There are 185 users in the forums

The win over the Seahawks will be the turning point going forward for the Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by Andra:
I love that the Niners got the W over Seattle, but watching the game didn't feel like the 49ers won but more like Seattle lost. Penalties cost them, and got us a win.

The next two weeks we play teams that have already clinched there division and playoff birth. I'm not sure but I'm guessing that we are not going to seeing the Bears or Rams best. I don't mind winning seemingly meaningless games if we are truly beating playoff quality teams, it gives signs they are improving, but if we lose draft position beating their scrubs I see no benefit to that. Gives the team and fans a false since of reality about their progression as a team.
I may be wrong but aren't they still jockeying for seeding and home playoff games? But I agree, watching the 49ers beat the Rams backups last year ended with a hollow feeling of satisfaction.

You are right, my bad. Bears are 10-4 and Rams are 11-3. So we should be seeing a Bears team pressing for a win next week at least.

I love that the Niners got the W over Seattle, but watching the game didn't feel like the 49ers won but more like Seattle lost. Penalties cost them, and got us a win.

The next two weeks we play teams that have already clinched there division and playoff birth. I'm not sure but I'm guessing that we are not going to seeing the Bears or Rams best. I don't mind winning seemingly meaningless games if we are truly beating playoff quality teams, it gives signs they are improving, but if we lose draft position beating their scrubs I see no benefit to that. Gives the team and fans a false since of reality about their progression as a team.
I may be wrong but aren't they still jockeying for seeding and home playoff games? But I agree, watching the 49ers beat the Rams backups last year ended with a hollow feeling of satisfaction.

That win is what you call a meaningless victory. The victory verses the Rams last year or the one in 2016 does not compare to this victory over the Seahawks. We were talking about either two losing teams playing or a team playing their backups last year. That win did nothing and proved nothing. This on the other hand can potentially be different. Potentially. People keep asking how did those 5 wins do us this year as if we were 2-10 with Jimmy G. I don't want to hear that but we were 1-2 with him. It's was the start of the season. At the start of the season, the Bengals looked like a playoff squad, but as we have seen so often in the NFL, there is no law that states that any trend has to continue.

I think people misunderstand our situation at edge rusher. Our pass rush is putrid. Maybe the worse in the NFL. And in spite of it, we have a DT who should be getting more respect and somehow has gotten double digit sacks. If we only had an average edge rusher, it would make a world of difference. This doesn't mean I actually want an average edge rusher. I want the best available. The best available in the draft is Nick Bosa. It's likely that we won't draft him. The good news is, unlike 2018 where it was the worse pass rush class in a long time or even 2017, there are some premier edge guys with first round grades. So while we may miss out on the best guy, we are still in position to get a very capable player at our greatest position of need. That player will be helped even further if Solomon Thomas continues to provide interior pressure.

If you are pissed that we will miss Bosa, I feel your pain. But to suggest this is a one player draft is a lie. Stop the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf comparisons. If you honestly believe that, I seriously doubt you have watched college football in the last 2 years. There is a possibility that 7 edge rushers can go in the first. There is a possibility that we may move around and pick up more than 1 (in the draft). If you are worrying about the front office blowing the picks because of the 2017 draft conveniently ignores the 2018 draft. We are now officially 3-3 with the UDFA QB, which opens up another opportunity. We are slowly working ourselves into a position on offense where you can't cover everyone. This only bodes well for the future of the offense. I only wish CJ Beathard had shown more before his injury so that he could be moved this offseason for a pick. As for the defense, even if we miss out on Bosa, we will have someone that will be markedly better than who we have now. Solomon Thomas will never play edge again (at least on the right side hopefully). Hopefully Marsh is cut. We will know a lot more come free agency. Let's see what happens.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

The Bears are fighting for a bye. We will get their best.

If the Bears beat us, then the Rams will have to win to hold onto a bye. So we will get their best, too.

I stand corrected
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yet "one player" in Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper basically transformed their teams into division winners.

Sorry...this game is about talent. Winning can transform culture just as well but in reverse.

I know we need to justify losing out on a premier player at a premier need position but 99% of the players coming in already have good character, work ethics and strong belief in their abilities (winning makeup) but they ALL are leaning on the players next to them.

But the 7-1 record in December is nothing more than that once the final 2018 season whistle blows. Everything starts over after that but talent remains...

I could not agree more. You cant ask or expect players to tank but it hurt the team when it lost out on Garrett and its going to hurt the team now losing out on Bosa in my opinion.

And I do want to clarify, it wasn't just about losing out on yet, another premier ER, but losing out on the #1 pick giving Lynch full control to go in any direction he wanted and making his job a whole lot easier.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

That win is what you call a meaningless victory. The victory verses the Rams last year or the one in 2016 does not compare to this victory over the Seahawks. We were talking about either two losing teams playing or a team playing their backups last year. That win did nothing and proved nothing. This on the other hand can potentially be different. Potentially. People keep asking how did those 5 wins do us this year as if we were 2-10 with Jimmy G. I don't want to hear that but we were 1-2 with him. It's was the start of the season. At the start of the season, the Bengals looked like a playoff squad, but as we have seen so often in the NFL, there is no law that states that any trend has to continue.

I think people misunderstand our situation at edge rusher. Our pass rush is putrid. Maybe the worse in the NFL. And in spite of it, we have a DT who should be getting more respect and somehow has gotten double digit sacks. If we only had an average edge rusher, it would make a world of difference. This doesn't mean I actually want an average edge rusher. I want the best available. The best available in the draft is Nick Bosa. It's likely that we won't draft him. The good news is, unlike 2018 where it was the worse pass rush class in a long time or even 2017, there are some premier edge guys with first round grades. So while we may miss out on the best guy, we are still in position to get a very capable player at our greatest position of need. That player will be helped even further if Solomon Thomas continues to provide interior pressure.

If you are pissed that we will miss Bosa, I feel your pain. But to suggest this is a one player draft is a lie. Stop the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf comparisons. If you honestly believe that, I seriously doubt you have watched college football in the last 2 years. There is a possibility that 7 edge rushers can go in the first. There is a possibility that we may move around and pick up more than 1 (in the draft). If you are worrying about the front office blowing the picks because of the 2017 draft conveniently ignores the 2018 draft. We are now officially 3-3 with the UDFA QB, which opens up another opportunity. We are slowly working ourselves into a position on offense where you can't cover everyone. This only bodes well for the future of the offense. I only wish CJ Beathard had shown more before his injury so that he could be moved this offseason for a pick. As for the defense, even if we miss out on Bosa, we will have someone that will be markedly better than who we have now. Solomon Thomas will never play edge again (at least on the right side hopefully). Hopefully Marsh is cut. We will know a lot more come free agency. Let's see what happens.
You're 100% right. don't think that Bosa is the only player who is draft worthy. Just the premiere player at our desperate position of need. And to be perfectly honest, I don't follow college football religiously to know who else is out there. I enjoy Bowl games but my entire knowledge of players available in the draft is from the WZ and YouTube. I'm just crowding on the Bosa bandwagon from hearsay. For all I know someone like a Charles Haley in the 5th or an undrafted John Randle or Joe Perry (different positions obviously) could be our next premiere pass rusher in this years draft (plus a FA to help fill in.)
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Year three...I just can't wait for the draft, free agency and to find out who we get rid of.

Once we bounce Ward, Mitchell, Smith and Marsh, then I'll know that we're going in the right direction.

If KS/JL stink it up in FA again like 2018, most of us will be pissed to no end. They got to bring in real talent and kill it in the draft.

It doesn't seem like Saleh will be going anywhere for a while so I'm already dealing with it ... we can only hope the 3rd year is a charm. Hopefully he can do much better with guys coming back with some experience and from bringing in better talent.

Shanny already has the offense up to speed and will definitely be better next year (more talent, more experience and a better back up for JG). Barring a ridiculous amount of injuries to key players, an 8-8 record should be worst case scenario. Expectations will be high...wouldn't doubt if Vegas has our win totals above 8 wins (again). I wouldn't be shocked if we're in a dog fight for the division late in the season as well. I see playoffs.
Good post Buchy. The young players who contributed the last two weeks showed a lot of character. All these guys know is that when they are on the field they are supposed to play to WIN! They don't give a crap about a Bosa! They are playing for their OWN jobs! Andra, the Niners DID WIN THE GAME! Have you ever played a competitive sport? Because you would know that holding in football happens EVERY PLAY! And it's usually because the defensive lineman is getting the best of the offensive lineman. False starts happen when the offensive lineman is getting beat and HOLDING so he is anxious about getting his hat handed to him and jumps the count to try and hold off the D lineman. As I said before, the Niners are probably 4-6 players away from the playoffs. The draft (doesn't matter if it's the 1st pick or the 10th pick the FO has to make the right pick) should yield two or three quality starters. Free agency should provide at least one or two quality veterans. You know, this everybody getting a trophy and not understanding that in order to get some rec you have to be GOOD is really resonating throughout this forum. You cats whine, b***h, and cry and actually think a fragile football player is going to turn this thing around. Good luck to your kids!
Now that the high of a win is worn out doesn't Bosa sound better?
We're the last 2 weeks a dead cat bounce?
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
What did I say you needed to win? Talenr, coaching and effort. Tom Brady and BB are the best coach and qb tandem of all time. (sorry guys I still say Montana best qb though). You don't think that has anything to do with it? Lol. Stop being dishonest you are saying the exact same things other people have said who dug themselves into a hole.

Again... Talent, effort and coaching. The browns got new coaching and are playing better. What does that tell you? They established a culture by winning a few games?! Or maybe they are coached better and playing with more effort? A winning culture is cute but doesn't actually mean anything in the real world.

Again the fact that you can find great players at other draft slots doesn't mean that winning this game gives makes us better than landing a player like Bosa.

This is the same rehashed arguments other people who wanted this win based off their own emotions have said.

It's one thing to say if a fan should or should not root for losses. If we were having that conversation I could concede to you that hoping for losses might not be the right thing to do but yet I still want to win in the FUTURE and not now in a lost season.

It's another thing to argue that winning this one game was better than getting Bosa. There is no evidence to back up that claim so you and everyone else like you change the arguments to points like you made above.

It's embarrassing honestly.

This post makes me laugh, it's so full of inconsistency, bad logic, false equivalence, hysteria and hurt emotions.

We both agree talent, coaching and effort are required to win but your entire argument is based on the notion that getting the number one pick is the ONLY way to secure talent in the draft, having previously stated that "winning one game is not > Bosa". Then you cite Tom Brady and Bill Belichick whilst being unaware of the obvious flaw in your argument - Tom Brady was a sixth round pick and the Patriots have continually been picking late in the draft order for a decade (as I had pointed out) and therefore have secured their talent without being the number one pick, which is precisely my point. So is their success coaching or development of those players they get? It's not because TB is an incandescent talent, he's very, very good but considered a system QB by many. Aaron Rodgers is a much better QB and his career potential has never been reached because of poor coaching, poor talent but also the attitude in GB of expecting Rodgers to be able to carry every game for them. NE is successful, Pittsburgh is successful and many others not by always drafting high but by drafting smart and maximising what they get from those players. In the last 4 years we've continually picked before them, by your logic that should mean we're much more talented.

You cite talent, effort and coaching but your entire stance is based on the team displaying no effort in order to secure that number one pick. Or do you want some effort and then to lose in a "moral victory"? I strongly suspect from your posting style that if I search your username I'll find quotes saying no such thing as a moral victory - oh wait:

Oct 15, 2018 @ 8.28pm Greenbay game thread, page 194 "We add one decent edge rusher and this is a different team. I know there is no moral victories but we came to play. Proud of this team."

Oddly, that seems entirely different from your attitude to this thread, but what do you want? Effort in a losing moral victory, or to dismiss effort and coaching as secondary to talent? Because it's effort and coaching that won us this game. You don't get to claim effort matters and then criticize a win that was all about the effort of the players without looking a fool.

Almost every winning team in every sport has a game that is considered a turn around point for them, and it normally occurs the season before they go onto a great performances - such as the 1980 Week 14 game against the Saints for us.

My claim is not that winning one game is better than getting Bosa, my claim is the that the manner in which we won this game (and the Broncos) means more than the difference between Bosa and Josh Allen or Jachai Polite or whomever else because it was the character of the 53 man squad that allowed us to do that.

Your claim that there is no evidence to back up my claim that this win is better than drafting Bosa is indicative of your inability to understand the argument - my view is conjecture yes, but your view that drafting Bosa will have a better effect than winning this game is also conjecture, you have no evidence to back that claim up. However your argument is an "all eggs in one basket" approach. You, and others like you, believe wholeheartedly that the future of this franchise is tied up in the actions of one (or a handful) of players whilst I believe that the future of this franchise is in setting expectations for everyone in the franchise and meeting them.

Where your argument falls down is risk: you pin the future success on a projected performance of one (or a handful) of players that you anticipate will dominate in games (without evidence to back up your claim) without addressing the argument of what the team does if that player ends up injured, a bust or struggling. What then? Should the team just pack it in for the season so we can pick high again next year? That is the heart of your logic and that attitude breeds losers.

So in conclusion, the only embarrassing things in this thread are your blatant about-face from what you posted in the Green Bay game day thread and your illogical and inconsistent mind.

Originally posted by Buchy:
Which franchise is the most consistent play-off team over the last decade? New England, they are almost never picking high in the draft. Same with the Steelers, the Seahawks, the Saints, the Chiefs and others.

You mention the Browns, but how were they playing under Hugh? They have turned around because of a culture change brought about by new Coaches. The Vikings and Bears have done the same.

You act is if talent can only be found in the top 5, talent can be found throughout the draft but what a team does with the talent, how they coach it and the expectation they set for it is more important.

Which number one picks of recent years are dominant game changers? You cite Garrett but what about Donald, Watt and Mack? All picked around or later than we are projected to pick.

A winning culture and the coaching expectation is more important than the talent difference between two players selected 5 or 6 picks apart.

This is a great post...and for the most part, I agree with it. I think that a good argument could be made for both sides here. However, when I hear comments from coaches (either current or former) and players, it seems like wins like this last one, can be turning points.

My history as a fan of the Niners goes back to 1970 so I clearly recall that in 1980, the year before the first SB, the Niners came back to win a completely meaningless game against the Saints at Candlestick when they were down 35-7 at halftime. When the team grew into champions later, many players and coaches sited that game as a real turning point for the franchise because of the confidence that it gave them.

The win cost the NIners draft position and they finally dropped to slot number 8 in the following draft. They ended up picking a guy named Ronnie Lott. I'm not stating that the win over the Seahawks will be a turning point, I'm stating that it could be.

Cheers!

BTW, I wrote this before I read Buchy's previous post mentioning that game in 1980 so we are both on the same page...
[ Edited by longterm9erfan on Dec 19, 2018 at 9:05 AM ]
riginally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
riginally posted by Mertonschickendance:

LOL...or just the #1 pick in general. The Bears should curb stomp us and ruin any taste of that 2-game winning streak.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Niners should go 0-16 the next 5 years so we can have the first pick each year. We'll be competing for Super Bowls in no time!

they should all be close losses so we can continue to tout moral victories. sunday was a nice win over a team that has dominated us. nothing more. speaking of pure lol conjecture. thinking sunday was some sort of a turning point in our franchise is. well pure lol conjecture and there is no history to prove it otherwise. did winning at the end of the year and making sing our head coach turn our team around? and last years meaningless five game win streak has been well documented
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL...or just the #1 pick in general. The Bears should curb stomp us and ruin any taste of that 2-game winning streak.

Nope I have worn my YUCK FOU SEATTLE shirt all week and will be wearing many more times. And when Seattle miss the playoffs this year I will be making sure to remind ever Seahawks fan I come across that the 9ers personally knocked there arses out. And the taste of that win will never be washed out.
Share 49ersWebzone