LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Jalen Hurd-IR-Baylor is waived

IF he get's healthy he's a miss match nightmare.

This was when he was a RB at Tenn...

Jalen Hurd, Tennessee — Like Fournette, Hurd's massive frame belies his blinding speed. At 6-foot-3 and more than 220 pounds, there aren't a lot of running backs built like Hurd. There aren't many that run like him, either. Before enrolling at Tennessee, he reportedly clocked a 4.37-second 40-yard dash.

This was when he went to Baylor

If there's one thing that is known about Hurd, it's his raw talent and athletic ability. When the Baylor coaching staff put him through drills, he did not disappoint.

Hurd squatted more than 500 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash consistently in the 4.4-second range, posted a 40-inch vertical jump and ran 20-yard shuttles of 3.8 and 3.9 seconds. For some context, as cited by Hayes, the best vertical jump at this year's NFL Combine was 41.5 inches and the recent best at the combine in the 20-yard shuttle was 3.81.

Baylor assistant coach Evan Cooper lamented Hayes including the 3.8-second 20-yard shuttle in the piece, since it potentially stretches credibility even if "he absolutely did" run it that fast.

Cooper went a little further to lay props on Hurd.

"I'm telling you, we got away with highway robbery. Literally, this might be the most talented player I have ever seen."
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 7, 2020 at 1:10 PM ]
I imagine he and Samuel can be very good blocking WRs. I remember back in the day, we had excellent blocking WRs in Rice, Taylor, Owens and Stokes and it really helped the run game. Couple that with Juice and Kittle, and we might just have the best collection of skill position blockers in NFL history.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
I imagine he and Samuel can be very good blocking WRs. I remember back in the day, we had excellent blocking WRs in Rice, Taylor, Owens and Stokes and it really helped the run game. Couple that with Juice and Kittle, and we might just have the best collection of skill position blockers in NFL history.

Oh no doubt, that's part of the reason they were drafted. When Kyle heard AB doesn't like to block his ass was out in FA.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:

Oh no doubt, that's part of the reason they were drafted. When Kyle heard AB doesn't like to block his ass was out in FA.

Just got to hope that the back injury doesn't cut his career short.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Can you even imagine what would have happened had Hurd come thru? Maybe next yr....and don't count out Dwelley as a starter TE/WR/RB.

I wonder if we trade for Sanders if so.

Interesting thot and my guess is that look at this yr: McKinnon...never saw the field. Hurd....never saw the field. Pettis...well , res ipsa loquitur (the thing speaks for itself)...and it was disappointing.

And the point? Whereas we ended up with a very nice triumvirate of Bourne, Sanders and Deebo, all of which are pretty darn dependable...we don't truly have a #1 WR....but we have a very good receiving corps overall when you consider:

Considering receivers generically, that is a whole different ball game. Besides 3 dependable WRs, we have:

Au jus (the only one of his kind in the NFL)

Kittle (he is a sure as it gets for completions), + Dwelley , and Toilolo(altho mainly used as a blocker has hauled down a few receptions).

RBs...Brieda, Coleman, and Mostert...all very good receivers.

The key to getting a great generic receiving corps, was to do what i didn't agree with initially , but understood later. Kyle got way more "receivers" than we possibly could have needed, but look what happened. Three potential "ball catchers" never saw the field...it is almost as if kyle anticipated that when he drafted not only Deebo by followed that up with Hurd. That is way more than we needed, when you include McKinnion and pettis.

Result: we ended up with 30% more potential "ball catchers" than we needed, altho McKinnon , Pettis and Hurd fall into kyle's RB/ TE/ WR group...ok, take Pettis out of that, but still...kyle seems to have anticipated a 30% loss of receivers whether to injury, lack of talent or desire. As it turns out that is exactly what happened ....leaving us with a mere TEN excellent to very good "ball catchers". But to get there, he somehow factored in losing roughly 30% of the guys we drafted, FAed or traded for.

We don't have a Julio Jones, altho from a different position Kittle is every bit as good IMO. Point is would we be better off with Julio and one other receiver or are we better off with TEN very dependable to superb receivers, albeit from different positions? Answer to this one is pretty obvious...at least to me. We are way better off with really good "ball catchers" who come from varied positions, while at the same time most of these guys all block well and can carry the ball well.

it depends on the individual but kyle's Acquiring multiple WR/TE/ RBs has really paid off for us, but he had to take 30% more because he must have figured a 1 in 3 loss to health, desire or lack of talent. Between kyle and john, they have done themselves...and us...proud.
Team is in such good shape with the offensive skill positions, defensive line, and linebacking. They have a bunch of talent on cheap deals. In today's NFL you don't pay running backs or diva wide receivers. Once guys start to demand too much money replace them. Pay a franchise QB and to extent stud defensive linemen and find guys that fit the system for prolonged success.
Interesting thot and my guess is that look at this yr: McKinnon...never saw the field. Hurd....never saw the field. Pettis...well , res ipsa loquitur (the thing speaks for itself)...and it was disappointing.

And the point? Whereas we ended up with a very nice triumvirate of Bourne, Sanders and Deebo, all of which are pretty darn dependable...we don't truly have a #1 WR....but we have a very good receiving corps overall when you consider:

Considering receivers generically, that is a whole different ball game. Besides 3 dependable WRs, we have:

Au jus (the only one of his kind in the NFL)

Kittle (he is a sure as it gets for completions), + Dwelley , and Toilolo(altho mainly used as a blocker has hauled down a few receptions).

RBs...Brieda, Coleman, and Mostert...all very good receivers.

The key to getting a great generic receiving corps, was to do what i didn't agree with in....

I m not sure why you think sanders isn't a 1 wr. But he is. hes our guy.
Was there ever an official medical description of his injury other than a broken back?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Sanders isn't a bad #1, more than serviceable in that spot, but he's probably referring to a Julio/Thomas/Hopkins type
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Sanders isn't a bad #1, more than serviceable in that spot, but he's probably referring to a Julio/Thomas/Hopkins type

A number 1 in my book is a receiver you can put in any route and have him beat 1v1 typical defenders a high majority of the time over 2/3 matchups. They will catch catchable balls > 80% of the time. There are a few guys like that in the nfl and sanders is one.

Jones is hof. The other two are on they're way there. They are one plus receivers.
Hope he's not like Jet and Taylor. 2 years and still no sign of them ever seeing the field again. The Hope and Dream Team.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 8, 2020 at 6:57 AM ]

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Hope he's not like Jet and Taylor. 2 years and still no sign of them ever seeing the field again. The Hope and Dream Team.

Agreed but at least with Taylor, when he was on the field, he showed some promise. We have seen nothing of Jet
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Agreed but at least with Taylor, when he was on the field, he showed some promise. We have seen nothing of Jet

Too much time has passed for the Jet. Your body loses a lot of football memory and chances are, he'll never be as fast as he was. I'd love be proven wrong, but I don't think he comes back.
Originally posted by eman:
Since he missed the whole season and was on IR, do we get him for 4 more years starting the 2020 season or only 3 more seasons??

It sucks we don't don't have rds 2/3/4 but getting Hurd back and healthy will be almost like getting a new 3rd rd awarded to us !

I imagine it is 3. This isnt college football. Really looking forward to seeing him back. I thought he looked great in the pre seasons.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Since he missed the whole season and was on IR, do we get him for 4 more years starting the 2020 season or only 3 more seasons??

It sucks we don't don't have rds 2/3/4 but getting Hurd back and healthy will be almost like getting a new 3rd rd awarded to us !

I imagine it is 3. This isnt college football. Really looking forward to seeing him back. I thought he looked great in the pre seasons.

He would be a restricted free agent after the 4th year because he wouldn't have the 4 years of service time or something.
  • eman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by English:

He would be a restricted free agent after the 4th year because he wouldn't have the 4 years of service time or something.

Thanks fellas ... yeah I'm thinking there has got to be some benefit to us stashing I'm on IR all season

Makes sense that he would be restricted free agent !
Share 49ersWebzone