury-history

So let's be clear hear about intent; I'm not diminishing anyone's football acumen and since I SUCK at watching film I'm sure there's an army of posters out there who can break down film way better than I in their sleep than I could even with Hoodie's help.

Your bolded is no longer true; this is not a draft thread and stopped being so the day the regular season started.

Why say wait and see? Because those who are serious about football are also saying wait and see. "Work in progress." "Not yet ready to return." "Swtiching positions." Add to that he has a fractured back once he did see playing time.

So sharing my opinion about a player with this history log and again has yet to play a down of real football, it's hard to get too excited for me. And I'd say most coaches would share that sentiment too (that I know of). I wish I was making some BS straw man argument because I want to see this guy perform, contribute and impact the game like Deebo. BUT my expectations are tempered until, until I see him play a real NFL game given what we know.

Availability is *always* a football argument. Isn't it John?

Lynch said in that post-season press conference that having players healthy is key to their success going forward.

"There's an old adage in football, I don't know if it's exclusive to football, but your best ability is availability," he said.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/11/49ers-fire-head-athletic-trainer-after-injury-woes-continue/

I never said there was nothing to be concerned about with Hurd or that you shouldn't be undecided on him. Just don't come in commenting you don't understand why people formed a "high expectation" when you literally can't choose an "expectation" yourself. People on the forum do this all the time... they want to say "we don't know", "you don't know" and then say X,Y, Z, with stats or in this case local news clips to make an argument one way or the other.

"wasn't a high regarded talent in college and switched positions mid college career, was viewed as a project of draft day, had a couple of okay pre-season games"

Your post was lazy and inaccurate.

So idk why you're posting all these articles now... I never said being undecided is wrong. In fact, it's a very fair stance to have about him rn.

"how can one discuss X and Os about a player that's never played a down of NFL football and seriously project his impact on a team mid Championship window?"

But dude. Come on. Don't play dumb like we don't do this every day.
Share 49ersWebzone